tips on dunking

thadocta

Banned
So I'm about 5'11 or 6.
About 165 lbs
I can't touch rim I'm like 5 inches away

What exercises should I do to get stronger and jump higher?

Someone told me lunge uphill are very helpful

Any other things you guys would recommend

Plyometrics and strength program. Lookup the pdf file for the vertical jump bible and stay committed to the workout. And you'll definitely see results. A few years ago in high school I had jump soles and it got me doing a windmill one time but I personally feel that there brutal on your knees. And over the last few years I lost some of my vertical by not really doing any leg workouts and this past summer I did a plyometric routine from the vjb and could do it again with ease and the last month I've focused on deep squats and can now also consistantly dunk off two feet. I'm 6'0 179

In order to dunk the ball cleanly in the hoop, your hand have to be at least 4 inches above the rim.

If you said you're still 5 inches away from touching the rim then you still have a long way to go.

You need to start by working on your legs and core strength.

My ways to improve vertical without all the weight lifting are:

Bike ride every day for at least 1 hour a day to improve your legs strength

Run or jog 15-20 minutes.

Toe raise for 20 minutes everyday until your calves get sore

Jump, jump and jump. The more you try to jump, the more your body and memory muscle will get use to it.

Also try jumping on a bench with two foot and then jump backward with one foot. Switch from left to right foot. Keep doing this and repeat until your legs get tire

Trust me you will see an huge improvement in your vertical after 1 months of doing all that everyday.

After your vertical is improve. Start looking for plyometric and other ways to improve vertical

It feel good to do a tomahawk slam in a random pick up game when nobody expect that you can dunk :smokin

Last edited:
Plyometrics, particularly box jumps. Don't know what your foundation is in weight lifting, probably not much judging by your size, but when you get into that look into Bulgarian squats (you can also turn these into a plyo by doing jumps with no resistance) and then other olympics lifts like deadlifts, squats obviously, lunges, stuff in your posterior chain and don't neglect your core. Twicethespeed1 on Youtube is a good free channel that gives lots of good advice free.

FWIW, haven't dunked in like 4 yrs :x, used to be able to do so off a pure standing vert even more yrs ago, also 6ft.

FWIW, haven't dunked in like 4 yrs
sick.gif
, used to be able to do so off a pure standing vert even more yrs ago, also 6ft.
Off vert?!?! 
eek.gif

I used to be able to drop step and like dunk it in the most gentlest of dunks possible 
laugh.gif
 but ya I'm in the same boat, haven't dunked in about 4 years, but I still get up every now and then, just can't dunk no more 
mean.gif
..... for now

Yep off pure just stand there and bend my knees vert. I haven't even hooped in over a yr though other than in my driveway the last month and I gained almost 100lbs from my aforementioned athletic prime.

jump manual. Im about to start next week when Iget the weigths again

im' 5'8, I can touch the rim on most courts, but cant hang. I never really did any vert program, once I start, I hope to see some good results.

Volleyball is actually where I 'learned' to really jump 
smokin.gif

Try air alert.
You can find the program online lol.

I haven't tried it myself and I don't plan to (don't think my knees can handle it, and I don't really ball anymore), but I'm sure you can get some exercise ideas from there.

To put it simply, build up your calf muscles using a variety of exercises. I wish I could be more specific but I haven't been in a gym in 8 months. 
sick.gif
mean.gif

You're 6ft and still 5 inches away from touching the rim? Can you at least clap the backboard?

Jeez, I'm a solid 5'9-5'10 with sneakers and I can touch the rim with ease. I tore my ACL twice btw :lol:

Just do plyometics like people said above. Your core strength is probably what's lacking the most. How's your lateral speed though?

Last edited:
Im 5'9" and can only grab rim... You should focus on becoming the best perimeter you can be cuz you have no hope... :lol:

dude your 6'0,no worries, youll be dunking soon. I wish I had those 4 extra inches, lol Just believe and do jump manual, it is safe for your knees, air alert is not, too many reps. JM is effective and guarantees 10 inches or your money back. The guy will email you and help you out.

5 inches from the rim? lol measure again

Last edited:
Man in the meantime, you can do 200 calf raises every night.

Man in the meantime, you can do 200 air squats every night.

Man in the meantime, you can work on getting your core as strong as possible.

Add that ontop of anything else you are doing

Back
Top Bottom