The Weeknd Thread ( "The Dawn FM" OUT NOW)

Favorite Weeknd Project?

• House of Balloons

Votes: 39 42.4%
  • Thursday

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • Echoes of Silence

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Kiss Land

Votes: 19 20.7%
  • Beauty Behind The Madness

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • Starboy

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • My Dear Melancholy

Votes: 7 7.6%
  • After Hours

Votes: 7 7.6%

• Total voters
First time I heard kiss land I was hungover in college laying in my bed I thought it was amazing then after a few more spins I was kinda let down

Last edited:
KL has always been criminally slept on as a whole. The dudes who appreciate it more after BBTM are literally the worst. Y'all are the reason he considered KL a failure and decided to switch the style up.

Last edited:
KL>HOB>EOS>GBIT90S>THE SINGLES AND FEATURES>THURSDAY>CHRIS BROWNS FAN OF A FAN 2>YG MY KRAZY LIFE>ME AND MY FRIENDS FREESTYLING WHILE ON 3 XANS EACH SLURRING>BBTM

Last edited:
kissland , and linkin park's hybrid theory are the ONLY albums i was able to listen to front to back , no skipping for years 

KL has always been criminally slept on as a whole. The dudes who appreciate it more after BBTM are literally the worst. Y'all are the reason he considered KL a failure and decided to switch the style up.
loved kissland as soon as i heard professional crew

Nah he considered it a failure it didn't this response at this trash album he just put out now. He wanted to go pop

bruh we are not the reason we all bought the album :lol: I actually bought that album 3 times. Kissland is a fantastic album....and yes after BBTM it makes me appreciate kissland even more then i already do. Because up until kissland he was toping himself with every release. Kissland was for me his big coming out. His sound was just bigger the production was just bigger. I was expecting BBTM to top it....then i heard it and went running back to kissland like omg how could i ever leave you

Nope. Middle America didn't like it which is all that mattered. His fanbase, as big as they might have been, would not have made a difference in the numbers and sales. Even if each of them bought two copies

There's also nothing wrong with appreciating KL more after BBTM. If someone realizes the greatness of KL after the fact, so be it. Everyone should recognize it for the work of art it is

Last edited:
i have a feeling that we will never get that kissland weeknd again.........he was "underground famous" but not famous , if that makes sense .......that middle ground that alot of artists ( wiz im looking at you ) are ALMOST there........they have money , they have some pull and if not are close to dudes who have pull in the industry at this point and want to become that HUGE SUPERSTAR they always envisioned as a kid , put out some incredible music , but its so good that afterwards everything is meh..........

we forget how awesome the hills / often and even acquainted are though ............the rest of that album is trash 

Last edited:
What were the exact moves that elevated him to mainstream status? Was it Earned It? I forget the timeline exactly

All I know is, teaming with the mainstream producers was like an instant result. Crazy how that all works. ICFMF drops and America lost its mind

I always say, I wonder what would happen if BBTM and Earned It happened prior to KL. Like what if KL was his next project? I wonder how Middle America would handle it, if they would buy it as much as BBTM

Last edited:
Nope. Middle America didn't like it which is all that mattered. His fanbase, as big as they might have been, would not have made a difference in the numbers and sales. Even if each of them bought two copies

There's also nothing wrong with appreciating KL more after BBTM. If someone realizes the greatness of KL after the fact, so be it. Everyone should recognize it for the work of art it is

He wasn't making that album for middle America. Or for fame or record sales. I'm not sure how you could listen to it and think that was the goal.

He thought it was a failure because it got mediocre reviews from critics and split his die hard fan base in half.

I think Earned it and the song with Ariana Grande was the beginning of mainstream Abel.

What were the exact moves that elevated him to mainstream status? Was it Earned It? I forget the timeline exactly

All I know is, teaming with the mainstream producers was like an instant result. Crazy how that all works. ICFMF drops and America lost its mind

I always say, I wonder what would happen if BBTM and Earned It happened prior to KL. Like what if KL was his next project? I wonder how Middle America would handle it, if they would buy it as much as BBTM

Love Me Harder was the beginning. Slowly Often started taking off too. Earned It was the big one though.

I'll still never understand how the Hills was way more commercially successful than CFMF :lol:

He wasn't making that album for middle America. Or for fame or record sales. I'm not sure how you could listen to it and think that was the goal.

He thought it was a failure because it got mediocre reviews from critics and split his die hard fan base in half.
Obviously he wasn't making KL for Middle America. He was trying to be himself still and got nothing for his troubles in terms of sales. Do you think he was going to keep on doing that?

So why exactly did he make this pop album? It's a clear cause and effect. He tried doing things his way and wanted to make the money with his true sound. That didn't work. What was the next step to ensure he got paid? Pop album: BBTM

From these quotes, I would say he wants fame and sales

In 2013, Tesfaye released Kiss Land, the much-anticipated follow-up to his mixtape trilogy. He was hoping it would launch him to the next level, but it didn't take off. "It humbled me a bit," he says. "I can be honest about it. Nobody wants to put out music where the reception's not great."

Pitchfork: Why did you decide to chase a more straightforward sound with this album?

AT: For a while, I didn't focus on the commercial success. I really was going at the punk aspect of everything, which worked, but I felt like it got redundant. I owe it to people—to my family, to myself—to make music that makes me feel good and also is a little easier to understand.

