To my minority NT'ers: Do you stay away from ordering stereotypical ethnic foods in public??

I travel a lot for work and whenever we go out to eat I NEVER order meals with chicken. I know they wouldn't say anything rude, but I don't want themto think "(of course this guy orders the chicken) yes miss I'll take the lamb". Maybe I shouldn't be self-conscious about it, but I justthink about it whenever I go out. Even sometimes when I go out with my family I don't order chicken meals at sit-down restaurants. I think the stereotypeis funny, but still don't want to fall into it. Am I alone here?

I don't really remember ever taking action about it, but I DEFINITELY think about it.

Matter fact, at work one guy usually picks up some Arizonas from the dollar store and bring them back. One day, he asks what everyone wanted and he gets to meand I say "Watermelon" dude paused and hit me with the...

grin.gif
"O..Rly?" face

At the end of the day *forget* what they think.

Originally Posted by HypeBeast McStreetwear

At the end of the day *forget* what they think.

What do you mean by they?
grin.gif

But on the real I think this is a little silly. Order some damn chicken if you want some damn chicken.

It doesnt matter to me.....
if it does it's almost like you are trying to impress someone, saying to yourself "im better than that, im not buying the plantains with the friedsalami."
Might as well deny your ethnicity.

i thought about it.but it didnt stop me. and i have to go to dinners where im the only minority for my job but i still get my chicken
laugh.gif

I see all points, but maybe it pertains more to blks in this case. It at least crosses your mind. I not denying my ethnicity, but it just trips me out.

the hell with that, ill eat whatever i want regardless of who is with me or watching. they got suttin to say ill smack them upside the head with a plate ofrice and beans!
devil.gif

Man.. more times than not i'll order chicken and not think twice about it, I order what I like and no one is going to change that
pimp.gif

My gf be trying to get me stop ordering Buffalo Wings so dam much but in the early afternoons when we usually hit up Fridays, Chilis, Ruby Tuesdays orBeneggans inbetween shopping, that's all I want. I don't care about the waitress snickering, that chic a waitress for a reason, when they do that I getignorant and put cash knot on the table like im playing with lego blocks.

If you're afraid of ordering something you genuinely like, then why even go out to eat? I'll be damned if I don't get what I want for the reason itfalls under a stereotypical choice for a guy like me. Steak + rice ALL day.

Nope, if I want chicken I'll get the chicken. I'm not a huge fan of friend chicken though anyways. There's too many black stereotypes anyways, youcan't avoid "proving" one so I'd just say live your life. I'm about to go hoop right now.

By preventing yourself from eating something you like, or doing anything you like in general for that matter, due to someone else's perception of astereotype, you're feeding into their warped views.

I won't be afraid to order it, but sometimes I might feel kind of weird because I'm scared people are going to be saying "Look; just like it saysin the encyclopedia"

The thing is everyone likes chicken, not just black people. That stereotype is stupid, most are. Unless I'm missing the root of it, and in that case, Idon't know.

Back
Top Bottom