thinking about trading in my 2005 350z for 2000^ toyota prius

I cant deal with the gas prices and 2 seater space

thoughts on other fuel efficient cars?

experience with prius?

i drive a Z too and i defintely agree with you about the gas part, i feel like im hitting the Hess every other damn day
30t6p3b.gif

I don't blame you, smart move imo.
I drive a 04 tsx and its eats gas like nothing and doesnt help when you have to use Premium(91). Thinking about doing the same.

According to Kelly blue book I can get 16k. The prius is about 21000 in the long run gas will pay the difference. The audio a3 only gets 21 miles city

How much space do you need... you have a family?.  Gas all varies depending on how you drive..but I don't blame you.  I drive a 07WRX and I honestly can't complain.  Gas is great on it even at 91...I got a limited sedan so space is not an issue and whenever I need the power I got it.   Look into other things before the prius. 

-UNDFT-

No family but trying to cut costs at every aspect. I don't really know much about cars but I want something fuel efficient and something that will last

Originally Posted by Rightguard

According to Kelly blue book I can get 16k. The prius is about 21000 in the long run gas will pay the difference. The audio a3 only gets 21 miles city
I've seen many Prius' advertised on Craigslist for $13-15K and those were mid-decade models.

No family but trying to cut costs at every aspect. I don't really know much about cars but I want something fuel efficient and something that will last
I had a corolla S back in the day and it was GREAT on gas, reliable and took that beast to tahoe plenty of times.  I sold it at 103k miles and it held value pretty good.  Something 4 cyl would best fit you.  

FIY, WRX's are 2.5L 4cyl
wink.gif

-UNDFT-

I'll ignore the fact you don't know anything about cars...but bought a 350Z...looks kewl right! Prob an auto too? Lawl.

Anyway, jerk time over. Don't get a prius. Hybrid technology is worthless I think. If you're really worried about gas mileage, but want a cool car, you have a few options:

Stop caring about gas mileage

Stop driving like a douche and/or buy a stick

My buddies C5 Corvette gets an upwards of 20 miles to the gallon because of that tall %@$ 6th gear. Or look into diesel.

05 Prius owner here, nothing but positives
happy.gif

Drives really smooth for a "compact" car, great space, quiet, low low maintenance and super efficient

it just really makes sense..when its not moving the engine shuts off, when you coast - it shuts off

Get to a desired speed, foot off pedal - push slightly for electric engine to keep you moving = profit
pimp.gif

You'll notice a difference ASAP when you start passing gas stations, im currently getting 55 mpg but 60+ is always possible

Originally Posted by crcballer55

I've seen many Prius' advertised on Craigslist for $13-15K and those were mid-decade models.
That can become costly as this might be the time it needs a battery replacement and that usually cost a lot from what I recall. 
OP, have you considered the Prius C? It's smaller but gets you more city mileage and will start at $19k iirc and should be out in 2 months. 

If you want a better looking Hybrid but still a bit sporty, try the Honda CRZ. Starts at $19,500 I believe. You'll get less mpg though.

My friend thoroughly enjoy his Insight, again, doesn't get the same MPG as the Prius but it starts at $18k but also ugly.

so you are essentially paying like $6500 to trade to a Prius? this idea is really; really dumb.

in the end you won't even break even for years

Prius>350z

The new models are becoming more and more easy on the eyes and aren't too bad...plus since you said your not to much intro cars.
I'm guessing horsepower and performance aren't something you care little to at all about so is go with the Prius. Rides smooth comfortable and space is there....plus you'll love the feeling of not seeing a gas station every week.

FYI I'm a stang driver who's at the gas station every 5 days
frown.gif

Originally Posted by RFX45

Originally Posted by crcballer55

That can become costly as this might be the time it needs a battery replacement and that usually cost a lot from what I recall. 
OP, have you considered the Prius C? It's smaller but gets you more city mileage and will start at $19k iirc and should be out in 2 months. 

If you want a better looking Hybrid but still a bit sporty, try the Honda CRZ. Starts at $19,500 I believe. You'll get less mpg though.

My friend thoroughly enjoy his Insight, again, doesn't get the same MPG as the Prius but it starts at $18k but also ugly.
if going used just make sure it has low mileage to be safe & batt replacements are covered for 8years/100,000 miles (if in ca its 10years/150,000) but are rare

RFX lists great alternatives

There is a long story behind how I got the 350z. Dad bought it and left it in the garage. The car had about 15k miles and my parents wanted to trade it in. I told them instead of losing 30k by trading it in I would pay insurance and the rest of the car off.

Originally Posted by StillIn729

so you are essentially paying like $6500 to trade to a Prius? this idea is really; really dumb.

There are some brand new prius' for 21k. In gas I would save 1 k a year

Mid size sedans like an accord or camry out of the question? they get pretty good gas mileage and definitely have a lot of space.

so in 6.5 years this starts to pay off?  I am really confused right now

retiring my 4runner and buying a prius has been awesome. acceleration isn't great but it can go 90mph easy and that's good enough for me. i get about 43mpg. fill up my gas tank once every 2 weeks and run it until empty.

so in 6.5 years this starts to pay off?  I am really confused right now
I'm not really sure what you're asking or what answer you want. You don't buy a car as an investment and he shouldn't expect to break even unless he buys one the same value as his car. As OP said, he wants more space and better mpg. Prius seems like a good choice for what he is looking for. If he wants a newer car, he just have to pay more. Really as simple as that.

Back
Top Bottom