The Ultimate Soccer Thread 2010-2011 VOL. Premier league, La Liga, Serie A & Bundesliga

Jeez...Colombia have missed two wide open chances.

They're probably going to end up at 10 men sooner or later, so they really should have finished those.

Jeez...Colombia have missed two wide open chances.

They're probably going to end up at 10 men sooner or later, so they really should have finished those.

Both teams should be ashamed after that performance.

Argentina for obvious reasons: you have all that world class talent and you barely get a legit shot on goal against Colombia.

Colombia will probably be applauded for playing Argentina to a draw, but they EASILY could have won this game with even average finishing. Two WIDE OPEN chances were missed, and the sub at the end decides to take a 30 yard shot straight at the keeper instead of laying it off to Moreno, who would have had a much easier chance.

Terrible soccer all around.

Both teams should be ashamed after that performance.

Argentina for obvious reasons: you have all that world class talent and you barely get a legit shot on goal against Colombia.

Colombia will probably be applauded for playing Argentina to a draw, but they EASILY could have won this game with even average finishing. Two WIDE OPEN chances were missed, and the sub at the end decides to take a 30 yard shot straight at the keeper instead of laying it off to Moreno, who would have had a much easier chance.

Terrible soccer all around.

Another draw by the host nation unfortunately. Romero had some nice saves. As for Messi, he had a long season, the touches he has been getting in these past games have been meh and his team hasn't been playing up to par, dude really looked frustrated and spent. How often do you hear him get booed off?

But both teams could and should have played better and hopefully they will in later games

Another draw by the host nation unfortunately. Romero had some nice saves. As for Messi, he had a long season, the touches he has been getting in these past games have been meh and his team hasn't been playing up to par, dude really looked frustrated and spent. How often do you hear him get booed off?

But both teams could and should have played better and hopefully they will in later games

that was a good match. I like Colombia's physical and athletic play, they could have won bt they just didnt take advantage of some key opportunities.

Does anyone know why Rodallega wasnt playing? falcao, rodallega, Guarín, and ramos paired together would be
pimp.gif

as for argentina, hard to blame it on the coach cause the players just arent showing their class out there, but damn Sergio Batista starts Lavezzi again! i mean i agree with having tevez play

more central, but surely aguero/di maria would be better...And again, same as last match, messi's influence on the game is limited when hes forced to play the role of creator, having two

defensive midfielders (Mascherano and Cambiasso) with a good but not amazingly creative banega is strangely not working for them...

looking forward to seeing brazil now...

that was a good match. I like Colombia's physical and athletic play, they could have won bt they just didnt take advantage of some key opportunities.

Does anyone know why Rodallega wasnt playing? falcao, rodallega, Guarín, and ramos paired together would be
pimp.gif

as for argentina, hard to blame it on the coach cause the players just arent showing their class out there, but damn Sergio Batista starts Lavezzi again! i mean i agree with having tevez play

more central, but surely aguero/di maria would be better...And again, same as last match, messi's influence on the game is limited when hes forced to play the role of creator, having two

defensive midfielders (Mascherano and Cambiasso) with a good but not amazingly creative banega is strangely not working for them...

looking forward to seeing brazil now...

Originally Posted by Jada2001Retro

Messi doesn't even look like he cares.

This,

I think we've seen this throughout his games in the National Team, He's nothing compared to what he does in Barca.

This,

I think we've seen this throughout his games in the National Team, He's nothing compared to what he does in Barca.

Argentina's midfield is way too stale. Mascherano, Banega, and Cambiasso aren't providing effective service and distribution for the forwards. Banega was effective early, but he was dropping too far back and wasn't dynamic enough in attack as the game progressed. I think Pastore in a No. 10 role, with Messi cutting in, and Higuain through the middle would liven up the attack. Whatever they do, they need Messi on the end of more of their chances. Lavezzi was wasteful all night and should be on the bench from here on out.

That central backline looks shaky as well. Milito and Burdisso were both just awful.

As for Messi looking like he didn't care, that's nonsense. What possible reason could he have to not give it his all? He was just frustrated.

Argentina's midfield is way too stale. Mascherano, Banega, and Cambiasso aren't providing effective service and distribution for the forwards. Banega was effective early, but he was dropping too far back and wasn't dynamic enough in attack as the game progressed. I think Pastore in a No. 10 role, with Messi cutting in, and Higuain through the middle would liven up the attack. Whatever they do, they need Messi on the end of more of their chances. Lavezzi was wasteful all night and should be on the bench from here on out.

That central backline looks shaky as well. Milito and Burdisso were both just awful.

As for Messi looking like he didn't care, that's nonsense. What possible reason could he have to not give it his all? He was just frustrated.

Agree, Messi just seems more comfortable playing with his teammates in Barca than with Argentina.

Agree, Messi just seems more comfortable playing with his teammates in Barca than with Argentina.

Yeah, it's a little easier to be comfortable when you have Xavi and Iniesta hitting you right on the spot with their passes.

Right now (and I'm not saying this can't change), it seems that Messi is a system player while Maradona was the system. Maradona dominated and won on both international and club level. Other than the 1986 World Cup, he led a Napoli team that had never won a damn thing before to two Serie A titles. Messi on the other hand is playing for the best club in the world, that would've won without him as well. Unless he does something about the enormous gap between his play for Barca and Argentina, there will always be a good counter-argument against him being the GOAT.

