thinking of applying to Niketown...

Im looking into applying to Niketown or just Nike period. There's been talks about a Niketown in Houston, but I would really like to have to opportunityto begin ahead of time so once the time comes ill be ready to submit an application. What I want to know is what should be included in my resume to start offand any other extra information that would be useful.

Im a recent graduate with a Public Relations/Advertising degree, so any folks with the same major or similiar can help me out as well. I don't want tomake this post too long, hopefully you all know the point that im trying to get at, so help a fellow NTer out.

Thanks

I would like to know what its like to work for NIKE. Like at the headquarters too. NOT TOTHREAD JACK.

Originally Posted by Putting In Work

Do you want like a career out of this or just like a discount or something?
I want to make a career out of this. Discount is a good thing, but its not a big deal to me. I want more out of the business. I want to learn allthat I need to learn. I love sports, shoes and things in that nature. I want to do something I enjoy and like and this is something that I like and enjoy andwilling to do.

Your either going to have to be a fake "thug", sassy sailor, or have a pair of **** if you plan on getting a job at any shoe store.

If you want this as a career, make sure you work at the actual company, not Niketown. Retail as a career = NOT a good idea...

I mean I can always work my way up the latter. I don't plan to make retail as my career, but I just want to get my foot in the door and see what happens.

start at Niketown and try and work your way up to manager.

Seriously, the old Nike rep. who used to come to the store I manage said he started at Niketown as a salesperson, made his way to asst. manager, then managerof the store. After doing that (took about 3-5 years total) he was moved to Dallas, doing something at the Nike HQ there, I don't quite remember what, andthen he was made a sales rep., which is the guy who goes to spots 6 month in adv. with samples and catalogs.

Mind you, he also has a degree in marketing, but he said he worked himself from a salesperson to Beaverton in 9 years, because 4 months ago, we got a new rep.because he had been promoted and was now working at HQ in Oregon.

So it's possible, but it's gonna be a grind. Def. have a 2nd job until you get up to A.M. or Manager, where you'll be making at least somewhatenough to live on

^^^thanks man, ill definitely look into that. So as far as resumes goes, what should one include in a resume that will best suit in this type of job?

good advice from d9 but just remember everybody's gonna try to move up so stand out somehow.

Don't start yourself off in Nike Retail, not that Nike retail is horrible or anything, its just not going to get you were you're wanting to go in anysort of real time frame. moving from retail to corporate is quite a difficult move. I knew a good amount of people who were good with the managers, and goodworkers and the most anyone got was a promotion within retail. Now its not entirely impossible, but its not gonna be easy by any means. Like the guy up abovesaid, it took the rep he knew 9 years to get from sales to corporate. You're better off going one of two ways:
1. Apply for corporate jobs, www.nikebiz.com, and just search out jobs your qualified for, there is an office in Houston as well I think, so you can checkthere.
2. Go work somewhere else and build your resume, and constantly apply for nike jobs until someone takes notice of you, or you meet more of the qualificationsthey're looking for.

Lootpac, you're right..

I think it'll be much better to just apply to the corporate jobs on that website you provided. Right now I'm working and buildint up my resume, so illdefinitely take the chance and apply to whatever position that best suit me.

A lot of good advices guys. Keep 'em coming...

TFlight -

Only thing is, without some sort of degree/retail experience/work experience, the nikebiz jobs will for the most part be out of your league so to speak.

Alot of those jobs require 3+ years experience in whatever field you're applying.

But if you have experience/degree, go for it, you'll definitely have a shot.

How old are you btw, are you in college?

because, no offense, if you're 16-18, fresh outta high school, you're reaching, and should def. considering college or going the retail route.

^^he has a degree in public relations so im pretty sure hes not straight outta high school- t flight i think youve got a good shot at making a name foryourself at nike.inc- good luck in all you endeavors bro

I'm 24 years old by the way. Just graduated from school this past December. Ill take all of yalls advices and take them in consideration into whatever areaI decide to get in. Ill look around, research, do whatever I can to gather all the info that I need to make this happen. Again, thank you guys.

good luck bro
wink.gif

Back
Top Bottom