The Ultimate Soccer Thread 2012-2013 Vol. 3 Premier League, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga etc

Bale did play in the middle last yr.. and he did a good job when asked too.. I can see Carlo asking both Bale and Cr7 to Rotate with Benz.. Madrid should just sell us Modric.. Rotate Ozil/Isco Di Maria/Bale and call it a day.. Why doesnt Madrid, just use that money and buy both Aguero and Suarez..

All this talk of positions is making my head hurt.

I know I've asked this before, but can someone go in depth about all the positions?

WTF is a number 9 and 10? What about the numbers before that?
laugh.gif
11 = usually a midfielder or a forward/winger--> think Bale, Robben (Dutch), RvdV (Spurs)

10 = Second Striker/Creative Mid (or best player on team) --> think Messi, Mata, Gotze (Dortmund), Ozil, Hazard (Belgium)

9 = Striker/Center Forward/Goal Scorer --> think Ibra, Torres (Liverpool days), Drogba, Balotelli (Italy), Falcao, Eto, Benzema

8 = another # for Creative Mid --> think Iniesta, Eriksen, Xavi (Spain), Nasri

7 = not really fixed to a certain position but could be for wingers or midfielder--> think Ronaldo, Di Maria (Argentina), Walcott (England), Ribbery or Ramires, Milner, Fernandinho (Shaktar)

6 = usually midfielder or defender --> think Xavi, Alcantara, Kheirda

5 = usually midfielder or defender --> think Essien or Puyol, Contrao, Vermaelan

4 = usually defender --> think Luiz, Metesecker, S. Ramos, J. Martinez (Spain)

3 = usually defender --> think Pepe, Pique, Bocanegra, A. Cole

2 = usually defender --> think Fabio, T. Silva, Varane

1 = goalie --> Buffon, Cech, Lloris, Howard
perfectly well put and repped.

only going to add that those are for the starting XI for the most part, yes they can stray but it's relatively the same in most leagues. and since those who aren't in the starting XI they get other numbers. sometimes the young ones who come from academy are given ridiculously high numbers like Bertrand(34) and Ake (57) both from Chelsea. once you're good enough you take a new number if you like and move on up if your a starter now. Balotelli for example believed him getting the number 45 back in the academy for him (I forgot which) was lucky to him and used it all the way until his move to Milan. oh and Italians, Russians, and Portugese speaking players and countries love real high numbers like 80's and above

^ The fellow up there sort of got it with a couple things that are debatable, simply because different nations had different numerology and it wasn't really uniform (haha) but honestly it's really not even used by most of the world anymore.

If any of you guys are really interested in beginning to understand the tactical elements a bit better, Barnes and Noble or your local bookstore (Amazon) should have a book called "Inverting the Pyramid: The History of Football Tactics" that gives you good insight on the tactical evolution on the game in broad, as well as very specific terms.

It's funny, Pirlo is one of the very few players almost everyone likes.

Looks like Levy & The Spurs are negotiating the deal now. The price seems to be €115 million & it's being reported Levy was Modric to return & not any of the players mentioned previously...

It's funny, Pirlo is one of the very few players almost everyone likes.

Looks like Levy & The Spurs are negotiating the deal now. The price seems to be €115 million & it's being reported Levy was Modric to return & not any of the players mentioned previously...

That's a great deal for the Spurs. AVB really wanted a creative midfielder since he was appointed after they sold Modric and went after Moutinho. Despite how good Modric is, RM have too many quality midfielders on the team and young guns looking to keep. They have Jese, Denis, Isco, Illa, Casemiro who are young and need some time to burn. I really think they need to get rid of Di Maria and one of their DEF Mids to allow their young players to grow. Di Maria would be an easy sell to Monaco and Khedira (assuming they want to keep Xabi). I also believe RM shouldn't go after a striker, give Morata a chance to show something like RM did with Higuain and it won't cost them 40+ euros. Worst case RM should put Jese, Denis, or Casemiro on loan like Barca did with Deulofeu. Same goes with Chelsea.

