Uber Driver killed by 13 and 15 yr old in DC

The youngins def have their own crew/gang beefs going on right now, all modeled after what they been seeing in music n media

But when the news and folks in charge say “gang” they mean it in a way to rile up n scare the average person who votes or complains to officials…Those folks still see a gang as some bloods doing drive by’s and they all for whatever questionable old school tactics govt n law enforcement have to combat it

Does the music not promote drug and alcohol use in addition to violence?

I think on some level people want to participate in the things they are entertained by. Well adjusted folks with things to lose aren't generally gonna go commit a bunch of crimes cause they heard it in a song. But we know there are plenty of folks who aren't well adjusted out here, children especially, which has nothing to do with rap necessarily. Rap isnt the cause of these issues but I think it perpetuates the cycle. I think thats where the disconnect is in these conversations, people who are "blaming" rap arent saying rap is the root of the problem. It perpetuates and glorifies negative, harmful behavior. It most certainly is not helping the situation.

There’s plenty of positive rap out there, but the mainstream also tends to push the stuff with negativity whether it be violence or drugs.

The youngins def have their own crew/gang beefs going on right now, all modeled after what they been seeing in music n media

But when the news and folks in charge say “gang” they mean it in a way to rile up n scare the average person who votes or complains to officials…Those folks still see a gang as some bloods doing drive by’s and they all for whatever questionable old school tactics govt n law enforcement have to combat it
There’s coded language for sure, but I’m willing to bet the average person wouldn’t want to be shot at while attending a relatives funeral.

I’m for preventative measures, community engagement/programs and tougher enforcement.

I’m for preventative measures, community engagement/programs and tougher enforcement.
This country already showed time and time again they have no interest in and 1st 2 things you mentioned and will be skipped for enforcement…Then when you bring Law Enforcement in the picture you can’t trust em to do anything in good faith, especially regarding black youth

What you said sounds good if this was a more rational and better country tho, it’s far from that right now…Not saying you, but alotta folks wanna go straight back to the “tough on crime days” like they don’t remember why ppl got sick of that in the 1st place :lol: :smh:

But I also might be jaded cuz im from a place that long had a crime/murder problem and locking more folks up or giving police extra power still ain’t help so who knows 🤷🏾‍♂️

You mentioned that the nuance (I’m assuming drill videos on YouTube) hopefully remains distinct. I’m asking what content would it be combined with and mistaken for.
Oh, I meant the distinction between the videos directly contributing to the violence by addressing specific incidents and people vs more indirectly contributing through a “culture of violence.”

VARNELL HILL VARNELL HILL rightly complained that I (and others) weren’t recognizing that distinction. But I think subsequent posts on the thread have pointed out that there are people making the second argument as well.

Well pardon me for not wanting the government to use this as an excuse to start that crash / gang unit foolishness when all you need is YouTube to solve half the crimes out here.

When I hear folks talk about gangs I actually come from that era but you right, my time in the streets has come and gone thank God.

In my time you had to actually be a gang with a structure and shot callers. Literally organized but my youngins tell me it ain't like that these days and I have no reason to doubt them. They ask no permission to hit a lick or make a play...and nobody is gonna stop them from eating food if they want.

It may be tomato/tamaato for some folks but I can see how Bowser will play this whole gang narrative in the next election and it ain't good. More "funding" for cops/law enforcement to do nothing but maybe things worse.

Meanwhile Maryland trying to pass laws outlawing felonies for minors. SMH.

Bowser already did in this election when she placed the fear tactic in NW, SW, and Navy Yard/Capitol Hill area. Remember the shooting during the Nats game in 2021 off P St? or the shooting while folks were eating lunch/dinner on U St in 2021? It did nothing but speed up the demo timeline for James Creek/Syphax/Greenleaf. She placed blame on Contee and he placed blame to the courts when the Courts been open since July 2020. However, Bowser was able to secure a 3rd term (from the Gentrifiers).

Meanwhile, the shooting off MLK near the Popeyes on Malcolm X were the kids were literally running for their lives, SHE and HIM were nowhere in site to be outraged and show support.

Also I can see that bill in Maryland is unlikely to pass as it will only benefit 3 areas of the State (B-More, PG, and MoCo). The lawmakers elsewhere will vote Nay on that bill so quick. However, Wes Moore could override it.

Yeah the media and the clear folks for sure is spinning it like DC has gang warfare like Chicago or LA. I've had kids tell me they dont feel safe going to another part of the city b/c of the neighborhood/street beef vs an actual gang. Before yall come at my head, I am not saying gangs dont exist as my colleagues in NW supervise 18th St and MS. I am just saying its usually the former and not the latter.

And for those inquiring, I am a Juvenile PO in DC. Also was a juvenile PO in PG County for 6 years too and Baltimore for 1.