Pitchfork: Does it mean anything to you to have songs on the charts?

AT: Yeah, it does, because now I’m grabbing the ear of most of the world. I’ve had this door open for a long time and now I’m inviting people in. It’s going to be fun, and I’m going to use this opportunity to make great music because I know the whole world’s listening. It inspires me. Now that I know people are expecting and anticipating great music, I’m going to make great music. [pauses] With great power comes great responsibility. [laughs]

Last edited:
Except you're forgetting the fact that KL was largely ignored, given mediocre to poor reviews by critics and hardly appreciated by his own fans. That never happened to his projects before. I don't think he was surprised by the lack of sales/money. The lack of push + radio song made that a foregone conclusion. I think he was surprised that people just straight up thought it was bad. This thread was in the minority.

There was a lot going on though. It was his first solo album on a label. It was his first project without Doc or Illangelo - where he totally controlled the sound. It's a little more complicated than money or sales IMO. He was more than good on money before BBTM. Kiss Land Tour and KOTF tour was huge.

Except you're forgetting the fact that KL was largely ignored, given mediocre to poor reviews by critics and hardly appreciated by his own fans. That never happened to his projects before. I don't think he was surprised by the lack of sales/money. The lack of push + radio song made that a foregone conclusion. I think he was surprised that people just straight up thought it was bad. This thread was in the minority.

There was a lot going on though. It was his first solo album on a label. It was his first project without Doc or Illangelo - where he totally controlled the sound. It's a little more complicated than money or sales IMO. He was more than good on money before BBTM. Kiss Land Tour and KOTF tour was huge.
Na I didn't forget anything. So do you buy his explanation that he really wanted to make music that "is easier to understand"? That's the reason he made BBTM?

I believe that's a naive thing to believe and I couldn't tell you if he was "more than good on money before BBTM". Do you have proof of that? "More than good" in your definition may not match his. I believe he had a clear intent with BBTM and that was to:

A. Become the new pop king

B. Make a **** load of money

Last edited:
belong to the world 
pimp.gif

First time I heard kiss land I was hungover in college laying in my bed I thought it was amazing then after a few more spins I was kinda let down
Lol at liking it less the more you listen.

On the contrary the more you listen the better it gets.

Belong to the World is dope. The beat got tiring for me after awhile I'm not gonna lie. But after you read the lyrics or listen to the acoustic 
pimp.gif

Yall need to stop with the KL slander. Slander BBTM all you want. But don't touch KL. And if anyone finna slander Trilogy:

I like BBTM. But to you guys that don't like it at all, do you guys only listen to certain music? Serious question.. Like me I'm open minded. I used to be about that "i only F with rap" but as I got older I learned that there are different sounds out there and I learned that I love the sound of a guitar. Dark Times is one of my fav tracks.

I think some are hyping how "pop" BBTM... He's still grimey to me on thy joint, especially on "Tell your Friends". After reading the comments of the people that heard it first on here I went in expecting N' sync No strings attached. :lol:

But it's definitely not as pop as some make it... It's not old Able but I still see him.

As far as Kissland I liked it from the first time I heard it. Especially the first 4 tracks which are just amazing. Whole album has a good vibe to it IMO. To each his own I guess.

I think some are hyping how "pop" BBTM... He's still grimey to me on thy joint, especially on "Tell your Friends". After reading the comments of the people that heard it first on here I went in expecting N' sync No strings attached. :lol:

But it's definitely not as pop as some make it... It's not old Able but I still see him.

As far as Kissland I liked it from the first time I heard it. Especially the first 4 tracks which are just amazing. Whole album has a good vibe to it IMO. To each his own I guess.

The problem isn't that BBTM is too pop or that's it's not dark enough, the problem is its "needy" which just isn't Abel musically.

Features from Laborinth, Ed Sheridan, Lana Del Rey. That Kanye Production. All that stuff was inorganic and reaked of reaching for something.

Dark Times is a pretty damn good song but it don't even belong to Abel. That's the problem in a nutshell.

Last edited:
Nobody said BBTM was Britney Spears or Backstreet Boys 
laugh.gif

Pop is pop. Does it matter? Dude went down into that world, more power to him. It's still pop no matter how you slice it

Dude was literally the opposite of pop, so for him to go that route was quite a thing to get used to

Last edited:
I mean I definitely understand where OG fans are coming from... But with the talent he has it was only a matter of time before he crossed over.. But I don't feel he's crossed over that far...

You can kind see him trying to find the balance and it can be a difficult thing to do... Not many have accomplished it.. BBTM was a damn good effort and so was Kissland... The days of a straight dark Able are gone but he still has those grimey lyrics just packaged different...

The problem isn't that BBTM is too pop or that's it's not dark enough, the problem is its "needy" which just isn't Abel musically.

Features from Laborinth, Ed Sheridan, Lana Del Rey. That Kanye Production. All that stuff was inorganic and reaked of reaching for something.

Dark Times is a pretty damn good song but it don't even belong to Abel. That's the problem in a nutshell.

What does this even mean?

Any Noise Ep fans, or do we just look over it? I personally like Birthday Suit, Rescue You/Superhero, Love Through Her and Appointment.

Back
Top Bottom