The Ultimate Soccer Thread 2011-2012. VOL 2 (EPL,LFP, SERIE A, BUND, ETC.)

Originally Posted by CripwalkinK

Well deserved goal for Hargreaves. He's gone through a lot. Shout out to him and his Canadian roots.
pimp.gif

pimp.gif

Originally Posted by CosmicCanon

Following Messi and Ronaldo, who are the best players in order?
Xavi, Iniesta>>>>Messi and Ronaldo IMO. Xavi should have gotten Player of the Year especially after his World Cup performance. Iker Casillas is another one who should always be in contention for Player of the Year. Other than that it's always difficult to identify the best players since most players go through periods of time or even an entire year where they don't do @#$%. Right now I'd have to say Rooney; he came back into form later in the season last year, but after he got his new hairline, he's become even more of a monster
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
laugh.gif
Dude is gonna have another 2009 type year. Aguero is killin it right now too. And even though they're not doing much right now, Sneijder and Eto'o. Eto'o needs to be on a real squad, and whoever replaces Gasperini better let Sneijder play instead of pulling him when you need goals
indifferent.gif
Nesta is a beast as well. When Puyol is healthy he's up there in best player discussions too
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by nawlinsjunkie

Xavi, Iniesta>>>>Messi and Ronaldo IMO. Xavi should have gotten Player of the Year especially after his World Cup performance. Iker Casillas is another one who should always be in contention for Player of the Year. Other than that it's always difficult to identify the best players since most players go through periods of time or even an entire year where they don't do @#$%. Right now I'd have to say Rooney; he came back into form later in the season last year, but after he got his new hairline, he's become even more of a monster
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
laugh.gif
Dude is gonna have another 2009 type year. Aguero is killin it right now too. And even though they're not doing much right now, Sneijder and Eto'o. Eto'o needs to be on a real squad, and whoever replaces Gasperini better let Sneijder play instead of pulling him when you need goals
indifferent.gif
Nesta is a beast as well. When Puyol is healthy he's up there in best player discussions too
pimp.gif
S&T soccer opinions never fail to amaze me. So Xavi and Iniesta are better than Messi now? I know it makes you seem super-knowledgable to talk about how good Xavi is, but you really think he's a better player than Leo Messi? And Ronaldo? You have a Barca avatar, but I find it hard to believe that you've watched them play over the last couple of years if you think Xavi is a better player than Messi. I don't even know what emoticon to use here, so I'll just use a bunch. 
tired.gif
sick.gif
indifferent.gif
grin.gif
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
laugh.gif
indifferent.gif
pimp.gif
S&T soccer opinions never fail to amaze me. So Xavi and Iniesta are better than Messi now? I know it makes you seem super-knowledgable to talk about how good Xavi is, but you really think he's a better player than Leo Messi? And Ronaldo? You have a Barca avatar, but I find it hard to believe that you've watched them play over the last couple of years if you think Xavi is a better player than Messi. I don't even know what emoticon to use here, so I'll just use a bunch. 
tired.gif
sick.gif
indifferent.gif
grin.gif
eyes.gif
Xavi and Iniesta's impact on a game>>>>>>>>>Messi and Ronaldo's. We're lucky to have picked up Fabregas because having Iniesta out is a huge blow to how Barca's "system" works. If you watched any of Barca's games, we've struggled alot against bull @#$% teams whenever Xavi or Iniesta was out.  I'm pretty sure I'm not the only Barca fan who would agree with this, even a casual viewer could point this out
indifferent.gif
Plus how is my opinion even ridiculous when all 3 of them were in the top 3 for Player of the Year award
indifferent.gif
  Messi is one of my favorite players but god damn people give him WAY too much credit. Barca's midfield can even make clowns like Pedro look like world class players

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
laugh.gif
indifferent.gif
pimp.gif
Complete nonsense. Xavi and Iniesta are better than Messi ? Nesta is in the discussion? Puyol???

Your argument for Xavi and Iniesta is fraught with fallacies. Just because they play in the midfield and see a lot of the ball, doesn't mean they impact games more than, or are better than Messi, who is up there with the greatest players in history in terms of talent. If Messi played in the midfield he'd be the best midfielder in the world. His pace, dribbling ability, final ball, etc make playing too deep a waste of his ability, thus he plays a free "false 9" role.

Originally Posted by abovelegit1

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
laugh.gif
indifferent.gif
pimp.gif
Complete nonsense. Xavi and Iniesta are better than Messi ? Nesta is in the discussion? Puyol???

Your argument for Xavi and Iniesta is fraught with fallacies. Just because they play in the midfield and see a lot of the ball, doesn't mean they impact games more than, or are better than Messi, who is up there with the greatest players in history in terms of talent. If Messi played in the midfield he'd be the best midfielder in the world. His pace, dribbling ability, final ball, etc make playing too deep a waste of his ability, thus he plays a free "false 9" role.
Maybe I'm just extremely biased towards midfielders, but did Xavi and Iniesta not dominate the World Cup last year? I'm not just talking about Barca. And you don't think Nesta and Puyol are 2 of the best defenders in the game right now? Maybe I came off the wrong way... I'm not downplaying Messi's importance. Like I said he's one of my favorite players, and he deserved to be in the top 3 for the "Best Player" title, but IMO it should have gone to Xavi this year. There's a reason why he was even in the top 3, and many die-hard Barca fans that I know agree with me. Not saying I'm right and you're wrong, but to call my opinion "complete nonsense" when many soccer fans would agree with me is foolish. Barca would be a strong team with or without Messi. Without that midfield though? I doubt it

They dominated the World Cup on one of the best international sides in recent memory. Easier to look great when your side is two and three deep at every position. Maybe Xavi should have won the award, but that doesn't mean he's better at football than Leo Messi. Not even close, really. Referencing the fact that you know some Catalans who would agree with you means nothing. Xavi is from Terassa, of course they'd want to see their man win a prestigious award. And it is complete nonsense to think that anyone on Earth is a better footballer than Messi, sorry. 

