Under Armour running shoes (pics)

42435265ee90de2898037f3a876b35f18701e28.pjpg

8c625b7e15d4396e70a8ddbefb7b74ed4a72b12.pjpg

ead351fcee88d2f094347ec6878c1dfbad9133e.pjpg

sick.gif

they're trying too hard. should just stick to clothing.

if they can't even get their cross trainers right i wonder what the hell is going to happen with the runners..

These running shoes are a different story than the cross-trainers. The running shoes were designed by Chris Brewer, UA's Director of Product Creation,formerly of Fila and Mizuno. He was the designer behind Fila's Flow and Mizuno's Wave technologies, so I'm told. He's an experienced designerand a marathoner.

My local running store owner is a former distance runner at Arkansas and a very knowledgeable shoe guy. Wearing size 9, he was able to road test each of theUA running shoes when the rep visited his store a while back. He said they are legit products and he will be bringing 3 or 4 styles in as soon as they'reavailable. They use a form of silicon gelatin, ala Asics and NB, which UA calls "Cartilage".

Lastly, I disagree with most of your "looks like" comments. If they look like anything currently on the market, it would easily be the BrooksDefyance (below), and that's just in the upper. But I feel the shoes, as a line, combine to fit very well withing UA's strong, clear brand identity.

picture

^^^ Thanks for the info.

He did great things for Fila's performance running line when it was first overhauled. But why Fila decided to go into performance running at that point wasbeyond me.

I have no doubt that these shoes will perform. UA is serious about the mechanics and engineering of sports tech.
But the styling...
When the football cleats came out, then the baseball, then the trainers, and now the runners, I want to be blown away by how different these look.
Each time it has been anti-climactic, especially for these.
To start with a clean slate - with no defined image of what their products are "supposed" to look like, I think this is a failure to innovate.
The second one (women's gray/green) is seriously generic.
Slap any other logo on these shoes and nobody would notice them at all.
Even the tech, and I do believe it will be good, looks kind of boring and me-too.

I dont care who makes my running shoes, if they perform they are mine. so im glad theres more competition out there.. i wonder what their stability shoe lookslike

Interesting to see if runners will move from established brands to try UA, or if UA sales will come from their existing demographic....

Originally Posted by Traveler9

These running shoes are a different story than the cross-trainers. The running shoes were designed by Chris Brewer, UA's Director of Product Creation, formerly of Fila and Mizuno. He was the designer behind Fila's Flow and Mizuno's Wave technologies, so I'm told. He's an experienced designer and a marathoner.

My local running store owner is a former distance runner at Arkansas and a very knowledgeable shoe guy. Wearing size 9, he was able to road test each of the UA running shoes when the rep visited his store a while back. He said they are legit products and he will be bringing 3 or 4 styles in as soon as they're available. They use a form of silicon gelatin, ala Asics and NB, which UA calls "Cartilage".

Lastly, I disagree with most of your "looks like" comments. If they look like anything currently on the market, it would easily be the Brooks Defyance (below), and that's just in the upper. But I feel the shoes, as a line, combine to fit very well withing UA's strong, clear brand identity.

picture
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
Knowledge.

I'm very interested in these shoes. The other styles don't look bad at all.

I actually think these are pretty good looking. If the tech in them is anything like asics then they shouldnt have too much trouble competing with the therbrands. They look far far better than the cross trainers they sell.

Heres a new pic and article from USA Today:
http://asp.usatoday.com/_common/_sc...et/sports/_photos/2008/12/08/shoesx-large.jpghttp://asp.usatoday.com/_...08/12/08/shoesx-large.jpg

