The Weeknd Thread ( "The Dawn FM" OUT NOW)

Favorite Weeknd Project?

• House of Balloons

Votes: 38 42.2%
  • Thursday

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Echoes of Silence

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Kiss Land

Votes: 18 20.0%
  • Beauty Behind The Madness

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Starboy

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • My Dear Melancholy

Votes: 7 7.8%
  • After Hours

Votes: 7 7.8%

• Total voters
XO crew is GOING IN ON Selena’s IG! DEER GAWD!

I’m for sure feeling the Calling my name and the beginning line of Hurt you. It’s strange this is the Abel I wanted back but I’m not on this as at all.
I’m right now like on this “you need to understand you’re not a priority to me AT ALL” with this chick and I’m not even looking for fandoms trying to finish school and move on to the next phase in my life.

Chris Rock line of peace>p***y spoke to me :lol:

But this will be on repeat for sure the next few days!

On first listen, it's lacking musically but lyrically its definitely on point . I need to listen a few more times to develop a final opinion. Hurt You is definitely the one tho. Privilege is a perfect outro too.

Someone low-key called this Echoes of Silence on Steroids earlier and I haven't been able to unclench my fist since :lol:

I agree that this feels more like the natural progression of what he was making on Kissland than it does any 2011 music.

Wasted times I spent with someone else
She wasn't even half of you
Reminiscin' how you felt

Reminiscin' how you felt
And even though you put my life through hell
I can't seem to forget 'bout you, 'bout you
I want you to myself

this my joint :smh:

da young gawd is back

NTXO

friends.gif

Welcome back 2011

excited-seinfeld-12UlfHpF05ielO

First listen i do actually like it way more then i thought. But its def not "back to his old style". The production is too earned it and starboy at times. You can hear the daft punk influence and the lyrical content isn't sleezy enough.

That being said i am pleasantly surprised and still like it.

Pretty good EP i like the direction he's getting back to.
Off a couple of complete listens Hurt You and Call out my name are my favorites.
Beat wise i think it could of been better though.

Last edited:
The second part of "I Was Never There" hit me in my feels.

"Now I know what love is, and I know it ain't you for sure, you'd rather something toxic, so I poison myself again and again until I feel nothing" :smh:

Wasted times I spent with someone else
She wasn't even half of you
Reminiscin' how you felt

Reminiscin' how you felt
And even though you put my life through hell
I can't seem to forget 'bout you, 'bout you
I want you to myself

this my joint :smh:

da young gawd is back

These lines...plus the opener...
We found each other
I helped you out of a broken place
You gave me comfort
But falling for you was my mistake

brought back some rough feelings/moments in my life I wasn't ready bruh
giphy.webp

First listen i do actually like it way more then i thought. But its def not "back to his old style". The production is too earned it and starboy at times. You can hear the daft punk influence and the lyrical content isn't sleezy enough.

That being said i am pleasantly surprised and still like it.
I agree with you in the sense that the lyrical content isn't "his old style" in terms of filth, however his sound and his flow are back to that origin imo. The production imo is fire and is a blend between the kiss land era and pop era (to me)

At times bbtm and star boy, he sounded like he was mailing it in sonically, I don't get that sense with this

Judging by that, is why I said this grown up mixtape weeknd

We've all touched on this before but the lyrics are probably never going back to the mixtape days. It makes sense though because that was his youth, he's much older now and in a completely different space with what he's experienced

This is probably the best version of him we can hope for going forward. crooning about heartbreak over beats by some exceptional producers, the lyrics on this aren't kiss land but imo not too far gone, the difference being kiss land seemed more like a play and melancholy reads like a journal

My first and only listen gave me the impression that this is a follow up to Kissland morseo than a continuation of what we got in 2011. It’s like the progression of someone who was skeptical about love/falling for someone, but he gave it a try a couple of times only for things to not work out. Now this is the tormented recollection of events while embracing the return to the single life.

My first and only listen gave me the impression that this is a follow up to Kissland morseo than a continuation of what we got in 2011. It’s like the progression of someone who was skeptical about love/falling for someone, but he gave it a try a couple of times only for things to not work out. Now this is the tormented recollection of events while embracing the return to the single life.
Yes yes this is how I feel, when I say grown up mixtape weeknd it can equate to the kiss land vibe, this ep legit sounds like it is a follow up to kiss land

Bbtm and starboy were his departures into making money and being in actual relationships so I get it

Back
Top Bottom