The Ultimate Soccer Thread 2010-2011 VOL. Premier league, La Liga, Serie A & Bundesliga

don't forget that it is extremely expensive to play at the highest level of youth soccer. this isn't europe or south america where the best young talent is identified and properly trained. you have to sign up and pay alot of money to play in top tier clubs and tournaments, but that is a result of a profit driven club and youth soccer system. now alot of mls teams are seeing the incentives in grooming youth, and their academy teams are about as diverse as they can get.

Originally Posted by o fenomeno

don't forget that it is extremely expensive to play at the highest level of youth soccer. this isn't europe or south america where the best young talent is identified and properly trained. you have to sign up and pay alot of money to play in top tier clubs and tournaments, but that is a result of a profit driven club and youth soccer system. now alot of mls teams are seeing the incentives in grooming youth, and their academy teams are about as diverse as they can get.

+1.

The US needs to start scouting at a much younger age as opposed to simply doing "college scouting". There are too many talented players who do not go college for various reasons and this talent is being forgotten!  Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems that only the US focuses their scouting on high school/college as opposed to other countries. I do not recall Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, Spain, etc picking up their best players from universities; they have scouts searching for raw talent from a very young age. Problem is that the US lacks soccer infrastructure and unfortunately they can only pick from a selected group of players.

Originally Posted by o fenomeno

+1.

The US needs to start scouting at a much younger age as opposed to simply doing "college scouting". There are too many talented players who do not go college for various reasons and this talent is being forgotten!  Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems that only the US focuses their scouting on high school/college as opposed to other countries. I do not recall Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, Spain, etc picking up their best players from universities; they have scouts searching for raw talent from a very young age. Problem is that the US lacks soccer infrastructure and unfortunately they can only pick from a selected group of players.

The problem is that all other American sports use the NCAA as a feeder/training system, so naturally, the MLS does it as well. Economically its the most sensible way to go, but not neccessarily for the betterment of the sport.

The problem is that all other American sports use the NCAA as a feeder/training system, so naturally, the MLS does it as well. Economically its the most sensible way to go, but not neccessarily for the betterment of the sport.

We're moving away from the collegiate feeder system. There were only two or three college players on the entire U20 squad, everyone else was in a DA or pro, that's never happened before.

The NCAA will still serve its purpose. Boys whose professional futures aren't quite as certain as some of their more talented peers getting an education while still having the option to take their game to the next level in the future.

Ideally the quality of college ball will continue to improve, the Brit influence and overemphasis on athletic ability will continue to lessen, and MLS will continue to rely on the NCAA less and less as it's primary source for player development in favor of the DA's. The latter has already happened.

We're moving away from the collegiate feeder system. There were only two or three college players on the entire U20 squad, everyone else was in a DA or pro, that's never happened before.

The NCAA will still serve its purpose. Boys whose professional futures aren't quite as certain as some of their more talented peers getting an education while still having the option to take their game to the next level in the future.

Ideally the quality of college ball will continue to improve, the Brit influence and overemphasis on athletic ability will continue to lessen, and MLS will continue to rely on the NCAA less and less as it's primary source for player development in favor of the DA's. The latter has already happened.

Completely agree with AJ who asserted that we mimic the British system that hasn't produced results since 1966. That's one of the biggest problems. The Brits and now us Americans tend to scout the fastest, tallest, and most athletic young players who dominate their peers due to those attributes, although they may not be better technical footballers. This scouting is fine for basically ever other sport, but technical ability is key in football. Years later, those kids who were getting dominated can now compete athletically after development, yet the difference in technical skill remains.

Completely agree with AJ who asserted that we mimic the British system that hasn't produced results since 1966. That's one of the biggest problems. The Brits and now us Americans tend to scout the fastest, tallest, and most athletic young players who dominate their peers due to those attributes, although they may not be better technical footballers. This scouting is fine for basically ever other sport, but technical ability is key in football. Years later, those kids who were getting dominated can now compete athletically after development, yet the difference in technical skill remains.

What I find most frustrating about the British influence on the American game is how easy it is for British coaches to walk in and immediately command respect. You see it from the earliest youth ranks all the way up to the NCAA.

Coaches whose pedigrees and track records aren't overly impressive but they have a British accent so it's more than all good right off the bat.

The favoritism and preferential treatment shown to British coaches in America is
30t6p3b.gif

What I find most frustrating about the British influence on the American game is how easy it is for British coaches to walk in and immediately command respect. You see it from the earliest youth ranks all the way up to the NCAA.

Coaches whose pedigrees and track records aren't overly impressive but they have a British accent so it's more than all good right off the bat.

The favoritism and preferential treatment shown to British coaches in America is
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by JOE CAMEL SMOOTH

went to the game, enjoyed seeing spain work the us over

not a fan of the us players or coach to be honest. always been a fan of the spanish team since i was little too so it's great to see them play so well the last few years
silva played out of his mind today. alonso cazorla and ramos were great too i thought. solid defending in the first half especially by pique.

nice to see torres knock one in, he didn't get too many touches but when he did he looked great imo.

iniesta had some flashes but you could tell he was on vacation 

villa tried hard but it wasn't his night. whatever, he's a scoring machine for spain when it counts.
I have a lot of national pride but i feel the same way.  I just don't like our team and i don't really know why.

