The Ultimate Soccer Thread 2011-2012. VOL 2 (EPL,LFP, SERIE A, BUND, ETC.)

I wouldn't mind Demps for extra cheap if they don't pick M'Vila

Is it possible RVP has an amazing euro cup and prices himself out for Arsenal?

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

Originally Posted by AZwildcats

Originally Posted by emier2

i think today's game is the beginning of mexico's ascension into the soccer elite. they've always had the pace and technical talent, but they've lacked discipline and size up front. the lack of a bigger striker was the biggest reason they would struggle in many games against elite teams (argentina, spain, germany, etc.)- they wouldn't be able to finish scoring opportunities. now that they have chicarito (and denegris behind him), they final have a legitimate striker, easily their best sign borghetti (probably since sanchez). You add in talents like guardado and gio and factor they abundant talent at the youth levels (jonathan dos santos at barca, ulises davila at chelsea, marco fabian), mexico will become a force to be reckoned with. They're only going to gain experience and confidence on their way to world cup 2014. too bad its being held in brazil. this wouldve been mexicos chance to win it all....
As a US fan it frustrates me to see Mexico headed in the opposite direction as us. They talent Mexico is going to tap into in the next couple years is excellent. On the other hand we have no where near the talent coming in, and this current group looks like its peaked. 
tired.gif
I'm sorry but there's no way the United States is regressing on any level, not by any metric. 
and out of the current group, none of these guys are anywhere close to peaking.

Jozy Altidore - 22yo coming off best season of his career 

Fabian Johnson - 24yo coming off first season as a full-time starter in the Bundesliga

Michael Bradley - 24yo coming off best season of his career and one of the most sought after transfer market targets in his league

Jose Torres - 24yo proven pro looking for a move to Europe

Geoff Cameron - 26yo unusually early in development and on his way to Europe

Brad Guzan - 27yo still very early in his GK development

Terrance Boyd - 21yo not even an established pro

Eric Lichaj - 23yo hardly an established pro, EPL starter second half of the season

Tim Ream - 24yo third year pro and instant starter on (albeit) relegated EPL side

Daniel Willaims - 22yo second year pro

Joe Corona - 21yo second year pro

Juan Agudelo - 19yo second year pro

At the youth level there's an unprecedented amount of talent both abroad and domestically, the U.S. will be just fine. The grass aint that much greener. 
I hope your right 
frown.gif

Originally Posted by tonton32

^^^my thoughts exactly...similar story to javier and the WC, had we signed him after the tournament he would of cost so much more.

im surprised juventus signed kwadwo asamoah, i rate him highly. but do they need pogba now?

I didn't know the deal for Asamoah was done.  I thought it was still up in the air. 
Pogba is immediately going out on loan to Udinese.

Originally Posted by quik1987

I wouldn't mind Demps for extra cheap if they don't pick M'Vila

Is it possible RVP has an amazing euro cup and prices himself out for Arsenal?

Very possible. 

Rumours:

Midfielder Gylfi Sigurdsson, 22, says he does not expect to stay at Swansea next season following his loan spell and admits he is considering following Brendan Rodgers to Liverpool.

QPR and Sunderland are keen on 26-year-old former Everton and Portsmouth midfielder Manuel Fernandes, who is now a free agent.

Alan Pardew has lined up another Senegalese striker, Copenhagen's 27-year-old Dame N'Doye, if Demba Ba quits Newcastle this summer

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson lines up moves for Everton and England left-back Leighton Baines and ­Tottenham midfielder Luka Modric after signing Japan midfielder Shinji Kagawa for an initial £12m.

I think Shinji is a great talent, but I am just wondering if Fergie will adapt tactically, because I don't think that Kagawa is a 4-4-2 player. I think that at that price you have to applaud United for getting that player, but I'm not fully sure he will be able to thrive in the current Utd. system.

Originally Posted by hugebird

I think Shinji is a great talent, but I am just wondering if Fergie will adapt tactically, because I don't think that Kagawa is a 4-4-2 player. I think that at that price you have to applaud United for getting that player, but I'm not fully sure he will be able to thrive in the current Utd. system.