Someone please differentiate “neighborhood/street beef” vs. gang activity/warfare for me. And then demonstrate the difference between the two in present-day context.

I don’t see any benefit to this outside of wanting to continue shaming juveniles who went through the system.

What’s wrong with that?? I say the court system and the public should shame any juvenile that’s been through the system. The juvenile be it himself or herself should FEEL shame for being through the system. The parents of the juvenile should be shamed as well.

We need to go back to doing some of the things that worked before in the past. Back in the day you would feel embarrassed if you did something to hurt your family name. Nowadays folks do whatever with no consequences.

That’s great to have preventative measures……..even “business programs” which was constantly tossed around this thread earlier. At the end of the day folks are making conscious decisions to do what they are doing. If some of these folks want to be career criminals there’s not much I or others can do to stop them from being successful at it. They have to want it for themselves.

Folks gotta want to do better for themselves and learn how to stop digging their own graves. Like I have said on here many times before….****** are voluntarily signing up for jail these days. Key word is voluntarily.

The average citizen these days is simply fed up with the foolishness and the levels to which some of these juveniles are acting. Some of these juveniles are simply beyond repair. That’s going to be tough for a lot of people on here to understand.

What’s wrong with that?? I say the court system and the public should shame any juvenile that’s been through the system. The juvenile be it himself or herself should FEEL shame for being through the system. The parents of the juvenile should be shamed as well.

We need to go back to doing some of the things that worked before in the past. Back in the day you would feel embarrassed if you did something to hurt your family name. Nowadays folks do whatever with no consequences.
The argument from that video is they can’t tell if the juvenile courts are doing a good job due to a lack of transparency. You don’t need to unseal records for that. They can provide anonymous data on number of arrests, types of arrest, etc for folks to analyze.

That’s great to have preventative measures……..even “business programs” which was constantly tossed around this thread earlier. At the end of the day folks are making conscious decisions to do what they are doing. If some of these folks want to be career criminals there’s not much I or others can do to stop them from being successful at it. They have to want it for themselves.

Folks gotta want to do better for themselves and learn how to stop digging their own graves. Like I have said on here many times before….****** are voluntarily signing up for jail these days. Key word is voluntarily.

The average citizen these days is simply fed up with the foolishness and the levels to which some of these juveniles are acting. Some of these juveniles are simply beyond repair. That’s going to be tough for a lot of people on here to understand.
When I talk about community engagement/programs, I’m not speaking of protests and back to school drives. I’m talking about actual action in your neighborhood to keep it safe. When you see illegal activity, call the cops. Minor or large. Nip that **** out early. Setup a neighborhood watch program if only a few people are comfortable patrolling.

Preventative measures includes deterrents, which is aided by tougher enforcement. Fines for the parents/guardians in addition to whatever the child gets. And actually follow through on it. Raise the bar high enough and those negligent parents will start paying attention.

Yeah, that aint happening :lol: juvenile records are literally confidential for a plethora of reasons. One being.... SAFETY lol
But in all seriousness, public shame and humiliation doesn't work anymore, just like those scared straight programs were not even effective. All it does it make it worse actually.

The argument from that video is they can’t tell if the juvenile courts are doing a good job due to a lack of transparency. You don’t need to unseal records for that. They can provide anonymous data on number of arrests, types of arrest, etc for folks to analyze.

DC juvenile system has 2 agencies, Court Social Services (DC Courts) who handles the Probation side and Dept of Youth Rehab Services (DYRS) whih is the committed (sentenced) side. The arrest to probation to sucessful termination data is there, but I cant speak for DYRS as it is a separate agency. Also DYRS is a DC Govt entity (Under Bowser) while the Probation is under the Courts which is Quasi-Federal.

When I talk about community engagement/programs, I’m not speaking of protests and back to school drives. I’m talking about actual action in your neighborhood to keep it safe. When you see illegal activity, call the cops. Minor or large. Nip that **** out early. Setup a neighborhood watch program if only a few people are comfortable patrolling.

Preventative measures includes deterrents, which is aided by tougher enforcement. Fines for the parents/guardians in addition to whatever the child gets. And actually follow through on it. Raise the bar high enough and those negligent parents will start paying attention.

THIS!!!! Parents really arent held accountable and depend on the PO to parent their child. Issuing fines and even parenting classes, in addition to victim awareness/community service WITH THEIR CHILD would work too. Unfortunately, the juvenile laws/code changed in 2017 to what it is now. :smh:

It was only a matter of time. They hang outside the entrance drinking and smoking. Sometimes literally on the escalators. I was actually coming thru Gallery Place and just saw Killmoe’s post. Was a rack of police down there. It’s this one crackhead that’s always at the bottom of the stairs or by Walgreens it’s like a miracle he’s still alive. I’ve seen him for years and assume he’d be dead by now.

Back
Top Bottom