University of Houston - Main Campus Students, I need help!

So I applied for the University of Houston - Main Campus for Fall 2009. I've already been accepted and applied for my FAFSA. So now I'm just waiting toenroll in my classes and what not.

I recently got a letter of UofH saying that Freshman Orientation is mandatory now, but before I can register for the orientation I have to take a MathPlacement Exam first.

This is a very complicating process and I have no idea what to do. I went to the website to try to register for the Math Placement Exam (THEA) and after Iapplied for an account, it doesn't work when I tried to log in. The website was www.usd.uh.edu.usdforms/placrit.htm

Can anyone help me? I'm confused.
frown.gif

I do not go to the U of H but I think I can help you out with this one...

Call the Office of the Registrar and ask them to walk you through the steps of taking the Math Placement Exam...tell them you are having problems with logginginto their system I guarantee they will help you

The Office of Registrar from U of H?

Also, since the letter states "You are required to take the Math Placement exam before you can register for orientation - so the sooner the better",does it mean I only take the Math Placement exam portion or I take the entire thing? It's called the THEA correct?

smh.gif
All this college crap is killing me.

You will only have to take the math portion, almost positive about that since thats all the letter states. Yeah, the Registrar's office at UH should beable to lend some assistance with your issue.

Hmm, is there a particular reason why I'm taking the Math portion only? Also, these test determines what kind of Math classes I'll be in right?

I'll call UH tomorrow after I get out of school, hopefully they pick up because everytime I've tried before they never do.

^^^You probably are only required to take the Math portion because you did well on the reading portion of the SAT/ACT. And yes, the test should determine whatMath you are placed in. The Math you are required to take depends on your major.

ucasta - Thanks alot brah, that cleared A LOT of things up.
smile.gif
Yeah, Math is my worst subject. I'm not sure what kind of Math I'm required to take, butI'm majoring in Computer Science to become a Radiologic Technician.

Does anyone know about this test? Is it online? How long?

this should help
http://www.thea.nesinc.com/TA10_overview.asphttp://www.thea.nesinc.com/TA10_overview.asp

[table][tr][td]Mathematics
[/td] [td]Consists of approximately 50 multiple-choice questions covering four general areas: fundamental mathematics, algebra, geometry, and problem solving.

The test questions focus on a student's ability to perform mathematical operations and solve problems. Appropriate formulas will be provided to help students perform some of the calculations required by the test questions. Note that you may use a four-function (+, -, ×, ÷) nonprogrammable calculator (with square root [√ ] and percent [%] keys).[/td] [/tr][/table]

Even if you don't do so well on this test, check to see if you can take it again to improve your score. It may not be the best idea to be stuck indevelopmental Math classes that:
1) cost money (just as much as a regular class)
2) may put you behind schedule (as far as graduation date)
3) prevent you from taking certain major courses (these math courses may be prerequisites)
4) don't transfer if you ever go to another school
5) are just a drag to be in

Good luck in your endeavors and an early congrats for completing HS. High school is dope but college life is the best. Believe me.

Damn, all those things make me scared of failing this test. Math is my WORST subject, I hate it so much.
laugh.gif

Thanks bro, but there's only about 4 months left and I'm already missing it.
frown.gif

I don't really want to go to college, but I gotta do what I gotta do.

You should be alright, I just wanted you to be informed. As a former university advisor, I had many students who did not realize what classes they weretaking and for what reason. Hit me up if you have any additional questions.

Alright, I just PM'ed you. I have alot of questions if you don't mind, 'preciate it brah!

I'm a freshman at UH and they dont make you take the THEA.......they have their own math placement test on a site called CASA (you should be able to findit by goin to UH's site and typing in CASA in the search) you have to register for an acct on there and afterwards after you log in they should have a linkthat leads you to the 4 diff tests i think to see which math class you qualify to take.

And dont worry if you fail the test....they'll only put you in developmental math for a semester.....its SUPER easy!!!

If im wrong or if you need more help just PM me.

^ Thanks alot homie! Do you go to the Main Campus also?

Yeah I made some calls earlier and they told me to go to the CASA website and I'll be able to register online. Which test do I take between the 4?

Yeah I go to the Main campus currently......u can take all 4 of them if u want but u have to make a 60 or better i believe on 1310 to get into college algebraand not take the developmental math but if you score high on one of the others your eligible to register for a higher level math

Did you take all 4?
laugh.gif
I'm not trying to take all 4, because I hate Math with a passion.

Also, which one is the easiest? And is there any material provided for me to study for this test?

they give you a practice test for each test.....i took 3 of them......and FAILED all of them.....bcuz i didnt think it was serious!!! LOL!!!! But 1310 shouldbe the easiest.

So you have a choice of taking all 4 of them or not? I might end up taking 2 or 3 of them, hopefully I pass that 1310 pretty good.
smile.gif

Well I got an email from them and I'm not gonna be able to register for the test or the Orientation until April 2009 since I'm an incoming freshman forthe 2009 Fall Semester.

Also, do you know alot of stuff about FAFSA?

I've already filled out my application, but I still need to go back and edit it with my parent's tax information. I'm still waiting on it, becausemy dad's a self employee and it takes a while to come in.

Oh and when I'm done editing it, how am I supposed to hear from them? Will they send me a letter telling me how much I'm recieving? And whether it be agrant, loan, or etc?

I dont really know too much about fafsa.

I dont exactly remember if they'll send you a letter saying they recieved it....but i do know that wen they determine your award they'll send you anemail telling you to check your peoplesoft to see how much you have recieved.

Do you have your peoplesoft number yet?

Oh alright, I'll let you and ucasta know if I have anymore questions. College is a B and I haven't even started.
smh.gif

Well now I'm just waiting on my parents' tax return so I can edit my FAFSA and finally submit it in.

Then waiting until April 2009 so I can register for this Math Placement Exam and then register for my Freshman Orientation and finally register for classes.

Also, one more question, what's your schedule like for the week?

Is it possible for me to take 2 classes on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and another 2 classes on Tuesday and Thursday? Or is that a bad idea, I want to try totake what's best for me. For example, not too much work and not too little.

Actually thats sort of my schedule. I have 2 classes every day Mon-Thur and on Friday 1 class. So yeah its possible. Most people here tend to try to stay awayfrom Friday classes because they want a 3day weekend though.

Back
Top Bottom