United's system will change. It's clear that a new midfield overhaul is needed, thus I figure changing the formation will most likely happen...

^yup, we already saw signs of it last season, we started out the campaign with an emphasis on short passing and fluid movement (a la nani's first goal vs city) but sadly we didnt have the personnel to sustain it all year...but it remains to be true that sir alex more than often does the complete opposite of what the fans expect with his formation and side
laugh.gif
...so who knows really

as talented as he is,Utd fans shouldn't expect too much from Kagawa...he needs some time to understand the English game...
i'm guessing he won't even be a regular in his first season...think CR7 when he first came to Old Trafford...

i think eventually Sir Alex will mould him into the system...

an honest question though...what type of a player is Kagawa and what's his best position?i don't subscribe to the Bundesliga(yes,futbol isn't free here
30t6p3b.gif
)
good technique,good pace and a lot of movement in the final third...and from the highlights that i've seen,Kagawa seems more comfortable with the ball...
looks like he's a very different player compared to Scholes...
Originally Posted by eiddyfouw

United's system will change. It's clear that a new midfield overhaul is needed, thus I figure changing the formation will most likely happen...

it won't,my friend...the standard 4-4-2 has been United's blueprint for success for almost two decades now...
frankly,i don't expect Sir Alex to change that anytime soon...

Originally Posted by Keepie Uppie

as talented as he is,Utd fans shouldn't expect too much from Kagawa...he needs some time to understand the English game...
i'm guessing he won't even be a regular in his first season...think CR7 when he first came to Old Trafford...

i think eventually Sir Alex will mould him into the system...

an honest question though...what type of a player is Kagawa and what's his best position?i don't subscribe to the Bundesliga(yes,futbol isn't free here
30t6p3b.gif
)
good technique,good pace and a lot of movement in the final third...and from the highlights that i've seen,Kagawa seems more comfortable with the ball...
looks like he's a very different player compared to Scholes...

it won't,my friend...the standard 4-4-2 has been United's blueprint for success for almost two decades now...
hes not like paul really, hes more of attacking central midfielder, not really suited to be lying deep.. he excels in a system that is based on short passing and fluid movements with a lot of creative runs being made from the wings and strikers, which he saw plenty of in the dortmund side. we can provide similar movement with the pace and creativity of nani, young, valencia, welbeck, javier, evra, and rooney. Kagawa has a decent goal tally, but i will admit striking the ball is a area that he needs to work on..comfortable on ball with great vision and poise, he is surely a candidate for uniteds poor mans imitation of david silva.

been hearing that hes as good or better than gotze from unfamiliar united fans..and i can say with no doubt in my mind gotze is by and large a better player and prospect but thats saying more about mario then taking away from our man..im excited to see how he gets on, and curious to see how we play cleverley now.

Originally Posted by StrictlyAirJordans23

Originally Posted by ELCHAPULINCOLORADO

Come on now, every country has delusional fans...not just México. Not too long ago, U.S. "fanboys" decided they were going to be WC contenders because they eliminated Spain from the Confederations Cup. And don't even get me started on the Freddy Adu, Brek Shea, and Juan Agudelo hype wagon they had going on.Also, even though it was a U-23 Brasil along with 3 senior players (silva, hulk, and marcelo) , that was probably somewhat the strongest squad they have today. Apart from Dani Alves and David Luiz, Players such as Maicon, Robinho, Kaka, Lucio, Ronaldinho, and the rest of the names we were use to seeing in Brasil call-ups are all past their prime and have not been performing well enough to deserve a call up.

cmon son

we are talking about wprld class players.

only a mexico fan would think the following
chicharron, guardado, dos santos,marquez and barrera>>>>>>>>> an aging maicon, robinho, kaka, lucio and dinho

but in reality
an aging maicon, robinho, kaka, lucio and dinho>>>>>>>>>>> chicharron, guardado, dos santos,marquez and barrera