Nesta and Puyol don't belong anywhere near a greatest players in the game discussion. This isn't 2005; Vidic, Silva, and Pique are better CBs off the top of my head.

Originally Posted by abovelegit1

They dominated the World Cup on one of the best international sides in recent memory. Easier to look great when your side is two and three deep at every position. Maybe Xavi should have won the award, but that doesn't mean he's better at football than Leo Messi. Not even close, really. Referencing the fact that you know some Catalans who would agree with you means nothing. Xavi is from Terassa, of course they'd want to see their man win a prestigious award.

Nesta and Puyol don't belong anywhere near a greatest players in the game discussion. This isn't 2005; Vidic, Silva, and Pique are better CBs off the top of my head.
Yeah I'm probably just biased
laugh.gif
. I agree Messi is the most complete player in terms of skill, but I still think Xavi and Iniesta are more important in terms of controlling the game. Messi can save Barca when they're playing like trash just off his individual skill alone but I don't expect him to be able to do that every game. When Iniesta and Xavi struggle, the whole team struggles and all the pressure is basically put on Messi. And Pique turned into garbage ever since he started smashing Shakira
tired.gif
hopefully he'll be better this season after he recovers

I stopped reading after I saw Poyul's name.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
 The post reaks of homerism.

Oh and imo Xavi is pretty overrated, Cesc will surpass and bench him in no time.

laugh.gif
at the backtracking. Messi won World Player of the Year in a WC year despite the fact that his team got knocked out in the quarters. He finished ahead of Xavi and Iniesta, who won with Spain. When is the last time a player won World Player of the Year in a WC year without even making the semis of the WC. That should tell you all you need to know.
30t6p3b.gif

And I won't even get to Puyol and Nesta.
laugh.gif
I take it you saw Milan-Barca and thought Nesta looked good so you included him in a discussion of the TOP PLAYERS IN THE WORLD RIGHT NOW.
30t6p3b.gif

I wouldn't even be mad, but you're trying to educate people based on pure nonsense. Let someone in the know answer the question.

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

laugh.gif
at the backtracking. Messi won World Player of the Year in a WC year despite the fact that his team got knocked out in the quarters. He finished ahead of Xavi and Iniesta, who won with Spain. When is the last time a player won World Player of the Year in a WC year without even making the semis of the WC. That should tell you all you need to know.
30t6p3b.gif

And I won't even get to Puyol and Nesta.
laugh.gif
I take it you saw Milan-Barca and thought Nesta looked good so you included him in a discussion of the TOP PLAYERS IN THE WORLD RIGHT NOW.
30t6p3b.gif

I wouldn't even be mad, but you're trying to educate people based on pure nonsense. Let someone in the know answer the question.
Yea, Xavi, Iniesta, Rooney,  and Sneijder are nowhere near the best players in the world
eyes.gif
Complete nonsense on my part just because I have them in a different order according to MY OPINION
indifferent.gif

I put SOME of the players that I personally like that I feel are near the top of their positions. Puyol will always be one of the best defenders TO ME, probably cause I'm a homer yes. I even put that WHEN HEALTHY, which he hasn't been consistently for a while. Nesta has been one of my favorite players since I started watching the game, despite me hating AC Milan. Don't make assumptions

Backtracking? Care to explain that? I STILL think that Xavi and Iniesta are more important to Barca than Messi.  Messi and Ronaldo are the players with the most skill but do not single handedly decide their team's success. You're accusing me of homerism but you're acting like there aren't mass numbers of Messi stans throughout the world that make excuses all the time like "Oh he's not being used properly for Argentina"
laugh.gif
And obviously Fabregas will take over Xavi's spot since the latters getting older

laugh.gif
@ Someone in the know. You're the ultimate authority in football/soccer, right? My bad. According to your logic, Maicon is the best defender in the world after winning the award right? OK

Not only was Xavi robbed of WPOY that season, Sneijder was the most deserving imo and he wasn't even in the top 3 nominations. That award means nothing in discussion to me.

laugh.gif
 Wow Hargreaves, so you score one goal and you think you're the @$+@ now? United's medical staff is at fault for the longevity of your injuries? What an ungrateful prick, can't wait till derby day when Vidic snaps you in half

Originally Posted by JordanHead718212

laugh.gif
 Wow Hargreaves, so you score one goal and you think you're the @$+@ now? United's medical staff is at fault for the longevity of your injuries? What an ungrateful prick, can't wait till derby day when Vidic snaps you in half
that's about a month from now...he's not gonna make it that far...
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Keepie Uppie

Originally Posted by JordanHead718212

laugh.gif
that's about a month from now...he's not gonna make it that far...
laugh.gif

he wont even break into the first team i bet

Jack is out until Christmas!? God damn it! All these supporters whining for a new coach need to direct it to getting a new medical staff because the current set are obviously useless and have been for some time. 10 day diagnostics turn into a player being out half a season far to often. smfh

On the bright side we will then be seeing more Rosicky in midfield...soooooo first place will soon be ours %%++%@+!

Good build-up play and Ramires adds the 2nd.

And just as always anything positive Torres does, is erased immediately, as he is red-carded for a two footed challenge.

Ramires managed to finish?
eek.gif

pimp.gif
@ AVB putting Lampard on the bench. Although I'm sure he'll be back against Valencia...

Another non-fluid half of football from Arsenal. Gervinho had a golden chance in the 7th min but his first touch let him down and since them we haven't look very convincing despite dominating possession. Hopefully we play better after the break.

Back
Top Bottom