UC SANTA BARBARA STUDENTS/GRADS STEP INTO THIS THREAD PLEASE

Gov't might be sending me to UCSB starting the 2012 school years to get my Masters. Tell me some good things and some bad things about the school from a students perspective. I thank you in advance. 

C/O 2010.
Good:

Weather, atmosphere, ocean, beach.

Girls, parties, clubs, State St.

Campus is tight so not too much commute between classes.

Nice bike path.

Good hiking trails.

Close to LA for any of your networking/business needs.

Bad: 

Hard to focus if you live near Isla Vista.

Too loud at times, sometimes you just need a break from the chaos and party people dont take breaks in SB lol.

Can be dangerous, especially during halloween time. Many of my friends cars got damaged, places got broken into...the party school rep isnt always a good thing.

Very expensive city to live in if you dont have financial aid. I would try to work while you attend school, even if its for a masters.

Hope that helps.

smile.gif

1. Parties
2. Rich White Girls
3. Tons of liquor

EDIT: Didnt graduate there but familiar with the scene.

Lots of hot girls.
Beautiful campus.
Friendly people.

Since you're going to be a graduate student I think your experience will be different at UCSB.

Originally Posted by Inspectorgadget13

Lots of hot girls.
Beautiful campus.
Friendly people.

Since you're going to be a graduate student I think your experience will be different at UCSB.
This. You'll just have to deal with the typical SB shenanigans.

i just graduated from there and its a lot like what licensed to ball said. but i know some grad students and they're lifestyle is different. they hang with older crowd, prepare lesson plans and work on papers/projects, frequent downtown rather than isla vista/dp and if you get grad housing or live in goleta instead of isla vista you'll be good its safer in those spots. the closer you get to dp the more chaotic it gets.

Good:
Weather,

Parties,

Women,
pimp.gif

Surf,

Bad: All of the above can be distracting,

a good combo of good academics and fun . U.Can.Study.Buzzed.
laugh.gif

Thanks guys...especially Licensed To Ball!!

Yeah I'm definitely going there to study and focus. Everything is getting paid for, from living expenses, to tuition and books so I can't be messing around. Had no idea UCSB was a party school though... I thought that was just Chico State and SDSU. Interesting. I'm so corny at this stage of my life, so I doubt if I'll have trouble messing with the *#%%*#. They will not even be checking for me
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Chico State (my alma mater) is/was a party school, but in CA those who remain in state cycle through Southern California and Northern California colleges...

Chico's rep was based on the original Playboy part school list and is in a farm town...so there's not much else to do. When I was graduating high school in 2001, the majority of my class started moving toward UCSB and their JuCo.

UCSB is nice though, I love Santa Barbara in general, definitely a place I wish I had a house at for weekends. Grad school will be a different experience than undergrad to say the very least.

Good:
Of course, the weather is amazing. I would sunbathe naked outside my apartment if it weren't illegal.

UCSB gives grad students university housing that is about a year old, really nice apartments. Furnished + utilities, the whole enchilada.

Almost all bus lines go through the UCSB bus loop and can pretty much take you anywhere.

Downtown is about 15 minutes away and has clubs/bars/stores/restaurants. Also, you can rent those fancy beach bikes, jet skis, kayaks, or go sailing (boat has a bar and all). Not to mention FIESTAS, which is an event that happens the first week of August every year, and downtown is SWARMING with people.

Bad:
If you do decide to bike, my god, be careful. People sit on the grass with lawn chairs on the first day of school to watch freshmen cause crashes all day.

If you rent a place with a local property management, they will more than likely take your deposit. I did university housing, shared a room for $550 (went up to $580 this year) and got half of my deposit back.

Bikes get stolen all the time, nobody is safe lol

If you live by Del Playa (the street right before the beach) you probably wont sleep. That street never sleeps. Not to mention its dirty as F*#!, I partied there one night and stepped on a raw chicken breast :/

There will be a cure for AIDS before finding street parking in Isla Vista.

Skunks have an empire in IV, they don't mess around and travel in packs.

I'm graduating this year finally. I would recommend it though
smile.gif

Back
Top Bottom