30t6p3b.gif

Who's saying that? I don't know any Mexicans that are saying we have better quality players, including the names you mentioned.Mexico has to settle with what we have, Brasil don't. We only have a few players competing in top class leagues, Brasil don't. Brasil is not like Mexico and the U.S, they don't have to call up players simply because they play in a top club even thouh they are off form because they have other world class players that are in form. In my opinion, an IN FORM Marcelo, Neymar, Hulk, Silva, Pato>>>>>>> OFF FORM Maicon, Robinho, Lucio, Kaka, and Ronaldinho..........which is the squad the U.S. lost 4-1 and Mexico beat 2-0.Chicharron? Really? Im not even going to debate with you anymore because you sound like the typical Centralamerican who always tries to discredit every little bit of glory Mexico gets...no offense to Centroamericanos, i have nothing against them.

you are seriously lying to yourselve. me and you know damn well that almost everymexican supporter always thinks that mexico is top class

im mexican and salvadorian, but i can care less for both teams.
i bet you are one of those fans that was agreeing with fox sports deportes that were comparing to chicharito with messi
sick.gif

Originally Posted by trunks206

Originally Posted by laker4lifeman

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

tumblr_lagmmcoRmD1qbrh53o1_500.jpg
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

laugh.gif
pimp.gif

There seems to be a big divide amongst Arsenal fans as to whether they would like us to sign Clint. I think he'd do great at Arsenal. He'd bench Ramsey instantly and would compete with Rosicky for first choice AM and I'd allow jack to come back slowly and not put our title chances on his shoulders after being out a whole year.
Reasons for Clint Dempsey to Arsenal: 
1) He wants to play in the Champions League

2)He has goals in him (Our midfield return for goals this year was a total joke) Which imo is why we need a upgrade on AM over a DM. Our attack is so inept at times we have 8 players in the opponents half...catching us on the counter is too easy but if our back 4 (+ Song) were able to concentrate on defending we'd look solid. We have the individuals to make a great defense, the tactics we employ makes them look like crap.  

3)He's 29 so he's experienced and wont need time to adapt to the PL (plus he wont "kill" young player X's development
30t6p3b.gif
 ) 

4)He works super hard and looks hungry to score goals. No Arshavin. 

5) Probably the most important factor...he wont cost that much ~10m

Sign him up Arsene and go for Gotze next summer as maybe be will want to leave Dortmund then.
I am absolutely in this camp. I think Dempsey is quality. He has proven that he can score goals which none of Arsenal's current midfielders can really say aside from Arteta on free kicks. I also don't think M'Vila is a need given the make-up of the team, unless he is going to take over Arteta's spot. Depth is always good though as long as the players accept it. Arsenal also really need a fullback to back up Sagna and Gibbs if neccessary. Personally, I don't like the formation we play. I think that Walcott and inevitably Podolski would be better served in a more central role like a 4-4-2 or a 4-3-1-2

Originally Posted by Keepie Uppie

I have a feeling it will.  I remember after the Barcelona final our playing style changed.   
I've seen talk of this line up....

(4-2-3-1 / 4-3-3)

De Gea

Jones   Vidic  Ferdinand  Evra

Scholes    Fletcher

Valencia  Kagawa   Young

Rooney

Ferguson knows that the game has changed, that formation may have worked well in the past when we were kings, but there's new royalty in the land, and we need to adapt. 

Shinji needs space to roam behind strikers. 

Originally Posted by DLo13

ESPN ranks the top 40 at the Euros...

Debate.

