the Vans thread...

First pair in about 10 years. Really digging these in person.
Vegggie tans?

Also one of my Peanuts x Blends x Vans orders got cancelled, the size 5 order to be specific, so be on the look out for a restock hopefully.

Size 6 order is still up and strong. *fingers crossed*

Got my pair of those new Taka Hayashi white canvas sneakers today from the delivery guy... they're real nice. 

I can't believe how buttery soft the suede & the inside ankle leather lining is, and the canvas on the shoe feels high quality (Feels nice and tough). The pair came in a nice red sliding box with a nice cream dustbag and an extra pair of cream/white waxed cotton rope laces.

Yeah. 

I actually have a decent amount of toe room and I went TTS (10). Would I be able to get away with a 9.5 being a wide footer?
Would this apply to old skools as well?

I just seen em at the local vans store so i'm going to return an impluse buy adidas for these bad boys.

Quick shipping.

Big shout out threegeees threegeees

Just picked these slip ones from J crew.com. I had a $25 birthday coupon code and used it in them.

Last edited:
Just bought a pair of veggie tan old skools and wanted to speed up the patina darking process on them so I purchased some Obenauf's leather oil.

I've heard that the quality isn't really up to par with other veggie tan leather goods so I was wondering if there's anyone that has some tips for applying oil? Not really sure if it's even worth it to use oil and maybe I should just let them age naturally.

Just bought a pair of veggie tan old skools and wanted to speed up the patina darking process on them so I purchased some Obenauf's leather oil.

I've heard that the quality isn't really up to par with other veggie tan leather goods so I was wondering if there's anyone that has some tips for applying oil? Not really sure if it's even worth it to use oil and maybe I should just let them age naturally.

Let me know how it works out, my pair isn't turning and I wear them frequently in hopes lol

They aren't real veg tanned leather so not gonna age. Wore mine every day for almost 3 months with nothing to show from it except a huge bloody gash on my right heel. No aging or patina. Just regular wear and creases. I retired them for the time being

@ThreeGeees

Vans website states they are "deluxe" leather using a vegetable tanning process. I've seen pics in this forum where someone darken the leather by using the oil from their hands & rubbing shoes for 10 mins every night. So it is possible to change patina on them, seems to me that it just takes a long time.

@bwood056

Going to apply oil tomorrow around noon when sun is out, it's supposed to be hot this weekend out here in SoCal so I'm hoping the leather soaks up the oil and darkens it. I'll try to provide detailed pics.

@ThreeGeees

Vans website states they are "deluxe" leather using a vegetable tanning process. I've seen pics in this forum where someone darken the leather by using the oil from their hands & rubbing shoes for 10 mins every night. So it is possible to change patina on them, seems to me that it just takes a long time.

@bwood056

Going to apply oil tomorrow around noon when sun is out, it's supposed to be hot this weekend out here in SoCal so I'm hoping the leather soaks up the oil and darkens it. I'll try to provide detailed pics.
Well yea if u oil them then they will change. But real veg tanned leather changes naturally without the need to oil it

The veggie tans do patina but from what I've seen is it's a lot harder then other shoes I didn't cop a pair but I've seen other peoples pairs get a real nice patina

The veggie tans do patina but from what I've seen is it's a lot harder then other shoes I didn't cop a pair but I've seen other peoples pairs get a real nice patina
It's possible but like i said wore mine every day for almost 3 months and no patina. Just a bloody heel. cant wear them anymore

Well yea if u oil them then they will change. But real veg tanned leather changes naturally without the need to oil it

Exactly. You can put oil on any leather and change the color. That is not the same as a vegetable tanned leather patina-ing.

Applied 1 coat of oil today and took pics after 1 hour in the sun. The oil seemed to have been soaked up relatively quickly after using a paint brush on the heel tab.

Before

After

They are still sitting in sun and will probably leave them until 5 or 6 tonight and check the end results tomorrow. My plan is to apply oil everywhere on shoe with the exception of the jazz stripe & tongue.

Back
Top Bottom