Tired Sports cliches and phrases vol. Don't "step up"

If one were to believe the words spoken by 99% of coaches and players one would think the secret to winning is "stepping up", "focusing"and "taking one game at a time".

It's really that simple.

Sports cliches and phrases I hate hearing or reading:

"Step up" - As opposed to stepping down?

"We need to be focused" - why would one not focus. Focusing= winning and playing well.

"One game at a time" - esp. tired.

"His play speaks volumes"- coaches love this one. Pleases stop.

"well, Joe Blow had a tough game but he's one our guys and he has a proven track record. We gotta be patient with him and you know, see how playsout"

I know there are more. Share yours.

"It is what it is"

"Both teams played hard"

Asked about and injury, "It feels really good"......LIARS

"They just made more plays"

"Leave it all out on the field/floor"

"I cant take anything away from them"

"You can't say enough about him"

"Everybody's on the same page"

'Trap Game'-i can just imagine the frozen tundra of Lambeau Field...littered wit bear traps and covered pits. (Or alternately, players movin work onthe sideline
laugh.gif
)

A veteran who 'knows how 2 win'-who the HELL doesn't know how 2 win? Score more points than your opponent before time runs out!

He's a 'gamer'-what? Aren't they all?

Streching the field- Um...no matter how many time you throw the ball the field is gonna be 100 yards by 40 yards...

I know there's more...

"play the right way." ever since larry brown started saying that crap now everyone says it. i dont know why but i just hate to hear that stupidsentence

not the same thing but i am so tired of the Brett Favre esque throws, as if Brett was the only qb to ever scrabble and make a throw. imagine how many timesi hear that wit Romo.

#1 of all time:

"It's isn't about the money."

Next in line:

"We don't get any respect from the media."
"Just taking in one game at a time."
"It's a marathon, not a sprint."
"I just want to win." (Or, "I would trade everything for one championship).
"Player A is old and gray out there and still doin his thing!" (when the player is only about 34 years old).
"It is what it is."
"We were one lucky bounce away from winning."
"He isn't playing the Yankee way."
"_________ _____ _______ Brett Favre ______ __________ awestruck ______"
"We have the best fans in the world."
"The only people who thought we would win were the guys in that locker room."
"Hey, we're small market therfore we cant spend money"
"God just blessed me today."

Originally Posted by Ahmed Adudi

"play the right way." ever since larry brown started saying that crap now everyone says it. i dont know why but i just hate to hear that stupid sentence
I hate that phrase as much as I hate Larry Brown.

i dont like it when players throw god into the reason why they won, why would god pick one team over another?

I'm definitely going to have to agree with RyGuy's nomination for #1.

"You know, it really isn't about the money. It's about respect."

Bull.
laugh.gif
Random post game interview that could take place after any professional sport, being said by any professional athlete:
You know, the key to this game was focus. We really came out there and gave 110%. Games like these are really about who wants it more, and we wanted it more than they did tonight. Both teams really played hard and fought it out, but we had a few more things go our way and we were fortunate enough to come away with the victory tonight. We had a game plan and we executed it, and we never lost focus of that game plan. We weren't really thinking about the loss to this team last time we played them, because we just take one game at a time. We wanted to come out and see what happens. It's a war out there, but we're lucky that we have a lot of troopers for games like these, and that really says a lot about who they are. , and we just stepped up to the challenge and did a good job of letting the game come to us, and hopefully tomorrow we can be fortunate enough to do it again.
Which basically says... absolutely nothing.
laugh.gif

And I love when reporters TRY to to the guy to talk about something specific, TRYING to get the athlete to get away from the standard issue cliches, but theathlete just goes right back to them.

- "So what can you say about the fact that guys rebounded them 54 - 19 tonight?"
- "Well, that's the thing, when yo rebound the ball, it gives you more chances to make shots while taking away their opportunities to take shots. *andnow back to the cliches* And we really have some guys that are willing to go out there and leave everything they have on the floor, and we were fortunateenough t be able to make the shots that we took. It really was a team effort and hopefully we can do it again tomorrow."

roll.gif

In light of this thread, who are some guys you think DON'T just throw out cliche answers, guys that actually make for a good interview? I'm going withShaq (word to 'I don't give a shhh.'
laugh.gif
)

Streching the field- Um...no matter how many time you throw the ball the field is gonna be 100 yards by 40 yards...
i think by "stretching the field, they mean running longer routes like go routes and deep posts, as opposed to quick slants and 5 yardhitches. Stretching the field, i guess, means keeping the secondary at bay

and i'm surprised nobody mentioned:

DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS
alien.gif
sick.gif

"Player A is old and gray out there and still doin his thing!" (when the player is only about 34 years old).

yeah, that I hate...

but at the same time, what would all those players or coaches say instead of those stupid cliches (sp) ?

Random post game interview that could take place after any professional sport, being said by any professional athlete:
You know, the key to this game was focus. We really came out there and gave 110%. Games like these are really about who wants it more, and we wanted it more than they did tonight. Both teams really played hard and fought it out, but we had a few more things go our way and we were fortunate enough to come away with the victory tonight. We had a game plan and we executed it, and we never lost focus of that game plan. We weren't really thinking about the loss to this team last time we played them, because we just take one game at a time. We wanted to come out and see what happens. It's a war out there, but we're lucky that we have a lot of troopers for games like these, and that really says a lot about who they are. , and we just stepped up to the challenge and did a good job of letting the game come to us, and hopefully tomorrow we can be fortunate enough to do it again.
laugh.gif
Now I know how Yi picked up English so fast. The Bucks gave him a bookof sports cliches.

that quote from ska pretty much summed it up
laugh.gif

but for me these esp. get on my nerves
"They wanted it more than we did"
"We played with heart out there"
"Both teams played hard"

"We put this one behind us."

"We're all in this together."

"He's supersmart."

"We fought our guts out."

I hate phrases that are along the lines of:

"Well, my knee was killing me and I could barely walk, but I'm not going to make any excuses."

"We did some good things, and we did some bad things"

"It's a tough game out there"

"Reach down in your shorts and check you manhood"

Pretty much 70% of what Joe Gibbs says

Back
Top Bottom