#1: Ronaldo, POR
#2: Iniesta, SPA
#3: Xavi, SPA
#4: Robin van Persie, NED
#5: Mesut Ozil, GER
#6: Wayne Rooney, ENG
#7: David Silva, SPA
#8: Zlatan Ibrahimovic, SWE
#9: Bastian Schweinsteiger, GER
#10: Arjen Robben, NED
#11: Luka Modric, CRO
#12: Franck Ribery, FRA
#13: Iker Casillas, SPA
#14: Wesley Sneijder, NED
#15: Cesc Fabregas, SPA
#16: Philipp Lahm, GER
#17: Karim Benzema, FRA
#18: Thomas Muller, GER
#19: Daniele De Rossi, ITA
#20: Gerard Pique, SPA
#21: Mario Balotelli, ITA
#22: Nani, POR
#23: Joe Hart, ENG
#24: Sergio Busquets, SPA
#25: Manuel Neuer, GER
#26: Steven Gerrard, ENG
#27: Christian Eriksen, DEN
#28: Mario Gomez, GER
#29: Samir Nasri, FRA
#30: Andrea Pirlo, ITA
#31: Mario Gotze, GER
#32: Gianluigi Buffon, ITA
#33: Juan Mata, SPA
#34: Xabi Alonso, SPA
#35: Giorgio Chiellini, ITA
#36: Ashley Cole, ENG
#37: Sami Khedira, GER
#38: Sergio Ramos, SPA
#39: Klaas-Jan Huntelaar, NED
#40: Yann M’Vila, FRA
In the immediate top-10, even as an ardent Madrid supporter, I'd have Ibra and David Silva over Ozil. Maybe even Bastian. Keepers rated for this tournament in my view should be: Neuer, Casillas, Hart. Pirlo is more important to Italy than De Rossi. Benzema should be higher, Muller lower. ESPN must expect a big tourney for Eriksen, but I'm not quite sure we see it in the "Group of Death." Ramos higher, Nasri lower. At the beginning of the 2011-2012 campaign, Gotze was my player to watch for Euro 2012. Thought he would steal the show for Germany on the way to winning the tournament. However, injuries have plagued his form and the likelihood is far less of that occurring. 

cmon son

we are talking about wprld class players.

only a mexico fan would think the following
chicharron, guardado, dos santos,marquez and barrera>>>>>>>>> an aging maicon, robinho, kaka, lucio and dinho

but in reality
an aging maicon, robinho, kaka, lucio and dinho>>>>>>>>>>> chicharron, guardado, dos santos,marquez and barrera

30t6p3b.gif

Who's saying that? I don't know any Mexicans that are saying we have better quality players, including the names you mentioned.Mexico has to settle with what we have, Brasil don't. We only have a few players competing in top class leagues, Brasil don't. Brasil is not like Mexico and the U.S, they don't have to call up players simply because they play in a top club even thouh they are off form because they have other world class players that are in form. In my opinion, an IN FORM Marcelo, Neymar, Hulk, Silva, Pato>>>>>>> OFF FORM Maicon, Robinho, Lucio, Kaka, and Ronaldinho..........which is the squad the U.S. lost 4-1 and Mexico beat 2-0.Chicharron? Really? Im not even going to debate with you anymore because you sound like the typical Centralamerican who always tries to discredit every little bit of glory Mexico gets...no offense to Centroamericanos, i have nothing against them.

you are seriously lying to yourselve. me and you know damn well that almost everymexican supporter always thinks that mexico is top class

i bet you are one of those fans that was agreeing with fox sports deportes that were comparing to chicharito with messi
sick.gif

I can already tell you're and armchair fan/internet fan. I've been to Monterrey, Guadalajara, D.F., Torreon, Zamora and have had hours-long conversations about our league and other European leagues and national teams with family and friends....throughout the years i have never, i repeat HAVE NEVER, heard a Mexican fan claim that Mexico produces better talent than Brasil, Argentina, Spain, Getmany, etc.Your dislike for Mexican fans is seriously blinding you.

sick.gif

I can already tell you're and armchair fan/internet fan. I've been to Monterrey, Guadalajara, D.F., Torreon, Zamora and have had hours-long conversations about our league and other European leagues and national teams with family and friends....throughout the years i have never, i repeat HAVE NEVER, heard a Mexican fan claim that Mexico produces better talent than Brasil, Argentina, Spain, Getmany, etc.Your dislike for Mexican fans is seriously blinding you.

