Vince Staples...

Wasnt impressed after my first listen. I think Vince is one of the best young rappers out but still has yet to make a project that I really f with. Oh well, he still kills all of his guest verses on other people's tracks tho *shrugs*

And btw, dude sure seems to love house music a lot for someone who claims he doesn't party :lol:

Last edited:
Gave it a spin while cruising last night. Wasn't impressed but giving it another spin now.

Respect the fact he sticks with that gritty/grunge production but sounds like he tried to crossover. Don't remember hearing an undeniable banger. Rain Come Down is in constant rotation though.

Last edited:
I got put on to Vince Staples back when OF started to take off....so like 2011-ish and I instantly became a fan.

After skimming through this album...this is NOT the Vince I remember. The skill is there...but the sound isn't him. This sounds like a very contrived "major label" release. 

I got put on to Vince Staples back when OF started to take off....so like 2011-ish and I instantly became a fan.

After skimming through this album...this is NOT the Vince I remember. The skill is there...but the sound isn't him. This sounds like a very contrived "major label" release. 

But if you noticed hes been jumping on tracks with this kinda production & doing tracks with artists who arent hip hop like Gorillaz, Flume, GTA etc.

Hes transitioned into this sound honestly. Been following dude since his verse on Epar off Earls mixtape but he hasnt done a project with just straight rapping since like Shyne Coldchain 2 & Hell Can Wait. Even Summertime 06 had some different sounding ish.

From what i remember reading he took less money on his Def Jam deal to get more control over his music. This dont sound like a full crossover attempt to me cuz i cant see any of these tracks on the radio like that

I wish he rapped more on this but i def like this album for what he did with it.

Also heres the feature & production credits for @STR8DROP and anyone else interested...
1. Crabs in the Bucket (feat. Bon Iver & Kilo Kish) [prod. Zack Sekoff]
2. Big Fish (feat. Juicy J) [prod. Christian Rich]
3. Alyssa Interlude [prod. Zack Sekoff]
4. Love Can Be (feat. Damon Albarn, Kilo Kish & Alonzo Mathis) [prod. GTA]
5. 745 [prod. Jimmy Edgar]
6. Ramona Park is Yankee Stadium
7. Yeah Right (feat. Kendrick Lamar) [prod. Sophie & Flume]
8. Homage (feat. Kilo Kish & Rick Ross) [prod. G5 Kid Murph & Zack Sekoff] (could just be Hold Me Back sample)
9. Samo (feat. A$AP Rocky) [prod. Sophie]
10. Party People [prod. Zack Sekoff]
11. Bagbak [prod. Ray Brady]
12. Rain Come Down (feat. Ty Dolla Sign) [prod. Zack Sekoff]

Different sound for Staples but I like it. I can definitely see a lot of folks not messing with it.

I think the electronic production works well for him and his delivery is still sharp. Gonna play this more over the weekend while :smokin.

Gave it a listen. Overall I'm not really high on this project at the moment but that could obviously change. Wondering why he needed to put an interlude in after basically the intro and 1 full song? This made the album feel very slow initially. Like dat dude chris dat dude chris mentioned, he's kind of transitioned into this sound more or less so I wasn't too surprised with the beats and production plus he does mess with flume heavy. One of my favorite traits about Vince is his storytelling, and I feel like that is lacking on this album(or maybe i need to listen more).

Ran it once and really enjoyed it. I usually don't like when rap and dance music mix but he does a good job of pulling it off.

I'm glad there's a lot of Kilo Kish on here. I love her.

He definitely changed the sound. And I can't say I pay a great deal of attention to him when he's not in album cycle, so I didn't expect that. But I'm not mad at it. It's good...he's still rapping at a high level.

I don't like it as much Summer '06, but it's straight.

And I do think he slowed the album down with that interlude on purpose, too. It's a 36 minute album—makes sense he would do that. These songs are pretty short. But hearing him explain how he views albums and the whole business, on Everyday Struggle, makes sense.

Last edited:
I **** with this album heavy b. Love when artist take musical risks and it pays off. Simpletons gonna say it's trash cause of the electronic/indie feel.

pimp.gif
Samo

The production on this joint is straight amazing. Too early to call but I can see this getting as much rotation as I've been giving Damn and 2 Chainz new joint.

man I been playing Big Fish on a loop lately, the flow and the fluidity is something else, especially the 2nd verse

FM! is real solid
The power 106 involvement and Earl/Tyga throw interludes were cool too

I liked Vince Staples on the Black Panther soundtrack so decided to give FM! a spin..this album is crazy :pimp:

I liked Vince Staples on the Black Panther soundtrack so decided to give FM! a spin..this album is crazy :pimp:
you should def check out Big Fish Theory if you liked him on Black Panther
it's more of that afro-futuristic sound like BP

Back
Top Bottom