This Frank Ocean still goes hard.....*Official Thread*

Mar 1 2012 12:00 PM EST http://mtv.mtvnimages.com.../images/u/icon-eye.gif); background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: initial; margin-left: 20px; margin-top: 7px; background-position: 0px 50%; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat; ">863
[h1]The Eagles Considering Legal Action Against Frank Ocean[/h1][h2]'Ocean did not merely 'sample' a portion of 'Hotel California'; he took thewhole master track,' Don Henley's spokesperson tells MTV News.[/h2]
By Rob Markman

In their travels, Odd Future have rubbed more than a few people the wrong way, and now they seem to have ruffled the feathers of iconic rockers the Eagles. OF singer/songwriter took to his Tumblr to vent that founding Eagles member Don Henley has taken exception to Ocean's "American Wedding," a song that samples the band's 1977 hit "Hotel California."

"Don Henley's label Rhino is apparently intimidated by my rendition of Hotel California," Ocean wrote. "He (they) threatened to sue if I perform it again."

Henley's spokesperson Larry Solters reached out to MTV News to clarify the matter. "Frank Ocean did not merely 'sample' a portion of the Eagles' 'Hotel California'; he took the whole master track, plus the song's existing melody, and replaced the lyrics with his own," he said in a written statement. "This is not creative, let alone 'intimidating.' It's illegal."

Ocean's "American Wedding" is a standout from his free 2011 albumNostalgia, Ultra. Over the original Eagles track, Frank sings of a whirlwind romance that ends in heartbreak, employing some of the same harmonies that exist on the original record. During his live concerts, Ocean sings the song with graphics from the popular "Guitar Hero" video game playing in the background. It is one of the highlights of his live show, but according to the 24-year-old, he will face legal action if he continues to perform the song.

Solters says that isn't the case — yet. "For the record, Don Henley has not threatened or instituted any legal action against Frank Ocean, although the Eagles are now considering whether they should," he wrote.

On his Tumblr, Ocean wondered what all the fuss was about. "Sh--'s weird. Ain't this guy rich as f---? Why sue the new guy," he wrote. "I didn't make a dime off that song. I released it for free. If anything I'm paying homage."

Mar 1 2012 12:00 PM EST http://mtv.mtvnimages.com.../images/u/icon-eye.gif); background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: initial; margin-left: 20px; margin-top: 7px; background-position: 0px 50%; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat; ">863
[h1]The Eagles Considering Legal Action Against Frank Ocean[/h1][h2]'Ocean did not merely 'sample' a portion of 'Hotel California'; he took thewhole master track,' Don Henley's spokesperson tells MTV News.[/h2]
By Rob Markman

In their travels, Odd Future have rubbed more than a few people the wrong way, and now they seem to have ruffled the feathers of iconic rockers the Eagles. OF singer/songwriter took to his Tumblr to vent that founding Eagles member Don Henley has taken exception to Ocean's "American Wedding," a song that samples the band's 1977 hit "Hotel California."

"Don Henley's label Rhino is apparently intimidated by my rendition of Hotel California," Ocean wrote. "He (they) threatened to sue if I perform it again."

Henley's spokesperson Larry Solters reached out to MTV News to clarify the matter. "Frank Ocean did not merely 'sample' a portion of the Eagles' 'Hotel California'; he took the whole master track, plus the song's existing melody, and replaced the lyrics with his own," he said in a written statement. "This is not creative, let alone 'intimidating.' It's illegal."

Ocean's "American Wedding" is a standout from his free 2011 albumNostalgia, Ultra. Over the original Eagles track, Frank sings of a whirlwind romance that ends in heartbreak, employing some of the same harmonies that exist on the original record. During his live concerts, Ocean sings the song with graphics from the popular "Guitar Hero" video game playing in the background. It is one of the highlights of his live show, but according to the 24-year-old, he will face legal action if he continues to perform the song.

Solters says that isn't the case — yet. "For the record, Don Henley has not threatened or instituted any legal action against Frank Ocean, although the Eagles are now considering whether they should," he wrote.

On his Tumblr, Ocean wondered what all the fuss was about. "Sh--'s weird. Ain't this guy rich as f---? Why sue the new guy," he wrote. "I didn't make a dime off that song. I released it for free. If anything I'm paying homage."

