Tips on Mounting an LCD TV?

Hopefully some of you home theater/tech guru's can help lead me in the right direction.  I want to mount my LCD TV above my fireplace (gas fireplace, so I'm 99% there is no full chimney behind that wall).  My house is set up kinda funny and all the outlets/wall plates are against a different wall that is about 5-6 ft away.  I dont want to mount it all bootleg with wires running along the walls.  How easy is it to run the wires myself?  My receiver, ps3, cable box, etc... are going to be setup where the outlet/wallplates are currently at.  It is advisable for me to just call in an electrician and have him install a new wallplate/outlet right above the fireplace where I want to mount my TV and run female to female HDMI and CAT 5 cable inside the walls?  Any tips from anyones whos done this before would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Pretty easy man -

If you have an attic do this - go in attic near where fireplace is. If you see a vent coming from fireplace to ceiling, you'll want to keep wires away from that. If you don't see one and you're sure you're at the right spot, check for anything that may be stopping you from running the wire up the wall. Sometimes there'll be a 2x4 going horizontally and blocking access behind the wall. If it looks clear (maybe just insulation in wall), then you should be able to get a *stiff* wire runner to push up from the hole that'd you'd drill in your wall. Get your wire and electrical tape it to the wire runner and go to attic and pull up. Pretty much repeat for where all your stuff is at, only you would tape wires from attic and pull down from wall.

If there's other things goin on some other things may occur. But if you take pics I can maybe shoot you in the right direction. It's really not all that complicated.

Pretty easy man -

If you have an attic do this - go in attic near where fireplace is. If you see a vent coming from fireplace to ceiling, you'll want to keep wires away from that. If you don't see one and you're sure you're at the right spot, check for anything that may be stopping you from running the wire up the wall. Sometimes there'll be a 2x4 going horizontally and blocking access behind the wall. If it looks clear (maybe just insulation in wall), then you should be able to get a *stiff* wire runner to push up from the hole that'd you'd drill in your wall. Get your wire and electrical tape it to the wire runner and go to attic and pull up. Pretty much repeat for where all your stuff is at, only you would tape wires from attic and pull down from wall.

If there's other things goin on some other things may occur. But if you take pics I can maybe shoot you in the right direction. It's really not all that complicated.

My place is actually a 2 story condo, and I have another unit above me which make me believe that there is no chimney and maybe just some sort of pipe/vent.

Supposedly escrow is closing tonight and I get my keys after I leave the office today so I will try to snap some pics to show you. Thanks again for your help.

Back
Top Bottom