Tips for High School Football?

I'm in 8th grade right now and next I plan to try out for my high school's football team. I'm 6'0, 205lbs. I can catch and throw pretty good,strength and endurance I can improve on during the summer. Any pointers on how to impress the coaches? Summer conditioning starts in august so I plan to showup for them just so to be recognized. I would like to play linebacker or maybe running back but I don't know, most likely as a freshman I'll play forthe JV team.

freshman 6' 205 damn I wish I had those measurables at 14 yrs old.

get quick.
listen and learn and play instinctively.
mostly, go all out, be that guy no one wants to line up against. even if they call u "hero" and damn why u goin all out. Do it. it will make u betterand people will eventually follow.

How good is the high school team that you're going to?

well if your 6'0'' 205 and could catch and throw good, i'm sure your coaches are all gonna have their eyes on you. one thing you want to do isknow what you want to play. you dont' want to be one of those guys whose a backup for every position just because you don't know what you want toplay. I see that happen alot.

one more thing is that just work hard and coaches will notice you and like you much more. when i came in my freshmen year, i was 5'1'', 160 andcould catch really good but i was a little on the slow side. so i ended up just being a line men. but everyone i went up against was about you height and ijust worked real hard and i was a practice star in the summer and when the pads came one, i impressed the coaches alot and i got to start over all the biggerdudes and i never looked back. so just work hard, don't be late, and coaches will notice you.

i was back-to-back linemen of the year by the end of my senior year and i'm only 5'2'' 195... so if i could do it, you should have a problem!good luck

mostly, go all out, be that guy no one wants to line up against. even if they call u "hero" and damn why u goin all out. Do it. it will make u better and people will eventually follow.
Co-sign that!
pimp.gif
loved being that guy!! i could care lesswhat anyone said!

haha well i'm 18 right now but yea i doubt i'll grow anymore... i've got 3 bros... 2 tall (kinda) (5'8'') (5'10''), oneshort(5'4'')and he's 30.

my dads tall, moms isnt
laugh.gif

but i make the best out of it. i'm a pretty good athlete and play both football and basketball pretty well so its all good.

eek.gif
6'0" 205 in 8th Grade...

buy yourself a ladder and some cones....do work OUTSIDE of the practice field (get on the track)....also, start incorporating plyometrics into your workout...

good luck

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

get quick.
mostly, go all out, be that guy no one wants to line up against. even if they call u "hero" and damn why u goin all out. Do it. it will make u better and people will eventually follow.

scout team all americans FTL

Originally Posted by andysleon

well if your 6'0'' 205 and could catch and throw good, i'm sure your coaches are all gonna have their eyes on you. one thing you want to do is know what you want to play. you dont' want to be one of those guys whose a backup for every position just because you don't know what you want to play. I see that happen alot.

one more thing is that just work hard and coaches will notice you and like you much more. when i came in my freshmen year, i was 5'1'', 160 and could catch really good but i was a little on the slow side. so i ended up just being a line men. but everyone i went up against was about you height and i just worked real hard and i was a practice star in the summer and when the pads came one, i impressed the coaches alot and i got to start over all the bigger dudes and i never looked back. so just work hard, don't be late, and coaches will notice you.

i was back-to-back linemen of the year by the end of my senior year and i'm only 5'2'' 195... so if i could do it, you should have a problem! good luck

Co-sign that!
pimp.gif
loved being that guy!! i could care less what anyone said!

5'2 195
eek.gif
damn, didn't even think that was possible. u must've been like a bowling ball. And OP how would u describe ur physique. Are youathletic or un athletic, because if you're athletic than you could play just about anything u want, if not than you should be a lineman. 6' 205 is verygood for a high school freshman playing line.

Find a diet, stick with it.

Work on your cardio for those (10yard bursts)

and hit the track, as aforementioned.

oh yeah ---> STRETCH consistently

You should start doing conditioning right now, so you're ahead of the pack. Remember, the harder you work, the shorter your learning curve is.

Start conditioning now

Lift weights but dont over due it, your young and your coaches will tailor a lifting program for you that will be better than you randomly trying to lift

Be a man out their, no crying, no excuses and no giving up

Be confident but not cocky, your gonna be one of the bigger dudes but dont let it get to your head cause if you line up with the Varsity your gonna get thehell beat out of you

Talk to your coaches and ask question but theirs a fine line between being ready and willing to learn and jocking your coaches constatntly.....you dont want tocome off as needy or annoying

Most of all just bust your butt out their and you'll be fine

Originally Posted by eight2one

damn, i couldnt imagine being an adult and being under 6 foot.

a3436ab9394afb1addcb0db2e440fc334e3a2c6b.jpg

5' 9" and i could careless
laugh.gif

my lil brother is 5' 8" and he's going to be in the 8th grade this fall
smh.gif
....lucky bastard

That is how I did it. If you want to impress the coach, especially on JV, knock someone out.

My first day of JV, years ago, I got put in an Oklahoma drill with the starting RB, who the coach knew from middle school. I knocked his block off and wasinstalled as starting LB right after that practice.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by swizzc

get quick.

scout team all americans FTL
they would say that or practice hero...
grin.gif

Just go hard, have fun, and good luck

laugh.gif

OMY GOD.
U played Center?

U know who calls em scout team all americans? the Lazy dudes who get they +#% whupped every snap every practice & they be the main ones lettin the teamdown on crucial plays
... game film FTW!

U know who calls em scout team all americans? the Lazy dudes who get they +#% whupped every snap every practice & they be the main ones lettin the team down on crucial plays
... game film FTW!
QFT!
that's what our center would say during practice....
eyes.gif

then the biggest game of the year dude was getting manhandle...
smh.gif

laugh.gif

OMY GOD.
U played Center?
yup haha called all the run audibles and stuff like that. i was the player coaches could always count on. they never worried bout me.

U know who calls em scout team all americans? the Lazy dudes who get they +#% whupped every snap every practice & they be the main ones lettin the team down on crucial plays
... game film FTW!
QFT!!! i always hated the lazy dudes talkin mad trash and then coach starts telling them stuff cuz they mess up on all the plays since they thinkthey are too good to take practice seriously... OP take note of that... don't be the one calling people "scout team all americans"... cuz it willcome back to haunt you

Back
Top Bottom