The Uniform of a coach in baseball.... VOl BLOWS MY MIND

OK- I do not watch baseball, nor have I played ..EVER. So I was watching Sports Center and saw an old dude talking to an umpire... And I was like ..DAMN dude is old.. and my boy said "thats the coach"...

WTF????

WHY.. in Baseball does the coach wear a full blown uniform? Is he going to ******G bat next? I mean what other sport does the coach do this????

Coach Belichick wears that cutoff
roll.gif
and thats the closest thing to a uniform... I mean at least hes not in pads and a helmet..

You didnt see Pat Riley in nut huggers and a jersey did you???

I just need yall input on this ish-

my mom has always hated the fact that mangers wear uniforms.

she says she's glad other sports don't. she never wanted to see the zen master in a lakers uni on the sideline coaching.

That has always made me laugh...there's no real reason for it. Logically, they should follow the NFL model and just wear team sweatshirts and that type of thing, but after over 100 years, it's probably more a tradition than anything.

Sure would be weird to see Jason Garrett in full uniform, logo-forming receiving gloves and all. :lol:

When baseball started, Managers were a selected player from the team, they would be player-managers. As time went on and baseball evolved, Managers then started to be hired just to manage. Wearing the uniform has been tradition, you don't mess with tradition.

Seriously tho, you must be like 11 years, right? Or maybe you just started getting cable.

Last edited:
When baseball started, Managers were a selected player from the team, they would be player-managers. As time went on and baseball evolved, Managers then started to be hired just to manage. Wearing the uniform has been tradition, you don't mess with tradition.
Seriously tho, you must be like 11 years, right? Or maybe you just started getting cable.
26, Didnt like baseball in the 5th grade so i ignored it, Didnt even buy griffeys n ish-

26, Didnt like baseball in the 5th grade so i ignored it, Didnt even buy griffeys n ish-

Have you ever watched a Sportcenter in your 26 years of living? Not one baseball highlight? Never seen a manager argue with the umpire?

Damn bro :lol:

Why do some of you guys expect OP to know something like this if he states he doesn't watch baseball? I never understood why they wore full blown uniforms either, but I appreciate Couplet88 for the answer.

Some of you guys need to loosen up and stop pretending to know everything

I use to wonder this too but I never gave a **** to make a thread about it and I like baseball.

:lol: @ the bing link. Better than google and I still never use it.

Last edited:
-edit: took me too long to get the pictures, and Couplet88 beat me to the explanation

Baseball has an extremely long legacy of Player/Managers.
This is not so common now [hasn't been one in many years actually] but when you consider that baseball goes back as far as the civil war, and professional baseball goes back to the 1880's its easy to see why the sport began with a culture of Player/Manager. The rules of baseball require the manager to wear the uniform because, as someone stated above, the baseball manager is the only on field "coach" of the 4 major sports.

Now does that mean that it doesn't sometimes look ridiculous to have some fat old doddering grandpa in a uniform? Of course not. Someone like Charile Manuel does look silly

But if you tried to tell someone like Jim Leyland to put on a suit, he'd probably rip your nuts off

you gotta respect the tradition of baseball, even if it looks a little weird sometimes

In my opinion though, what really looks ridiculous is a guy in a $8,000 armani suit sitting on a folding chair with a bunch of sweaty basketball players

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom