Wade Fly vs. Lebron 8 v3... who wins?

I have been in the market for a zoom/max combo shoe (I'm currently playing in the Melo M7). The wade and lebron shoes are the best 2 shoes with this tech out right now. But the question is which shoe wins. I play the 2 and 3 spot if that helps.
Has anyone played, or tried on, in both?

I have been in the market for a zoom/max combo shoe (I'm currently playing in the Melo M7). The wade and lebron shoes are the best 2 shoes with this tech out right now. But the question is which shoe wins. I play the 2 and 3 spot if that helps.
Has anyone played, or tried on, in both?

I tried on both pairs. I own the V3.

The Fly Wade feel like they have lower profile then the V3 but forefoot Zoom actually feels plusher and bigger than the forefoot Zoom in the V3.  The V3 have better feeling heel cushioning, its plush like the full length Air Max Lebron V1 and V2. The Lebron V3 also feel firmer because it has a Carbon Fiber shank plate as opposed to the Fly Wades  TPU midfoot shank.  The V3 feels like it has better lockdown  then Fly Wade when its tied tight.

I tried on both pairs. I own the V3.

The Fly Wade feel like they have lower profile then the V3 but forefoot Zoom actually feels plusher and bigger than the forefoot Zoom in the V3.  The V3 have better feeling heel cushioning, its plush like the full length Air Max Lebron V1 and V2. The Lebron V3 also feel firmer because it has a Carbon Fiber shank plate as opposed to the Fly Wades  TPU midfoot shank.  The V3 feels like it has better lockdown  then Fly Wade when its tied tight.

^^^ Please, sir, be so kind as to enlightne us with the reasoning for you jacked up ranking system, if that is what it is.

^^^ Please, sir, be so kind as to enlightne us with the reasoning for you jacked up ranking system, if that is what it is.

Originally Posted by Tryle4STars

WADE Fly (1/10) , LEBRON 8 v3 (8/10)

I dont understand why people are hating on the Fly Wades so hard. They are basically the same type of shoe as the Lebron 8 V3. I think its just that alot Jordan Brand fans are stuck in the past even more than Nike fans.

Originally Posted by Tryle4STars

WADE Fly (1/10) , LEBRON 8 v3 (8/10)

I dont understand why people are hating on the Fly Wades so hard. They are basically the same type of shoe as the Lebron 8 V3. I think its just that alot Jordan Brand fans are stuck in the past even more than Nike fans.

Tried on both over the weekend. Initially went in to HOH North Riverside in Illinois to just confirm my decision to try on the Fly Wades. I think they look amazing and plus Duke's review of them was very favorable. Tried on my regular size which is a 10.5. I had to go down to a 10 which was perfect. Traction from what I felt walking around and digging my shoes into the hardwood of the store was great. No squeak action, but I could tell that I'd have no issues with slipping. The fit was really comfortable and the inners of the shoe were really smooth. After walking around for just a couple minutes I noticed creasing at the first lace hole. I guess that area doesn't have as much give to it as far as flexibility. Cushioning was a plus and the shoe had great court feel.

Tried on both over the weekend. Initially went in to HOH North Riverside in Illinois to just confirm my decision to try on the Fly Wades. I think they look amazing and plus Duke's review of them was very favorable. Tried on my regular size which is a 10.5. I had to go down to a 10 which was perfect. Traction from what I felt walking around and digging my shoes into the hardwood of the store was great. No squeak action, but I could tell that I'd have no issues with slipping. The fit was really comfortable and the inners of the shoe were really smooth. After walking around for just a couple minutes I noticed creasing at the first lace hole. I guess that area doesn't have as much give to it as far as flexibility. Cushioning was a plus and the shoe had great court feel.

I then tried on the Lebron 8 v3s just to see how they measured up. I went bananas! The only other shoes I went that crazy over after just an initial wear were the Lebron 6's, Kobe 4's and Jordan 2011s. Those three are in my top 5 performing shoes of all time. Perfect one to one fit and I didn't have to go a half size down like the Fly Wades. The zoom air in the forefoot felt almost as good as the Explosive cushioning that the Jordan 2011s had. I have a high arch so that carbon fiber shank plate was perfect and the fuse material fit like a glove around my foot. I knew right away I had to have them. Traction didn't seem as good as the Fly Wade's, but I have to play in them both to come to a final decision. Remember, these are my impressions from just walking in these shoes for just a couple minutes and not from an actual test run. Hope this helps.

I then tried on the Lebron 8 v3s just to see how they measured up. I went bananas! The only other shoes I went that crazy over after just an initial wear were the Lebron 6's, Kobe 4's and Jordan 2011s. Those three are in my top 5 performing shoes of all time. Perfect one to one fit and I didn't have to go a half size down like the Fly Wades. The zoom air in the forefoot felt almost as good as the Explosive cushioning that the Jordan 2011s had. I have a high arch so that carbon fiber shank plate was perfect and the fuse material fit like a glove around my foot. I knew right away I had to have them. Traction didn't seem as good as the Fly Wade's, but I have to play in them both to come to a final decision. Remember, these are my impressions from just walking in these shoes for just a couple minutes and not from an actual test run. Hope this helps.

i actually had to go down half a size in the lebron 8 ps because the padding was so minimal and it felt too loose. I'll report back after a few games.

i actually had to go down half a size in the lebron 8 ps because the padding was so minimal and it felt too loose. I'll report back after a few games.

I own both and have played in both.

Here's how I see they compare.

• Fit and sizing - Both are true to size and fit nicely around my foot. The Lebrons feel a little more plush due to the spongy hyperfuse upper. The Wades are more minimalistic feeling.
  • Comfort - Both have initial comfort problems that go away after a 30-60 min break in period. The top of the tongue on the Lebrons chaffed my shins initially. The problem was solved by making sure I tied the shoes snug all the way up and then just playing through the discomfort for about 30 minutes. After that the tongue softened up a bit and flexed away from my shin. The Wades had uncomfortable flexing/folding at the first eyelet. I just laced the shoes up snug and started playing. Luckily the upper softened up a bit and the discomfort went away. After the initial issues with both shoes, the overall comfort is very good - they definitely feel different in a good way.
  • Weight - Wades are little lighter. Not a huge difference for me when playing in them.
  • Cushioning - Both have nice overall cushioning. Both shoes have very good, large forefoot zoom with the Wades feeling a little springier. The heel air in the Lebrons is definitely bigger and more plush feeling. The Wades heel air is on the firm side and takes more breaking in. What's better comes down to how you play and what you need. The Wades offer a firmer, more responsive ride while the Lebrons are a little softer and feel like the cushioning is deeper. Both set ups work for me, but I find myself wanting something in between the two shoes - I want the Wade forefoot zoom but want a heel set up a little bigger and softer then Wades but not quite so big and soft as the Lebrons. 
  • Ventilation - Both are good to very good.
  • Traction - Both are very good on the well maintained indoor courts I play on. Wades seem a tad better.
  • Stability and courtfeel - Wades are lower to the ground and definitely have much better courtfeel as a result. Courtfeel is fine in the Lebrons. I'd say Wades have great courtfeel and the Lebrons have good courtfeel. Stability seems a bit better in the Wades because of the lower stance. Stability is very good in the Lebrons, which is a pleasant surprise considering how high off the ground they are.
  • Overall playing impressions - Both shoes are good basketball shoes and I've played very well in both shoes. Wades have all the elements to make it a great basketball shoe. I really like the weight, fit, and forefoot zoom, but I find myself thinking too much about the shoes when I play in them. For some strange reason the Wades just feel a little out of sync with my body. Maybe this will get better over time. The Lebrons feel more natural on my foot and I find myself not thinking about them at all. The shoes feel a little squishier so reaction times on quick moves seem a tad slower. The cushioning setup is very nice for days when I want play very physically. I think the Wades are very good shoe for guys who play the 1 and 2 while the Lebrons are very good for guys who play the 3 and 4. I play the 2 and 3, so both shoes work for me. Which shoe do I ultimately prefer? The Lebrons so far. I'm thinking the Wades may get better with more break in time and I might feel more in sync with them. Only time will tell.
That's it for now. Let me know if you have any questions.

I own both and have played in both.

Here's how I see they compare.

• Fit and sizing - Both are true to size and fit nicely around my foot. The Lebrons feel a little more plush due to the spongy hyperfuse upper. The Wades are more minimalistic feeling.
  • Comfort - Both have initial comfort problems that go away after a 30-60 min break in period. The top of the tongue on the Lebrons chaffed my shins initially. The problem was solved by making sure I tied the shoes snug all the way up and then just playing through the discomfort for about 30 minutes. After that the tongue softened up a bit and flexed away from my shin. The Wades had uncomfortable flexing/folding at the first eyelet. I just laced the shoes up snug and started playing. Luckily the upper softened up a bit and the discomfort went away. After the initial issues with both shoes, the overall comfort is very good - they definitely feel different in a good way.
  • Weight - Wades are little lighter. Not a huge difference for me when playing in them.
  • Cushioning - Both have nice overall cushioning. Both shoes have very good, large forefoot zoom with the Wades feeling a little springier. The heel air in the Lebrons is definitely bigger and more plush feeling. The Wades heel air is on the firm side and takes more breaking in. What's better comes down to how you play and what you need. The Wades offer a firmer, more responsive ride while the Lebrons are a little softer and feel like the cushioning is deeper. Both set ups work for me, but I find myself wanting something in between the two shoes - I want the Wade forefoot zoom but want a heel set up a little bigger and softer then Wades but not quite so big and soft as the Lebrons. 
  • Ventilation - Both are good to very good.
  • Traction - Both are very good on the well maintained indoor courts I play on. Wades seem a tad better.
  • Stability and courtfeel - Wades are lower to the ground and definitely have much better courtfeel as a result. Courtfeel is fine in the Lebrons. I'd say Wades have great courtfeel and the Lebrons have good courtfeel. Stability seems a bit better in the Wades because of the lower stance. Stability is very good in the Lebrons, which is a pleasant surprise considering how high off the ground they are.
  • Overall playing impressions - Both shoes are good basketball shoes and I've played very well in both shoes. Wades have all the elements to make it a great basketball shoe. I really like the weight, fit, and forefoot zoom, but I find myself thinking too much about the shoes when I play in them. For some strange reason the Wades just feel a little out of sync with my body. Maybe this will get better over time. The Lebrons feel more natural on my foot and I find myself not thinking about them at all. The shoes feel a little squishier so reaction times on quick moves seem a tad slower. The cushioning setup is very nice for days when I want play very physically. I think the Wades are very good shoe for guys who play the 1 and 2 while the Lebrons are very good for guys who play the 3 and 4. I play the 2 and 3, so both shoes work for me. Which shoe do I ultimately prefer? The Lebrons so far. I'm thinking the Wades may get better with more break in time and I might feel more in sync with them. Only time will tell.
That's it for now. Let me know if you have any questions.

Back
Top Bottom