Originally Posted by DipsetGeneral

By Rob Markman

I know this was off his mixtape... ppl do this all the time on mixtapes 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by DipsetGeneral

By Rob Markman

I know this was off his mixtape... ppl do this all the time on mixtapes 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

i don't really buy the "it was a free mixtape" argument...Just because no money was DIRECTLY made off the mixtape doesn't mean that it didn't help build his buzz/get shows...

that being said The Eagles need to get the !%#* outta here if they do pursue a suit...if American Wedding was his biggest song i guess i could see it having weight...

i don't really buy the "it was a free mixtape" argument...Just because no money was DIRECTLY made off the mixtape doesn't mean that it didn't help build his buzz/get shows...

that being said The Eagles need to get the !%#* outta here if they do pursue a suit...if American Wedding was his biggest song i guess i could see it having weight...

what I dont get is

sometimes rappers play the tracks of rappers they're dissing as a joke at their concerts.
could they get sued for "performing" them?

what I dont get is

sometimes rappers play the tracks of rappers they're dissing as a joke at their concerts.
could they get sued for "performing" them?

Originally Posted by PJ and Bompton

Naw I agree with the Eagles in this case.  I heard the song and its literally a copy with changed lyrics.  Pretty uncreative and uninspiring and I havent listened to it since because it's just way too blatant.

Naw I agree with the Eagles in this case.  I heard the song and its literally a copy with changed lyrics.  Pretty uncreative and uninspiring and I havent listened to it since because it's just way too blatant.

Originally Posted by Heshua

Naw I agree with the Eagles in this case.  I heard the song and its literally a copy with changed lyrics.  Pretty uncreative and uninspiring and I havent listened to it since because it's just way to blatent.
basically in fact at work in the lobby when the song came on i always catch myself singing american wedding 
and it fits perfect just like they said dude took the whole instrumental and put his lyrics to it 

Naw I agree with the Eagles in this case.  I heard the song and its literally a copy with changed lyrics.  Pretty uncreative and uninspiring and I havent listened to it since because it's just way to blatent.
basically in fact at work in the lobby when the song came on i always catch myself singing american wedding 
and it fits perfect just like they said dude took the whole instrumental and put his lyrics to it 

[h1]
[h1]'Ocean did not merely 'sample' a portion of 'Hotel California'; he took thewhole master track,' Don Henley's spokesperson tells MTV News.[/h1]
[/h1][h2][/h2]He's right... that was the first thing I thought of when I heard it. "This isn't a sample, it's the whole, original instrumental." He's a fool for thinking that would fly.

[h1]
[h1]'Ocean did not merely 'sample' a portion of 'Hotel California'; he took thewhole master track,' Don Henley's spokesperson tells MTV News.[/h1]
[/h1][h2][/h2]He's right... that was the first thing I thought of when I heard it. "This isn't a sample, it's the whole, original instrumental." He's a fool for thinking that would fly.

i'm just saying, this song isn't his claim to fame...for the record, i haven't played the song since i first heard it. hate the @*@@#%$ original, and the "cover" is no different...

i'm just saying, this song isn't his claim to fame...for the record, i haven't played the song since i first heard it. hate the @*@@#%$ original, and the "cover" is no different...

Originally Posted by Cheese Wagstaff

[h1]
[/h1]
[h2][/h2]He's right... that was the first thing I thought of when I heard it. "This isn't a sample, it's the whole, original instrumental." He's a fool for thinking that would fly.
He did the same thing for "Nature Feels" and "Strawberry Swing." He didn't sample crap, just straight-up took MGMT and Coldplay's instrumentals. Those bands (MGMT & Coldplay) usually don't care when people "sample" their material, but people need to be careful when they touch older music. Some of those bands/artists don't play that $@@%.

I knew this could potentially happen, especially if Def Jam tried pulling a fast one and released the retail version of "Nostalgia/Ultra." 

Originally Posted by Cheese Wagstaff

[h1]
[/h1]
[h2][/h2]He's right... that was the first thing I thought of when I heard it. "This isn't a sample, it's the whole, original instrumental." He's a fool for thinking that would fly.
He did the same thing for "Nature Feels" and "Strawberry Swing." He didn't sample crap, just straight-up took MGMT and Coldplay's instrumentals. Those bands (MGMT & Coldplay) usually don't care when people "sample" their material, but people need to be careful when they touch older music. Some of those bands/artists don't play that $@@%.

I knew this could potentially happen, especially if Def Jam tried pulling a fast one and released the retail version of "Nostalgia/Ultra." 

The retail was supposed to be called "Nostalgia, Lite." Figured they'd be taking out the tracks with copyrighted material and re-packaging it for retail with a few bonus tracks.

Back
Top Bottom