Tips on the process of writing lyrics? VOL. How to be a rapper lol

It's been something that I would mess around with while I was bored, I would just pull out my phone and started typing down lyrics. Now that I'm back home from campus, I realize that the phone isn't the best thing, so I started to write them down into my notebook. I guess the only problem is sometimes its hard to get the creative juices flowin. Are there any tips to help improve? (for example, how do I go about rapping about a topic? what should I be thinking of before I begin?)

It's been something that I would mess around with while I was bored, I would just pull out my phone and started typing down lyrics. Now that I'm back home from campus, I realize that the phone isn't the best thing, so I started to write them down into my notebook. I guess the only problem is sometimes its hard to get the creative juices flowin. Are there any tips to help improve? (for example, how do I go about rapping about a topic? what should I be thinking of before I begin?)

just write the first thing that comes to mind then try to flow it out a few times and cut down/add words that are messing up your flow. then just work on delivering it in different ways. Rap is all about delivery now-a-days. J Cole is a great lyricist.. but some ppl find him boring, so just make interesting/cool sounding words flow nice.

just write the first thing that comes to mind then try to flow it out a few times and cut down/add words that are messing up your flow. then just work on delivering it in different ways. Rap is all about delivery now-a-days. J Cole is a great lyricist.. but some ppl find him boring, so just make interesting/cool sounding words flow nice.

write to beats... let the feel of the beat dictate the direction of the lyrics... and write full songs...

write to beats... let the feel of the beat dictate the direction of the lyrics... and write full songs...

Originally Posted by MusicalExcellence

Do the opposite of whatever this guy says.

Originally Posted by MusicalExcellence

Do the opposite of whatever this guy says.

Don't try to rhyme everything..don't force lines. it's not just writing the lyrics either, the delivery and enunciation of the words mean just as much. if you think of a great phrase, line, punchline, jot it down...it could be the start of something great.

Don't try to rhyme everything..don't force lines. it's not just writing the lyrics either, the delivery and enunciation of the words mean just as much. if you think of a great phrase, line, punchline, jot it down...it could be the start of something great.

Originally Posted by Crime Wave

Originally Posted by HipHopDoc09

dont force punchlines
this picture is ayo on like 6 or 7 levels
writing raps, like everything, is all about practice..the more you write, the better you'll be

usually, a line will pop in my head and I just start writing

listen to your favorite beats and the fire should come to you 

and def don't force the rhymes..i was just listening to Curren$y's address..one of my favorite songs but I realized dude hardly rhymes for the entire verse..

storytelling >>>rhyming

dont force punchlines
writing raps, like everything, is all about practice..the more you write, the better you'll be

and def don't force the rhymes..i was just listening to Curren$y's address..one of my favorite songs but I realized dude hardly rhymes for the entire verse..

storytelling >>>rhyming

Originally Posted by MeloVP

dont force punchlines

storytelling >>>rhyming
Rhythm is more important than rhyming.

dont force punchlines

storytelling >>>rhyming

dont force punchlines

2yw96ja.jpg

"I'm like the hammer that you hold in your hand, I make hits!"

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

storytelling >>>rhyming
any tips on keeping rhythm fluid? or is it just something you need to have a feel for.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

storytelling >>>rhyming
any tips on keeping rhythm fluid? or is it just something you need to have a feel for.

Count syllables so you maintain a decent flow throughout the lines and eventually it'll come to you naturally. When I first started writing poetry I had no clue what rhythm was, but once you make a conscious effort to count the syllables, you'll understand it and be subconsciously in sync.

Back
Top Bottom