What a disappointment this whole Copa America has been so far. This is the first time I've tried to watch it. Two out of three of the games Argentina and Brazil have played have ended 0-0 and the last one was a draw as well.
sick.gif

Yeah, it's a little easier to be comfortable when you have Xavi and Iniesta hitting you right on the spot with their passes.

Right now (and I'm not saying this can't change), it seems that Messi is a system player while Maradona was the system. Maradona dominated and won on both international and club level. Other than the 1986 World Cup, he led a Napoli team that had never won a damn thing before to two Serie A titles. Messi on the other hand is playing for the best club in the world, that would've won without him as well. Unless he does something about the enormous gap between his play for Barca and Argentina, there will always be a good counter-argument against him being the GOAT.

What a disappointment this whole Copa America has been so far. This is the first time I've tried to watch it. Two out of three of the games Argentina and Brazil have played have ended 0-0 and the last one was a draw as well.
sick.gif

Originally Posted by PrurientSole

I'm putting faith in Wenger.

Charlie Adam to Liverpool to be completed within 24 hrs.
To me, the second item contradicts the first statement.

8 mil for a proven EPL midfielder in Adam or 11 mil for a unknown quantity, relative to the EPL, in Gervinho?

Of course, Arsenal chooses the latter.

I've wanted Arsenal to sign Adam ever since there was talk of him leaving Blackpool in January's transfer window.  His quality on the ball, toughness, and creativity are all tailor-made for Arsenal football, and yet they don't even give him a look while preparing to lose Cesc and Nasri.  $%@%*%@ ludicrous.

I hate to sound negative all the time regarding Arsenal, but I just have no idea what they're doing right now.

Right now Arsenal is trying to keep both.  Nothing is a done deal yet in regard to those two.  Everyone keeps talking like it is.  I like Adam  but he can't come in and replace Nasri or Cesc.  Gervinho doesn't even play the same position as Adam so I'm not sure what he has to do with it anyway.

Originally Posted by PrurientSole

I'm putting faith in Wenger.

Charlie Adam to Liverpool to be completed within 24 hrs.
To me, the second item contradicts the first statement.

8 mil for a proven EPL midfielder in Adam or 11 mil for a unknown quantity, relative to the EPL, in Gervinho?

Of course, Arsenal chooses the latter.

I've wanted Arsenal to sign Adam ever since there was talk of him leaving Blackpool in January's transfer window.  His quality on the ball, toughness, and creativity are all tailor-made for Arsenal football, and yet they don't even give him a look while preparing to lose Cesc and Nasri.  $%@%*%@ ludicrous.

I hate to sound negative all the time regarding Arsenal, but I just have no idea what they're doing right now.

Right now Arsenal is trying to keep both.  Nothing is a done deal yet in regard to those two.  Everyone keeps talking like it is.  I like Adam  but he can't come in and replace Nasri or Cesc.  Gervinho doesn't even play the same position as Adam so I'm not sure what he has to do with it anyway.

Argentina really are pathetic.

The case with many players in the summer.  This might sound silly or foolish, but once summer is here,  players are thinking about vacations, not playing soccer.  Last year Messi played in the Word Cup, and started training with Barca once again when it was over leaving him no time for a vacation/break.  He just dosen't want to focus on Soccer right now and just wants to relax, take a break, and go on vacation.  This has happened to Ronoldinho before aswell, why do you think he didn't play in the Confederations Cup a couple years back along with several members of the Brazilian National team.
Offtopic a little bit, Coentreo leaving Benfica 
indifferent.gif
 (Favorite team) for Real Madrid (Favorite Spanish team) is leaving me a little
frown.gif

Argentina really are pathetic.

The case with many players in the summer.  This might sound silly or foolish, but once summer is here,  players are thinking about vacations, not playing soccer.  Last year Messi played in the Word Cup, and started training with Barca once again when it was over leaving him no time for a vacation/break.  He just dosen't want to focus on Soccer right now and just wants to relax, take a break, and go on vacation.  This has happened to Ronoldinho before aswell, why do you think he didn't play in the Confederations Cup a couple years back along with several members of the Brazilian National team.
Offtopic a little bit, Coentreo leaving Benfica 
indifferent.gif
 (Favorite team) for Real Madrid (Favorite Spanish team) is leaving me a little
frown.gif

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

sick.gif

Didn't want to be the first person to say it but I completely agree at the moment of Messi being a "system player".
But the guy is 24 so he obviously has plenty of time to add to an already illustrious career. When some of the
current Barca players turnover and we see some new faces, if Messi can continue his absolutely incredible
pace then yes along with some international success the counter-arguments will start to die out. But to match
his current pace will be incredibly difficult to do.

Also for people saying Messi doesn't care? I just can't agree with that, its his regions championship, basically the
2nd biggest tournament that he will play in for his country and its in Argentina. Fatigue may be catching up with him
but its definitely not because he doesn't care.
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

sick.gif

Didn't want to be the first person to say it but I completely agree at the moment of Messi being a "system player".
But the guy is 24 so he obviously has plenty of time to add to an already illustrious career. When some of the
current Barca players turnover and we see some new faces, if Messi can continue his absolutely incredible
pace then yes along with some international success the counter-arguments will start to die out. But to match
his current pace will be incredibly difficult to do.

Also for people saying Messi doesn't care? I just can't agree with that, its his regions championship, basically the
2nd biggest tournament that he will play in for his country and its in Argentina. Fatigue may be catching up with him
but its definitely not because he doesn't care.
indifferent.gif

If you're a Messi fan, you better hope he doesn't care when playing for Argentina at the moment. Because if he does care and he's giving everything he has, then that is a true problem.

Back
Top Bottom