ive been to tijuana and your point is?

then its obvious that you havnt crossed with the fans that i deal with all the time.

sick.gif

ive been to tijuana and your point is?

then its obvious that you havnt crossed with the fans that i deal with all the time.
the thing is, im guessing you speak to an average person that watches 1 futbol picante a year and thinks hes an expert, or ask them whos on the bench for the mexican team and hell say borguetti or hugo sanchez,  ask any mexican that ACTUALLY follows the mexican league (nueva Liga MX 
grin.gif
) and knows who the players are/where they play, and were not delusional at all, if i ask my mom or my 11 year old cousin, sure theyre gonna say mexico is the best in the world and javi hernandez can run with messi and c.ronaldo (well maybe not my cousin)...

...yes im full blodedd mexican, yes i live IN mexico and have lived all my life, my thoughts on this whole discussion?? posted it a couple of pages ago...

"no flipping way we win the world cup, hey! im happy if we get to a 5th game!
laugh.gif
, mexicos game IS getting better but in no way are we real contenders yet, (this has nothing to do with yesterdays game because we shouldn't have won), the players are actually believing we can beat the big boys, and that comes from some of them actually playing in europe (or training in gios/barrera/efras case
laugh.gif
), our lower age squads are getting used to winning, 2 u17 world cups, 3rd place un the u20 WC, our u23 just won toulon promises and is GREATLY improving (after a horrible copa america), u15 squad just won a golden talent thing in the netherlands...

im looking ahead to 2018 when these new generations, i mean both of the squads that won the u17 wc are old enough to play side by side, i have high hopes, if mexico wins a WC before i die im gonna die a happy mexican, im 27 and i can only dream
laugh.gif
"

EDIT: come see for yourself guys, cordially invited to a xolos game this upcoming season and ask ANYBODY in the stadium about our seleccion, i live in tijuana
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

laugh.gif
@ Zlatan being #8. Dude has been the third best player in the world over the last year.

Ozil hasn't been as good as last season. I wondered what their rationale has been for putting him so high. I figured it must be because he won La Liga.. But then I saw Benzema at #17. No RM fan will tell you that Ozil was better than Benzema this previous season.
Strange how few people realize this about Ozil, and it's not like he had an incredible first campaign either. Of course he's an excellent player, but to call him the fifth best European is outrageous. Somehow, he's becoming known as the second best player on Real, when in reality he's their fourth or fifth best attacker. Don't mean to denigrate his talent, because I wouldn't be surprised if he racked up a bunch of assists as Germany ran riot. His vision and final ball are top class. 
Ibra would be fourth on my list, but Iniesta and Xavi are still the best midfielders in the world, and deserve their rankings imo. I'd rate Ribery over Robben at this point, and Pirlo and Alonso should be significantly higher (though oddly enough I don't think Alonso should be starting for Spain).  

laugh.gif
 @ Fabregas even being on it and at #15 

laugh.gif
 @ Cesc not being in the top 50. You just start watching football last season? He led all of Europe in chances created during his time at Arsenal, is only 25, and his qualities make him one of the best midfield talents in Europe. Seems most have forgotten this since he came to Barca and spent the season adjusting and playing out of position.

Jermaine Defoe's father just passed away 
frown.gif

Daily Rumours...

Queens Park Rangers have made an audacious bid to sign Montpellier and France striker Olivier Giroud, 25, who is rated at £50m by his club.

Tottenham's Croatian winger Niko Kranjcar, 27, is leaving in a cut-price £4m move to Dynamo Kiev.

Chelsea are considering a £20m move for Everton's 24-year-old Marouane Fellaini, who tops their list of candidates for a midfield enforcer.

New Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert is set to return to Norwich to sign striker Grant Holt, 31, after the Scot revealed there is no agreement in place about him signing his former players.

