Under Armour- The New Prototype

blco02

Banned
Has anyone been following this story? Basically, UA will unveil it's first Super Bowl ad today as a part of it's marketing campaign for the newprototype shoes. They are 3 cross training shoes, UA's first non-cleated shoes. They've been advertising all over the internet with sneak peak ads. This is a huge deal for UA to try and expand their marketshare, and is a big risk for them financially- just google it to see how many business articled havebeen written on the subject. UA is heavily going after Nike with this series of shoes.

Nike will supposedly be coming out with a line to go up against the new prototypes.

Apparently you'll be able to pre order the shoes later today on the UA site.

saw the ad, im not really feeling the shoes but the gear is always
pimp.gif

yeah, i expected a lot better than these, but under armour =
pimp.gif

The first 3 pictured are dope.

Would have been better w/o the logo on the side though.

The Proto Evade reminds me of the Air Trainer 2, and the Proto Speeds remind me of the Shox Turbo V.

Not a bad first effort, though.

They need something like a secondary logo. The UA is fine, it will just never be able to be a real design element. It will always look like just a logo slappedon there.

We have these rolling in in March/April. I didn't see a sample, but anything UA around here gets snatched up with the quickness.

The difference between UA and Eastbay's pics can make a sneaker stay on the shelf.

Eastbay makes any sneaker look horrible.

hopefully they dont have the same issues with these as they did with the cleats...when the cleats came out almost one out of every two pairs we sold where iwas working at the time came back because the outsole separated from the shoe.

Im not a big UA fan though, their stuff is awesome but the quality and durability suck...every shirt i had started to come apart after a few washes or gotlittle pulls all over the shirt and the compression shorts i had ripped because they thinned out. i have nike performance shirts and compression shorts that ibought before all of the UA stuff and its still just fine.

finishline.com also has these for preorder.

bottom line for me is, I TRAIN for speed, lateral quickness, and jumping. Do I take all three to the gym and basically start back from where we were in 1986?Not to praise Tinker Hatfield and Nike too much but they had it down perfectly almost 22 years ago. ONE SHOE that does it all.

Maybe i'm confused by their terminlogy as peformance "training" and infact, they have produced a shoe for basketball (the power model withjumping in mind), running ( the speed model for linear path training) and lateral training ( the evade) and not really a "CROSS TRAINING" shoe likei've heard prior.

That review posted was rather worthless...
laugh.gif
the writer didn't have any real knowledge about footwear or componentry...

Not to mention:
Ultimately, I ended up with Adidas (ADSG.DE) Sambas for cross-training treadmill work, weightlifting, elliptical work, exercise biking, etc. For basketball, I wear Converse high-tops.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Both choices are hilarious.

I'm excited for what UA will be bringing to the table. The team in store for Hoops is also extremely skilled and familiar to the industry having worked atanother company prior to UA and finding much success there. They're really going to surprise some people.

My only suggestions have gotta be to find a secondary logo like lotomybeats mentioned...which I know their lead designers are already working on. Another thingis I'm not too fond of the Impax look. If it works that's one thing, but hopefully they don't go that route in Hoops.

i think that they are just using the word "trainer" as a substitute for sneaker. one definitely resembles a basketball shoe, another a cross trainer,and the third looks like a running shoe.

the one that looks like a running shoe has far too much mesh to provide enough lateral stability to be considered a training shoe. and why would under armourmake one pair mids and the other two low top if all three do the same thing?

Back
Top Bottom