Things to do / see in Japan?

Going to Japan for ~2 weeks in a few months for work
pimp.gif
. Will be in Tokyo for about a week and other parts of Japan for the remainder. 
Any experiences/stories? 
Interested in hearing what you guys think are must see things to do, shopping, eating etc. Thanks

Check out the panty vending machines. oh, and don't forget the ramen and hit up them pachinko arcades.

In Tokyo now, but still finding my way around and ironically it seems that the number of things I want to see/do have gone down a lot compared to when I'd be planning to go on trips.

Where else in Japan are you going to be going? Where in Tokyo are you going to be staying?

With the yen to dollar ratio being so bad now, unless you see something you can't easily get at home, don't buy it!

Maybe go eat some pufferfish, whale or horse since you probably can't eat that in most other countries? Depends though on how you feel about raw meat, seafood or unfamiliar food in general.

If you plan on getting presents for people, the easiest way is to go hit up a convenience store and grab some of the "weird flavored" candy. Japanese Kit Kat!

Originally Posted by fugualarmclock

In Tokyo now, but still finding my way around and ironically it seems that the number of things I want to see/do have gone down a lot compared to when I'd be planning to go on trips.

Where else in Japan are you going to be going? Where in Tokyo are you going to be staying?

With the yen to dollar ratio being so bad now, unless you see something you can't easily get at home, don't buy it!

Maybe go eat some pufferfish, whale or horse since you probably can't eat that in most other countries? Depends though on how you feel about raw meat, seafood or unfamiliar food in general.

If you plan on getting presents for people, the easiest way is to go hit up a convenience store and grab some of the "weird flavored" candy. Japanese Kit Kat!
Are you living or just vacationing in Tokyo?
Yeah I'm not too worried about shopping....my company is taking care of hotels (Park Hyatt, the one from Lost in Translation) 
pimp.gif
 and I'll be staying with family/friends on other nights. I'll have enough budgeted for some shopping and eating out, etc.

The only touristy thing I'm thinking of doing is Disney Sea and maybe an onsen. 

Any must see eats? Not too interested in horse / whale / etc

i just got back from there... didnt have enough time.. But stayed mainly in tokyo.  Best damn subway in the world. WOMEN Are gorgeous out here, specially in shinjuku where everyone comes out at night. 
Night life= roppongi all the way. Try and go to KOKORO's cafes to eat their pastries. 

Originally Posted by Pogiboy67

i just got back from there... ROPPONGI is where its at... be sure to check out kokoros cafe.. the pastries in there are beyond this world
Nice...I'll be in Roppongi for a couple of days. Any other suggestions?

Go on the bumpy subway. From my internet research, you can grope the chicks and then have intercourse. The other passengers don't even look!

Originally Posted by kvsm23vs24

Where are the best ladies out there

I used to live in Okinawa Japan for 2 years....I visited Tokyo often and hit up Roppongi and go to Gas Panic 99 <---- 9pm to 9am and there are some other spots out in Roppongi too just don't remember the names of them.  Also I think twice a month in Yokohama they have a place called Yokohama Bay Hall it gets pretty packed and was always a great time.  Are you in the military? If so stay at the New Sanno Hotel or Hardy Barracks....very cheap and both are in great locations.  The subway system is pretty easy to navigate in my books I knew minimal japanese and didn't get lost.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
   Oh yeah and its a must to hit up Shibuya <---another night life spot with plenty of shopping and Shinjuku<----Shopping spots.
Let me know if you have any questions OP.

Originally Posted by georgehimself

Go on the bumpy subway. From my internet research, you can grope the chicks and then have intercourse. The other passengers don't even look!

roll.gif
roll.gif

laugh.gif

this works on the buses as well 

Originally Posted by aztec06jr

Yeah I'm not too worried about shopping....my company is taking care of hotels (Park Hyatt, the one from Lost in Translation) 
pimp.gif
 and I'll be staying with family/friends on other nights. I'll have enough budgeted for some shopping and eating out, etc.

Got here in September & gonna be here for 2 years doing the school thing.  Seems the Park Hyatt is in Shinjuku....that place still overwhelms me but looking at the travelwiki page, Lockup sounds pretty interesting.  If nothing else, you can go to Kabuki-cho and laugh or take pictures of the hosts walking around.

As far as onsens, I've only gone to ones out in Nagano and Beppu which are pretty far from Tokyo.  Maybe you could get out to Hakone since it's the closest?  Bonus points if you can go to one that's outside when it's snowing!

The dopest onsen is in Yokohama on the top of the building next to the Pan Pacific Hotel in Sakuragicho. It's directly across from the amusement park and Ferris wheel and has an incredible view at night.

Eat monja-yaki in Tsukishima.

Eat sushi in Tsukiji at any hour.

Drink beer or Chuhai in the middle of the day while you chill outside of 109 in Shibuya.

Go out to eat/drink at big chain izakayas... chat up the tables next to you. Enjoy the hilarity.

Take the first shinkansen in the morning to Nagano, ski/board all day and take the last one back to Tokyo.... it's the closest thing to the Ski/Surf day you can do in LA but the city/country contrast will trip you out.

Make sure you rent a cellphone or a sim card for your phone... otherwise zero chance to fraternize w/locals.

Try everything you can afford/stomach at every convenience store.

^Yep, Monja in Tsukishima is a must do, but monja's kind of trippy at first since it's so runny.

More like, drink beer or chu-hai anywhere you go! Last summer, the first night in Kyoto we just walked from convenience store to convenience store getting drinks and exploring the neighborhood around the hotel. Also, a lot of places (especially the chain izakaya) have "all you can drink" options.

I'd say go to Harajuku and see the cosplayers but the last few times I went, there weren't any. Bunch of rockabilly guys are always dancing around in the park on Sundays though.

Go visit the Fukushima power plants if you wanna grow another limb or two.

Otherwise, don't go.  A lot of very weird things in Japan. 

Originally Posted by JFMartiMcDandruff

laugh.gif

this works on the buses as well 
roll.gif

JDM
JAV
????
Godzilla

I think korea has the subway system on lock, as far as ease of use. I hate going through shinjuku subway.

im chillen in shinjuku/shibuya like every weekend. if any NTers wanna do some cheap drinking hit me up! nomihoudai for like under 1500 yen is the best before a club.

Originally Posted by sn00pee

I think korea has the subway system on lock, as far as ease of use. I hate going through shinjuku subway.

im chillen in shinjuku/shibuya like every weekend. if any NTers wanna do some cheap drinking hit me up! nomihoudai for like under 1500 yen is the best before a club.
laugh.gif
Man you didn't tell me this, I was in Tokyo last August.

Originally Posted by aztec06jr

pimp.gif

Got here in September & gonna be here for 2 years doing the school thing.  Seems the Park Hyatt is in Shinjuku....that place still overwhelms me but looking at the travelwiki page, Lockup sounds pretty interesting.  If nothing else, you can go to Kabuki-cho and laugh or take pictures of the hosts walking around.

As far as onsens, I've only gone to ones out in Nagano and Beppu which are pretty far from Tokyo.  Maybe you could get out to Hakone since it's the closest?  Bonus points if you can go to one that's outside when it's snowing!

Lockout sounds 
eek.gif

Back
Top Bottom