Can we please stop hyping up our team like we are going to be good.  I hate John Harkes and his terrible commentary about how good Joze Altidore is and how we have a bright future and all this other nonsense.  Can the dude at least do something on the international level before we crown him?  He was bragging about our young defender in the middle (ream or something) dude got torn apart, granted by probably the best international team in the world but still.  I just think that all the announcers try to make it seem like we are good at soccer.

"Oh we didn't have landon play so 4-0 wouldn't have been the score if he played" *#$! i bet it would have been the same exact score.  We are not good at soccer.  Just please say, "The US really can't compete with the top tier of national powerhouses but they may have some pieces to build around".  Everytime i hear Harks or Winalda speak i feel like im in the jordan brand thread with people pre ordering and hyping up GR's and fusions.

not a fan of the us players or coach to be honest. always been a fan of the spanish team since i was little too so it's great to see them play so well the last few years
silva played out of his mind today. alonso cazorla and ramos were great too i thought. solid defending in the first half especially by pique.

nice to see torres knock one in, he didn't get too many touches but when he did he looked great imo.

villa tried hard but it wasn't his night. whatever, he's a scoring machine for spain when it counts.
I have a lot of national pride but i feel the same way.  I just don't like our team and i don't really know why.

Can we please stop hyping up our team like we are going to be good.  I hate John Harkes and his terrible commentary about how good Joze Altidore is and how we have a bright future and all this other nonsense.  Can the dude at least do something on the international level before we crown him?  He was bragging about our young defender in the middle (ream or something) dude got torn apart, granted by probably the best international team in the world but still.  I just think that all the announcers try to make it seem like we are good at soccer.

"Oh we didn't have landon play so 4-0 wouldn't have been the score if he played" *#$! i bet it would have been the same exact score.  We are not good at soccer.  Just please say, "The US really can't compete with the top tier of national powerhouses but they may have some pieces to build around".  Everytime i hear Harks or Winalda speak i feel like im in the jordan brand thread with people pre ordering and hyping up GR's and fusions.

Originally Posted by Jking0821

Agreed 100%
And US announcers/talking heads get so delusional about the US team.....every time they play a top opponent there are so many comments about how they have a chance to "prove themselves" on a huge stage blah blah blah

Are you serious? Win or lose you're still a third-teir side at best. You think some fluke win against Spain or Argentina in a friendly is going to validate them? Are you that short-sighted and biased? The soccer media's proclamations after the US beat Spain in the Confed. Cup was a joke 
laugh.gif

You think you're gonna be able to compete with a team that's essentially Barcelona - Messi + Real Madrid? Are you joking? You have like two players playing at mid-tier Premier League clubs. One MLS "star." I know it's not the players' faults that the media overhypes the team but it rubs me the wrong way.

Get real.

Agreed 100%
And US announcers/talking heads get so delusional about the US team.....every time they play a top opponent there are so many comments about how they have a chance to "prove themselves" on a huge stage blah blah blah

Are you serious? Win or lose you're still a third-teir side at best. You think some fluke win against Spain or Argentina in a friendly is going to validate them? Are you that short-sighted and biased? The soccer media's proclamations after the US beat Spain in the Confed. Cup was a joke 
laugh.gif

You think you're gonna be able to compete with a team that's essentially Barcelona - Messi + Real Madrid? Are you joking? You have like two players playing at mid-tier Premier League clubs. One MLS "star." I know it's not the players' faults that the media overhypes the team but it rubs me the wrong way.

Get real.

Agreed 100%

laugh.gif

Get real.

just like univision and fox sports en español

comparing chicharito to messi
sick.gif

and then comparing hugo sanchez to cristiano ronaldo
sick.gif

Agreed 100%

laugh.gif

Get real.

just like univision and fox sports en español

comparing chicharito to messi
sick.gif

and then comparing hugo sanchez to cristiano ronaldo
sick.gif

I don't disagree that the media overhypes the NT, but that happens almost anywhere. And obviously it could have been a different game had our A-team been out there the whole game. Not saying we should have won or anything ridiculous like that, but we did beat Spain 2-0 in the Confederations Cup in 2009. I think we are what we are, a team that is going to make the world cup, going to usually get out of the group, and then maybe win a game.

I don't disagree that the media overhypes the NT, but that happens almost anywhere. And obviously it could have been a different game had our A-team been out there the whole game. Not saying we should have won or anything ridiculous like that, but we did beat Spain 2-0 in the Confederations Cup in 2009. I think we are what we are, a team that is going to make the world cup, going to usually get out of the group, and then maybe win a game.

I know I'm going to get flamed but why are you guys excited to watch the Gold Cup?

Cuba, Guadeloupe, Grenada? Serious?

I know I'm going to get flamed but why are you guys excited to watch the Gold Cup?

Cuba, Guadeloupe, Grenada? Serious?

Back
Top Bottom