Trip to Chicago, suggestions please?

I am planning to visit Chicago in Mid-September and am staying at the Sutton Place Hotel by the Magnificent Mile. I was wondering what is there to do in Chicago (does not have to be typical tourist things)? Is this a good central location for most things and is it easy to navigate Chicago through public transportation (I will not be renting a car)? Also, I am from Houston and on Sept. 8th, the Astros will be playing the Cubs at Wrigley Field, is it worth it to go see the game?

Last question, is this part of Chicago (downtown) safe for tourists? What areas should I avoid?

Thanks, if there is anything else you would like to add, it is more than welcome.

Edit: Any particular places I should visit? I will be going with my girlfriend.
Eating/Restaurant?
Sight Seeing?
Fun?
Parks?
Bars?
Nightlife?
Tours?
Open for anything really.

Yes. Go to Wrigley. It's an amazing/chill experience. Depends where you sit as well.

The only place you really need to avoid/dangerous is south side Chicago but you aren't staying anywhere near there.

With the gf, go to Navy Pier.

Night-time bar life is good at Lincoln Park area.

You can hit up all the stores on Michigan Ave with your girl. She'll probably appreciate that. Hope you have deep pockets.

Eating deep dish = Lou Manati's. Don't let anyone else tell you otherwise

There's a place called Hot Doug's. I find it to be overrated for a hot dog place with a wait.

If there's something specific that you are looking to eat, let me know.

You're not too far from a subway stop, which is good...I'd say a 5-10 minute walk to the red line and the clark/division stop.  From the red line, you can basically navigate your way to popular destinations or at least navigate to a transfer.  Wrigley is on the red line, so you're good there.

As mentioned, I think you're only issue about safety is down south...and even that is really only questionable at night imo.

Check out Navy Pier during the day and maybe the night as well because they did have fireworks at the Pier every Saturday last year (anybody know if they're continuing that?)

Check out Millenium Park of course, and the downtown area surrounding it (imo, it's the best area of downtown)

Michigan Ave. is great for shopping of course because there's high end shopping as well as discount brands (there's something for EVERYONE!)

If you're looking to really check out Chicago besides all the tourist junk, check out the neighborhoods of Lincoln Park, Wicker Park, Lakeview.

Also, another pretty neat area is Pilsen (right now it's a highly hispanic area, but it's developing now)...cool area to check out and grab some good authentic hispanic food.

Definitely check the Pier out. Wrigley would be a must as well no other park in the world like it.

If you want some good eats Ron of Japan is a great place to get some down right great food where they cook it up right in front of you.

Check out the Formerly known as Sears Tower, but will forever in my heart be known as Sears Tower. I mean we are talking about the CHI and that is the most famous landmark there.

As far places to avoid i would just be alert wherever you may go, city is crazy no joke.

Avoid walking around at night too much. There are a lot of bums roaming the streets and some of them are looking for trouble. A few places you should visit are...

Bubba Gump at navy pier - Excellent food/shrimp

Wrigley field - Astros and Cubs = GREAT. (My pops took me to my first ball game in 1986 when harry caray was still alive and I still remember it.) At night you can go literally across the street and there are a ton of bars you can choose from. Moes cantina is a very good one.

Visit the Jordan statute outside of the United Center on Madison.

Take a boat ride on the pier, it's worth it.

The Museums like History and shed aquarium are a must.

Sears Tower of course

If you want to dine and watch from above, I suggest either the signature room in the John Hancock building or Everest in the Financial building on Lasalle.

Visit excalibur at night if you want to go to a club. It has a few floors with different music. It's a great atmosphere.

Visit Buckingham fountain on columbus drive. (Same fountain you see in the show 'Married with Children).

There's so much more to do in Chi town, it's unbelievable. Too bad you're visiting in september, otherwise you could catch a Bulls game. Lebron might be coming to town. haha

Hope that helps.

Originally Posted by GottaBdaShoes

Avoid walking around at night too much. There are a lot of bums roaming the streets and some of them are looking for trouble. A few places you should visit are...

Bubba Gump at navy pier - Excellent food/shrimp

Wrigley field - Astros and Cubs = GREAT. (My pops took me to my first ball game in 1986 when harry caray was still alive and I still remember it.) At night you can go literally across the street and there are a ton of bars you can choose from. Moes cantina is a very good one.

Visit the Jordan statute outside of the United Center on Madison.

Take a boat ride on the pier, it's worth it.

The Museums like History and shed aquarium are a must.

Sears Tower of course

If you want to dine and watch from above, I suggest either the signature room in the John Hancock building or Everest in the Financial building on Lasalle.

Visit excalibur at night if you want to go to a club. It has a few floors with different music. It's a great atmosphere.

Visit Buckingham fountain on columbus drive. (Same fountain you see in the show 'Married with Children).

There's so much more to do in Chi town, it's unbelievable. Too bad you're visiting in september, otherwise you could catch a Bulls game. Lebron might be coming to town. haha

Hope that helps.

We've given you a lot to do. Get to it homie!
pimp.gif

Was just there in early June, stayed on Lasalle near Chicago Ave. Did the "Sears" tower, Mag Mile, Navy Pier and the Ferris Wheel, Millennium Park, Grant Park, the Nike Store on Michigan Ave, Gino's East, Al's Beef. Ate at Rainforest Cafe as well, nothing special.

Not all of the South Side of Chicago is bad, there are really nice areas on the Southside. On the other hand most of the West Side of Chicago is bad, i.e. Madison, Jackson, Division, etc.

Back
Top Bottom