To all the slackers like me: Don't give up! vol. failed first year of college.

pimp.gif

Originally Posted by JFMartiMcDandruff

what's your major now? did you switch?

congrats gettin into Davis

Political Science - Public Service.  I'm more interested in the theory/international relations side, but I chose public service at Davis because it's so near the state capital.  It requires an internship a related to the major to graduate.  I'd also say it's more practical.

I had an awesome political science professor the first semester I went back to the CC.  I'd always been interested and good at it high school (5s on both US history and Government AP tests).   I was just in business at CSUF because I made a bunch of money reselling sneakers in high school and thought I was doing it. 
laugh.gif

and
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif
at scshift getting caught lying.  Go to a CC, get your GPA up, and then transfer.  You'll save soooo much money, especially if your parents have enough money to pay for your schools.

Originally Posted by B Smooth 202

give up
tumblr_l1th96tSdO1qzdula.gif

Originally Posted by NikeAirForce1

and
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif
at scshift getting caught lying.  Go to a CC, get your GPA up, and then transfer.  You'll save soooo much money, especially if your parents have enough money to pay for your schools.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

If I didn't get into those schools listed, how would I have gotten into Stanford? I purposely chose two of the best universities and I thought it was pretty obvious I was joking. Oh well, I'm not smart enough to get into any of them so no harm no foul.

My parents aren't going to pay for anything, I gotta fund everything and I've been told that loans aren't a good idea so I don't know what I'm going to do. I don't even know why I applied to private schools cause they're so expensive. I didn't get money from any of them.

While we're talking about transferring, how likely is it to transfer to a top school from an average state school?

Originally Posted by Nowitzness41

Originally Posted by scshift

While we're talking about transferring, how likely is it to transfer to a top school from an average state school?
Its very likely if you got the right GPA. The first school i went to had a program to get into Texas automatically if you keep a 3.5 or higher for your freshman year (had to do 2 full semesters/15 hours each). Its all about results, and in college (ive found the hard way) its all about putting in work and time

When you're moving from college to college, is GPA still the dominant factor? Or do they want to see more progress/experience in the field you choose to enter? Say you're studying mechanical engineering, do schools/future employers want to see a high GPA, or activity in the mech. engineering side?

Originally Posted by odog24

op how do u get urself from bein a lazy bum to actually start doin work???? i have dis problem
Realize that just by being in college, you're better off than most people in this world.  There are so many people that want to be in our position, and yet, here we are squandering it away?  It doesn't sit well with me.  Going to a CC is the best decision I've made in my young life.  I never really knew what I wanted to do with my life.  It was free and I got paid to learn and explore. 

And there's always Adderall
laugh.gif
.  I've never used it myself, but I'm not against it. 

and
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

If I didn't get into those schools listed, how would I have gotten into Stanford? I purposely chose two of the best universities and I thought it was pretty obvious I was joking. Oh well, I'm not smart enough to get into any of them so no harm no foul.

My parents aren't going to pay for anything, I gotta fund everything and I've been told that loans aren't a good idea so I don't know what I'm going to do. I don't even know why I applied to private schools cause they're so expensive. I didn't get money from any of them.

Look up the transfer rates for state schools to whatever school you want to go to in your state.  In California, admission priority to UCs is given to community college students and other UCs.  It's harder to transfer from a state school to a UC, but not impossible.  I don't recommend going to a state school to transfer to a better school.  It just costs more for the exact same classes.

If you're going to have to pay out of pocket, go to a CC, get a high GPA, and transfer.  Transferring to a state school or a UC would cost about the same for me since tuition would be paid in full because I come from a low-income family.  In California, if your parents make less than $80,000 a year, California pays for all of the tuition.  The federal Pell grant gives you an extra $5500 a year.  You just have to pay for housing.  CC is a great and inexpensive way to figure out what you want to do.  My CC GPA won't even be calculated into my UC GPA when I'm done.

After CC and depending on your major, it might be better financially to go to a cheaper state school and then apply to a top grad school.

Its very likely if you got the right GPA. The first school i went to had a program to get into Texas automatically if you keep a 3.5 or higher for your freshman year (had to do 2 full semesters/15 hours each). Its all about results, and in college (ive found the hard way) its all about putting in work and time

When you're moving from college to college, is GPA still the dominant factor? Or do they want to see more progress/experience in the field you choose to enter? Say you're studying mechanical engineering, do schools/future employers want to see a high GPA, or activity in the mech. engineering side?

I'd say GPA is the dominant factor when you're transferring, but they also look at your extracurricular activites (jobs/volunteering), though I didn't have much at all.  From what I've read, job experience is what employers want.  Engineering majors can get away with lower GPAs, but not by too much. 

