Tips on buying a used car?

Hey y’all I’m in the market for getting a used car. However, what are some tips when it comes to looking for a used vehicle besides the Carfax, damage, etc.... What do you determine as high mileage? What are some procedures you take after buying a used car to be worry free of anything swept under the carpet?

Last edited:
i just bought one last weekend... make sure to get a certified pre owned not just a regular used one... this is if you have the extra money but its worth the peace of mind... because you get a car thats been tested and has extra warranty on it... if you get a used one its cheaper but its a bigger risk if it breaks down...i prefer the certified because the body of the car just looks better compared to used... try to get something with low mileage and nothing older than 4 years... the joint i copped was a 2017

If you find one you like, get a pre purchase inspection by a quality shop. Shouldn’t run you more than $150 but is worth it.

Have it inspected by a mechanic who knows their ish, or take it to a dealership to get it done

Hey y’all I’m in the market for getting a used car. However, what are some tips when it comes to looking for a used vehicle besides the Carfax, damage, etc.... What do you determine as high mileage? What are some procedures you take after buying a used car to be worry free of anything swept under the carpet?

pay a mechanic to do a pre purchase inspection...check da VIN to see it has a clean title....check da going rate for da car in comparable condition/mileage.

and whatever you do, don't buy a high mileage german car..... maintenance will be pricey.

What kind of car are you looking to buy?

i just bought one last weekend... make sure to get a certified pre owned not just a regular used one... this is if you have the extra money but its worth the peace of mind... because you get a car thats been tested and has extra warranty on it... if you get a used one its cheaper but its a bigger risk if it breaks down...i prefer the certified because the body of the car just looks better compared to used... try to get something with low mileage and nothing older than 4 years... the joint i copped was a 2017
That’s because they touch up the body/paintwork. When a dealer sells a certified pre-owned it goes through a lengthy inspection and they recondition certain parts, hence it costing more.

Hey y’all I’m in the market for getting a used car. However, what are some tips when it comes to looking for a used vehicle besides the Carfax, such as mileage, damage, etc.... What are some procedures you take after buying a used car to be worry free of anything swept under the carpet?
Windows a little down so you can hear any kinds of noises the car would make you couldnt hear with the radio or window up. Take your time to look around/under the car. Make sure frame and suspension peices look good and all body panels are flush. DO YOUR RESEARCH ON THE CAR YOU WANT ESPECIALLY IF ITS OUT OF WARRANTY. NOTHING SHOULD BE SQUEELING CLUNKING KNOCKING OR TICKING UNLESS ITS A DIESEL.

Inspect the car first, Under the hood check to see the fluid levels. Check under the car for any leaks. Ask questions, ask for maintenance receipts. How often did they oil changes, alignments, tire rotations, who many owners? Mileage depends on the vehicle. A Jeep w/ 150k isn’t the same as a kia w/ 150k.

Make sure you test drive it on the highway, on the streets, etc. I personally didn’t get a pre-mechanic b/c I’m impatient, but I’d highly recommend one.

Most importantly pick at most 3 specific cars that you want and only look for those. The more you like your car will make you want it more, leading u to care for it, making it function better and lasting longer.

If you're not comfortable with the price don't be afraid to walk away
Never pay the asking price it's listed for
You can always haggle the price down
If you agree to a price and they bring you the paperwork with the final price with taxes and everything haggle some more

On the test drive do a neutral drop
If the transmission still shifts smooth you got a winner :lol:

Back
Top Bottom