[font=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]United ready to offer 22m for Modric (I don't think this is true, or going to happen, or it's a smoke screen.  If Spurs turned down 40m from Chelsea why would 22m work today?  Even if Modric wanted out really badly, what would stop Chelsea from coming in and saying...here's 35m)[/font]

[font=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]
[/font]

Liverpool are targeting Manchester City winger Adam Johnson, 24, with a bid set to be in the region of £16m, and will hope to lure him with the promise of regular first-team football.

Steve Bruce is expected to be named as Hull’s new manager today. (The Sun)

[font=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]
[/font]

Ajax defender Jan Vertonghen could complete his move to Tottenham this week, according to the player's agent.

Nicklas Bendtner looks ready for another season in the Premier League after hiring an English agent to sort out his future.

Carlos Tevez is staying at Manchester City – forcing Edin Dzeko out of the exit.

Tim Cahill is considering leaving Everton for a new challenge in the Middle East having already rejected a multi-million move to Saudi Arabia.

Branislav Ivanovic is unsure whether he will be at Chelsea next season after distancing himself from claims made by a man claiming to be his agent in the Italian media yesterday.

Barcelona are ready to turn to Chelsea hero David Luiz as their search for a new central defender intensifies. (Daily Mail)

Tottenham are targeting either Bologna's Gaston Ramirez or Juventus ace Milos Krasic as a replacement for Rafael van der Vaart, who has been linked with a move to Schalke. (Daily Star)

Yossi Benayoun is expected to announce his departure from Chelsea this week, with West Ham, Ajax and Maccabi Haifa all keen. West Ham are also interested in Argentina midfielder Claudio Yacob, 24, a free agent after leaving Racing. (Daily Mail)

Jay Rodriguez is set to seal his £7m switch to Premier League Southampton today in a deal that will take Richard Chaplow back to Burnley. (Daily Star)

Pavel Pogrebnyak has yet to agree a deal with Fulham, with whom he has just finished a short-term deal, as Reading wait in the wings. (Daily Mail)

Southampton are to offer £3.5m for England goalkeeper Jack Butland, 19, though Spurs and Manchester City are also keen. (Daily Mail)

Tottenham are bracing themselves for manager Harry Redknapp to walk away from the club this summer.

[/font]

[/font]

RIP Manuel Preciado.24 hours after Preciado agreed to become Villareals new coach he did by heart attack.
Bert van Marwijk not amused about racial slurs mady by Wisla Krakow fans.
Di Matteo could be also next season coach at Chelsea.
Chelsea lost the ground for a new stadium Battersea Power Station to malaysian investors.
Former Schalke player Wilmots new Belgium coach.
Bielsa stays in Bilbao.

Further transfer rumours:
Gattuso in talks with Glasgow Rangers (probably true).
Inter wants Thomas Müller.

Krancjar to Dynamo Kiev.

Originally Posted by engoi

Chelsea lost the ground for a new stadium Battersea Power Station to malaysian investors.

damn! i really wanted to see that happen, it would look cool

United's new signing...Henriquez
18 year old...

8 goals...10 appearances recently.

He has potential to be a star in the future. Only picked him up for 3m.  I think for this reason, United will leave Nick Powell alone now. Besides, I believe Chelsea are also interested in Powell.

Daily Rumours

Manchester Cityare preparing to take advantage ofDaniel Sturridge'scontract stalemate atChelseaby making an imminent £10 million move for the forward. (Goal.com)

Newcastleare weighing up a move forSalomon Kalou.Boss Alan Pardew is looking to bolster his impressive attack, which already includes Papiss Cisse. (talkSPORT)

Luka Modricis on his way toManchester United.Boss Alex Ferguson has offered Tottenham a £25million fee, rising to £30m based on appearances and success. (The Sun)

Manchester City forwardAdam Johnson’swages are threatening to scupperSunderland’s attempts to sign him this summer. (Daily Mail)

Tottenhamhave been rebuffed in a bid to lureGonzalo HiguainfromReal Madrid.Intermediaries acting on the club's behalf sounded out the Argentina striker. (Daily Mail)

Back
Top Bottom