I saw a post on here where someone said they just went to a technical school for engineering and is making bank right now.   So look into that as well.

yea OP.................F your mom

my parents are supportive...

CCs are underrated, but there are a lot of people who just get stuck or drop out

Congrats fam. I go to Davis, I'm here for another year so holla at me, I'll put you on to many things.

Congrats op.

On another note, has anyone else noticed the unpredictability of the application process? Its as if many schools simply draw names from a hat. So many companies like US News, Kaplan, Princeton Review, ETS... make money by trying to systematizing a process that seems chaotic. I have applied to colleges thrice now (Undergrad, Grad-M.A., and Grad-PhD) and its a freaking crap shoot. I got accepted to places I did not ever think I could get into and applied simply for kicks-n-giggles, and I got rejected from places that I should have gotten into.

Its the same with my friends and fellow students. For instance, a friend of mine got rejected from a Loyola ranked 90 something in a particular program but got accepted to Minnesota, numbered 34.

Originally Posted by filipin0y

Originally Posted by filipin0y

you went from CC to CSUF to UCD? what cc did you go to btw?

??
sorry about that. 

I went to CSUF for one year and flunked.  went back to CC(currently my third year here), and just got accepted this past weekend into UC Davis. 

another interesting tidbit I forgot...

I'm Asian (Vietnamese)
embarassed.gif

born and raised in inner city LA

roll.gif

bruh, you got accepted. you didn't just graduate. not trying to discourage you but it hasn't even begun.  i hope you do well though and follow through.  

Seriously, people should look into community colleges first before going into a legit college. It helps with all the responsibility and whatnot. Plus, you don't want to be thrown into the fire if you're not ready for that.

On another note:

If you really don't want to go to college, don't go. It is a privilege to be in school and some people just don't understand because their parents are forcing them to go. That is something I don't like. Just stop wasting time in something you don't do and give your spot up to somebody that actually wants to go and do good.

if only hesc would help me out with grad school.

Good job. I started out at a CC as well because of never applying myself in high school, straight coasted that thang. It's only when I transferred into a 4 year that I started taking everything serious.

Congrats fam. I go to Davis, I'm here for another year so holla at me, I'll put you on to many things.
yea OP.................F your mom
laugh.gif

You have almost the same story as me
laugh.gif

Went to a CSU (Cal Poly Pomona) for three years, decided I needed to bounce out of that hellhole, so I got a job.

Planning on going to CC for a year and then applying to Cal (the only school I can really imagine myself at). I'm gonna have to do the full-time work, part-time school thing.

Originally Posted by an dee 51o

You have almost the same story as me
laugh.gif

Went to a CSU (Cal Poly Pomona) for three years, decided I needed to bounce out of that hellhole, so I got a job.

Planning on going to CC for a year and then applying to Cal (the only school I can really imagine myself at). I'm gonna have to do the full-time work, part-time school thing.

you might have too many credits to transfer as a junior... SOME UCs might not accept you. talk with your counselors first

I'd say GPA is the dominant factor when you're transferring, but they also look at your extracurricular activites (jobs/volunteering), though I didn't have much at all.  From what I've read, job experience is what employers want.  Engineering majors can get away with lower GPAs, but not by too much. 

I saw a post on here where someone said they just went to a technical school for engineering and is making bank right now.   So look into that as well.
Engineering majors can get away with lower GPA's depending on the school and it's reputation. Offer some advice, if you want to be an Engineering major, which is weird since you applied to stern, CC is not the route to go. It would be in your best interest to take a gap year where you volunteer and build your overall application, address how you feel in the admission's emotion about your unexpected gap year and how it made you a more well rounded person(first true disappointment in life). If your interested in another field, I would advice you to take a look into community colleges. If your really set on being ivy league bond, N.C.C sends a few students up to Cornell every year. NCC is in new york so you would have to decide if struggling those two years is worth the glam of the ivy league. 

Originally Posted by MPLSdunk

bruh, you got accepted. you didn't just graduate. not trying to discourage you but it hasn't even begun.  i hope you do well though and follow through.  
this. big deal, celebrate for a night then move on. i'm not telling you this to discourage you, i'm telling you this to motivate you to keep moving forward. 
no offense but you barely got decent grades at your CC.. chances are you still haven't fully mastered the habits and attitude needed to do well in a competitive school, am i right? (yes i am) if i were you i'd be frantically trying to prepare myself for what lies ahead not humble bragging online. because in a couple years its gonna be "have a 2.5 GPA from UC Davis with no job, what to do NT?"

Back
Top Bottom