Under Armour makes a run at Nike with new footwear line

By Michael McCarthy, USA TODAY

The sneaker wars will heat up on Super Bowl weekend, when Under Armour begins challenging Nike with its first line of running shoes.
The footwear goes on sale Saturday, Jan. 31, amid a focus on sports that peaks with the game Sunday.
Best known for tight-fitting performance wear, Under Armour will take on Nike and Michael Jordan in basketball shoes, CEO Kevin Plank says. Eventually, it also will offer soccer boots and tennis sneakers and become, Plank predicts, the world's "next great athletic brand."
Plank, 36, says Under Armour, not Nike, is the hot brand among high school, college and pro athletes. The 13-year-old company defied Wall Street predictions by revitalizing cross-training shoes and rolling out football and baseball cleats.
"We're the athletic brand of this generation," Plank says. "The 15-year-old kid of today is not growing up and saying, 'Golly Jeez, I really want a pair of that brand with the orange box.' They're growing up and saying, 'I want a pair of Under Armours.' "
Bring it on, Nike spokesman Derek Kent replies. The Swoosh "connects deeply with today's youth," he says. As for Under Armour, he says, "We thrive on competition."
Plank could back up his "fighting words" in the USA but will be hard-pressed overseas, says Bob McGee of Sporting Goods Intelligence. Nike has $18 billion in annual revenue, Under Armour a projected $765 million.
Under Armour will offer a total of six running shoe models at suggested retail prices of $85-$120. There will be four road shoes: the Revenant ($119.99); Apparition ($109.99); Illusion ($94.99); and Spectre ($89.99). There will be two trail shoes: the Mirage ($94.99); and Chimera ($84.99).
Starting Jan. 1, New York Giants star running back Brandon Jacobs and U.S. women's national soccer team defender Heather Mitts will headline what Under Armour vice president Steve Battista says is the company's biggest marketing campaign.

Q & A: Attracting a new generation

Kevin Plank has gone from University of Maryland walk-on fullback to founder and CEO of Under Armour, which made its name withperformance undergarments. USA TODAY's Michael McCarthy spoke with Plank, 36, about taking on Nike in running shoes and, eventually, basketball shoes.

Why launch a running shoe?
"It began in 2006 with the launch of our football cleats. We didn't get into the footwear business just to build football cleats as muchas we built football cleats to put us in the position to enter additional categories of footwear.
"We knew all along our goal was to be a global performance brand. In order to do that we needed to outfit athletes head-to-toe."
Are basketball shoes next?
"The next chapter in the book is absolutely basketball. We've signed some basketball assets (including college outfitting deals withMaryland, Auburn, Texas Tech and South Florida).
"We're going to be in the basketball business some day. … Our goal is the ability to outfit a major-college program. I'm talking about the OhioStates of the world, with 43 sports."
What is your first-year sales goal for running shoes?
"Our training-(shoe) launch was about a million pairs. … We've said (running shoes) are going to be much larger than our training-shoelaunch."
Why should consumers buy these shoes?
"For the same principles that make our apparel unique. Lightweight, breathability, moisture management … things like our FootSleeve, whichgives you this compression feeling.
You practically don't need a sock when you wear the shoe because of the way the thing hugs against your foot.
The wind literally blows through your shoe. It's as light and cool and comfortable as it gets from a running standpoint."
How do you make loyal runners change brands?
"When I grew up, I was an Asics Kayano guy. I loved that shoe. … That's what we hear from most people: 'I'm a loyalist. I buy thesame shoe every time.' … We think we can be relevant to them.
"The thing that makes us exciting to the Foot Lockers, Sports Authoritys and %*$+'s Sporting Goods of the world is we have the ability to bring a newconsumer to this market. We have the ability to introduce new consumers to, frankly, a new brand. That's the way we're positioned.
"With 15-, 16-, 17-, 18-year-old kids, boys and girls, we're frankly becoming the brand of their generation."
So, you're taking the Pepsi approach as the "choice of a new generation"?
"It worked for them, didn't it?"
Is it a mistake to launch a new product during a recession?
"Absolutely not. In our office, we frankly don't let people talk about the economy.
We still believe investing right now is absolutely the right thing to do. You'll see us driving forward.
We're not huddling up. We affectionately call any talk about the economy 'loser talk.' "
Is Under Armour the next Nike?"I believe Nike's a great company.
What they've done is amazing. However, at the same time, I don't believe that Under Armour, in order to be the best, has to necessarily be the biggest.
"We believe we're the next great athletic brand. When you give the consumer a choice, apples to apples and one to one, they're choosing our brand.
"The fact is we got in cleats, we got in training shoes, we're getting in running shoes, we're going to get in basketball shoes, we're goingto be in tennis shoes, we're going to make soccer boots.
"We believe absolutely we can be the next comprehensive athletic brand."

They're having an event to debut these things today, so expect a lot more in the way of photos/details on these.

I actually really like these designs...I just think the UA logo looks tacky on the shoes. If these had a swoosh, or even nothing at all, I think I wouldprefer these over a lot of other shoes on the market. The performance remains to be seen.

I think these look pretty good. I really like the "cartilage" cushioning concept as well. Thanks for the info, Ryan!

My IMMEDIATE thought was they looked like a Brooks Adrenaline x Mizuno hybrid. Those yellow ones look legit.

Back
Top Bottom