An unnamed Tahiti player failed a doping test at the Confederations Cup
By Brooks Peck | Dirty Tackle – 59 minutes ago
Email

(Getty)
As the smallest nation to ever compete in a FIFA senior tournament, Tahiti were the undisputed darlings of the Confederations Cup. A team almost entirely comprised of amateurs, they played for the fun of it and as a result, were held up as the embodiment of all that is good and pure in this gruff, bitter and money obsessed modern era. But now, just to remind you that everything is awful and innocence is a myth, FIFA has announced that an unnamed Tahitian player has been provisionally suspended for failing a doping test conducted after Tahiti's final group-stage match against Uruguay (which they lost 8-0).
From FIFA.com:
The chairman of the FIFA Disciplinary Committee has provisionally suspended a Tahitian international footballer for an initial period of 30 days and opened disciplinary proceedings, following an adverse analytical finding in relation to a doping control conducted after the FIFA Confederations Cup Brazil 2013 match played in Recife on 23 June 2013.
Following the provision of the “A” sample result, the player waived his right to request the analysis of the “B” sample.
FIFA can't publicly report the name of the player in question, what the substance was or what the punishment will be until after a hearing has been held.
When you're caught doping after losing all three matches by a combined score of 24-1, you would hope that the disciplinary committee would have mercy on you and let it slide. I mean, if Tahiti lost 10-0 to Spain even with the aid of banned substances, just think how much worse it could have been without them. If anything, FIFA probably should've pumped Tahiti full of more of them.

After the way Modric left Spurs...why on earth would he not drag his feet on the Bale (potentially adding Modric + cash) deal?

I don't know why Spurs would even consider a deal with Modric after he stated he didn't want to play at that level and left the club...

Il Faraone.

Looking like a City/Bayern Audi Cup Final.

Random thought: Expect Napoli to challenge Juve for the league.

After the way Modric left Spurs...why on earth would he not drag his feet on the Bale (potentially adding Modric + cash) deal?

I don't know why Spurs would even consider a deal with Modric after he stated he didn't want to play at that level and left the club...

New coach?

New coach?

AVB was the coach when he left.

And Spurs are not in the CL so there's no way in hell he'd move back

I forgot Modric burned his bridges at Spurs. Looks like Man Utd would be a possible destination if he were to be sold.

This is what I'm talking about. You can play Bale as a goalie if you guys want but RM wants him as a striker.

From the UK Guardian
"....But this is Madrid, so Bale will probably be signed, and this is Ancelotti, so Bale will start regularly. His development into a pure attacker capable of scoring goals regularly means it's unthinkable he would revert to his old left-back position, and it also seems unlikely Ancelotti would field Bale as an out-and-out left-winger – he appears restricted in that position, forced to dribble down the line before crossing rather than charging towards goal.
I have been shooting a lot more and I have been coming inside a lot more too," Bale said. "I have a few less assists but I am in more scoring positions and that has helped my scoring tally.""

Anyway Iets see what happens. I am not in charge of RM.

Last edited:
All this talk of positions is making my head hurt.

I know I've asked this before, but can someone go in depth about all the positions?

WTF is a number 9 and 10? What about the numbers before that? 
laugh.gif

louislagerfeld in the modern game when you hear someone say so and so is a #9 or so and so is a #10 they're speaking in specific tactical terms, generally in reference to the 1-4-3-3 formation or one of its many variations and the # represents a specific role within the system. 

9/CF

7/LW              11/RW

8/AM     10/AM

6/CDM

2/LB                   5/RB

3/CB  4/CB

Based on traditional squad numbers but like hugebird mentioned it doesn't translate really since traditional number systems have varied throughout history depending on region and era.

I wouldn't think of it terms of the numbers players wear on their shirts. Managers rarely assign squad numbers that way anymore. For an example, Xavi might wear #6 but in the modern game he's a #8, Sergio Busquets on the other hand  is a an archetypal #6.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom