Want to know something cool? Theres going to be a nationwide EAS Test on all TVs in at 2pm E.T.

sillyputty

Banned
My cousin works for comcast and just told me...
Lets just say that the government is getting close to instituting a nation-wide information system in case some seriousness goes down. 

Let the conspiracies begin... 
laugh.gif
nerd.gif

But in all seriousness this is just the same test that happens late night on TV or Radio when they test the little emergency screens, but this time its coordinated all over the country.

Reports I read said they won't touch internet or cell phone, but in an emergency they WILL. 

http://www.fcc.gov/encycl...t-system-nationwide-test

[h1]Emergency Alert System Nationwide Test[/h1]
2011NationwideTest.jpg

Click to enter the Nationwide EAS Test Reporting System

Click to download the Nationwide EAS Test Handbook

Questions or Comments about the Nationwide EAS Test?

EAS Participant Resources

At the Federal Communications Commission's June 9, 2011 Agenda meeting, Public Safety and Homeland Security Bureau Chief Jamie Barnett, joined by representatives from FEMA and the National Weather Service, announced that the first nationwide test of the Emergency Alert System (EAS) would take place at 2:00 PM (Eastern Standard Time) on November 9, 2011. The purpose of the test is to assess the reliability and effectiveness of the EAS as a public alert mechanism. EAS Participants currently participate in state-level monthly tests and local-level weekly tests, but no top-down review of the entire system has ever been undertaken. The Commission, along with the Federal Emergency Management Agency, will use the results of this nationwide test to assess the reliability and effectiveness of the EAS as a public alert mechanism, and will work together with EAS stakeholders to make improvements to the system as appropriate.
 [h3]Public Service Announcements[/h3] [h3]Other Nationwide EAS Test Releases[/h3]

• Public Notice Reminding Media Outlets and EAS Participants That Broadcast of EAS Tones and Attention Signals is Prohibited Except During Authorized EAS Activations, Including Tests: Word | Acrobat | Plain Text

• Public Notice Announcing the First EAS Nationwide Test: Word | Acrobat

• FCC Third Report and Order, Part 11 Rules Governing the Emergency Alert System (Amended Feburary 2011): Word | Acrobat

• PSHSB Chief Jamie Barnett's Comments on the Need for a Nationwide Test:Blog Post

• Nationwide EAS Test Frequently Asked Questions (as below): Word |  Acrobat
 [h3]FEMA Resources[/h3]

• Nationwide EAS Test Information and FAQs: Link

• EAS Discussion Forum: Link
 [h3]Frequently Asked Questions Regarding the First Nationwide EAS Test[/h3]
What is the EAS?

Main Article: Emergency Alert System (EAS)

The Emergency Alert System (EAS) is a media communications-based alerting system that is designed to transmit emergency alerts and warnings to the American public at the national, state and local levels. The EAS has been in existence since 1994, and its precursor, the Emergency Broadcast System (EBS), began in 1963. Television and radio broadcasters, satellite radio and satellite television providers, as well as cable television and wireline video providers all participate in the system (collectively, EAS Participants). EAS Participants broadcast thousands of alerts and warnings to the American public each year regarding weather threats, child abductions, and many other types of emergencies. As such, the EAS will continue to function as one key component of a national alert and warning system that will provide alerts over multiple communications platforms, including mobile communications devices.

How does the EAS work?

An EAS alert is based on an audio protocol defined in the FCC’s rules. In the EAS, an alert originator at the local, state, or national level inputs an EAS alert into the system using specific encoding equipment. Specially designated stations then broadcast this alert to the public in their listening areas. Other EAS Participants (television and other radio broadcasters, cable and wireline video service providers, radio and television satellite service providers, and others) monitor the specially-designated stations for EAS alerts. When these other EAS Participants receive the EAS alert, they, in turn, broadcast it to the public in their listening areas. This group of EAS Participants may be monitored by other EAS Participants too far away to receive the EAS message from the first group of transmitting broadcasters. This next group of EAS Participants, in turn, broadcasts the alert to the public in the vicinity of their stations, as well as to any other stations that may be monitoring them.

When is the EAS used? When would a national EAS alert be sent?

The EAS alerting architecture is frequently used by state and local emergency managers to send alerts to the public about emergencies and weather events. While the requirements for carrying a national-level EAS alert differ in some respects from state and local alerts, the national EAS test will test the underlying architecture that also supports state and local alerting. Ensuring that the EAS architecture functions properly will benefit emergency alerting at all levels of government.

The EAS provides the ability to send messages regionally or nationally, though it has never been activated at these levels. But a major disaster like an earthquake or tsunami could necessitate the use of the EAS on a regional or national basis to send life-saving information to the public. We cannot anticipate which communications infrastructure will withstand a particular disaster, but the EAS is one of the tools we have to send alerts, warnings, and information to the American people. The national EAS test will help us improve its capabilities should it ever be needed at the regional or national level in an actual emergency.

Why do we need a nationwide test of the EAS?

Pursuant to the FCC’s rules, local and state components of the EAS are tested on a weekly and monthly basis, respectively. Although the EAS has been in existence for over 15 years, there has never been an end-to-end, nationwide test of the system, and we need to know that the system will work as intended should public safety officials ever need to send an alert or warning to a large region of the United States. Only a top-down, simultaneous test of all components of the EAS can provide an appropriate diagnosis of system-wide performance.

How will the nationwide EAS test be conducted?

The nationwide EAS test will be conducted jointly by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) through its Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s (NOAA) National Weather Service (NWS), the three federal agencies that have EAS management responsibilities. FEMA is the arm of the DHS primarily responsible for developing national alert and warning functions. The FCC is an independent agency that grants licenses to or otherwise oversees EAS Participants. FCC rules regulate the transmission of EAS alerts. The NWS is a key player in the dissemination of local warnings via the EAS. The great majority of EAS alerts are NWS weather-related alerts.

On November 9, at 2 PM EST, FEMA will transmit the EAS code for national level emergencies to Primary Entry Point (PEP) stations in the national level of the EAS. The PEP stations will then rebroadcast the alert to the general public in their broadcast vicinity, as well as to the next level of EAS Participants monitoring them. This should continue through all levels of the system, until the national alert has been distributed throughout the entire country.

Pursuant to the FCC’s rules, all EAS Participants must report back to the FCC on the results of this test, including whether, and from whom, they received the alert message and whether they rebroadcast it. FEMA and the FCC will study these results to determine if there are problems with the system and, if so, how best to remedy them. We anticipate that a nationwide test will be conducted periodically to ensure that the EAS is, and remains, functional.

FEMA and the FCC have already twice tested the EAS national code on a more limited basis, in the state of Alaska. The lessons learned from the Alaska tests will inform how the agencies conduct the nationwide test.

What will people hear and see during the test?

Although the Nationwide EAS Test may resemble the periodic, monthly EAS tests that most Americans are already familiar with, there will be some differences in what viewers will see and hear, which is one reason for conducting a nationwide EAS test. Although the activation will include an audio message indicating that this is a test, a visual message indicating that “this is a test

Originally Posted by megatron

I hate these things, when are they ever used? smh

Wait till China invades and then ask that. 
grin.gif
 ...also do you never hear/see them during thunderstorms or bad weather?
Look into something called "Rex 84" and report back to me your findings. I'm dead serious. 

Originally Posted by sillyputty

Lets just say that the government is getting close to instituting a nation-wide information system in case some seriousness goes down. 

laugh.gif
nerd.gif

But in all seriousness this is just the same test that happens late night on TV or Radio when they test the little emergency screens, but this time its coordinated all over the country.

Reports I read said they won't touch internet or cell phone, but in an emergency they WILL. 

Yeah man.. They passed something recently that allows them to shut down the web and all kinds of networks if it's a "threat to national security."

Originally Posted by ATLien Seeko

Originally Posted by sillyputty

laugh.gif
nerd.gif

Yeah man.. They passed something recently that allows them to shut down the web and all kinds of networks if it's a "threat to national security."
U.S. Patriots Act

sillyputty be making me feel like a communist sometimes
30t6p3b.gif
laugh.gif

i can't even express how shiddy things REALLY could get with that REX 84 bull@#$%
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by RetroSan

30t6p3b.gif
laugh.gif

i can't even express how shiddy things REALLY could get with that REX 84 bull@#$%
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Ignorance really is bliss, isn't it? 
Its funny because all of this is in the public domain, but people just choose to ignore it. Now take all the stuff that widely searchable...and imagine all the classified stuff. 

tumblr_lpqcnfNjd11qabfx1o1_400.gif

The EAS Tests use to have me shook when I was younger watching t.v. at night by myself 
30t6p3b.gif

I just peeped some info on REX84 and I find it crazy how a lot of the events are interrelated to each other dealing with both the past and present. I am also looking at the Los Zetas v. Anonymous thread and some of the same info is in there but these are events that are seemingly unrelated in many ways. The masses are about to be shaken by the amount of private info being found by those who thrive on being in the know. Thank you for the info to all who have contributed.

Originally Posted by RetroSan

30t6p3b.gif
laugh.gif

30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Google HR 4079 and read more. Then Google Project Sign
nerd.gif

http://gizmodo.com/585789...-without-social-networks

This Is Not a Test: The Emergency Alert System Is Worthless Without Social Networks
You probably won't hear or see today's test of the Emergency Alert System. That's a problem. Unless you happen to be watching TV or listening to the radio at 2pm EST, it'll pass you by altogether. It's a wasted opportunity. But it doesn't have to be.
When I was a kid, the Emergency Broadcast System was the alert that interrupted my cartoons or warned my family of potential flash flooding. The system made sense back then; we all had either the TV or radio on during our waking hours. The irritating honking would sound and we'd rush to see if it was only a test or something more sinister. It was the 90s. It worked.

But now I'm not watching TV very much, and when I do I'm watching something I DVR'd last week. Sorry, Armageddon, I'm catching up on Breaking Bad. If the alert interrupts any DVR action—as it's supposed to—that's just an excuse to take a bathroom break. And I'm almost certainly not watching TV during the great 2PM EST mid-afternoon scheduling wasteland.

The radio? I stopped listening to that train wreck eight years ago. More to the point, I can't remember the last time I went into a business tuned into KROC. I haven't turned to AM/FM in an office job since forever. It's all streaming and iPods now (thank goodness).

Which means that today's test, the first of its kind to be a fully coordinated nationwide effort, is a eunuch. At 2pm EST most of us will be at work, without access to radio or TV. What we will be checking constantly? The internet. Facebook, Twitter, Google. Which is why if this system is going to have any teeth, the FCC needs to implement a system that alerts the nation via their social networks.

Think of any major news of the last few months: Bin Laden dead, New York earthquake, Steve Jobs passing. You didn't hear about it on the evening news; you saw it on your news feed. A 140-character announcement that shows up in everyone's timeline all at once has more power than five minutes of horn blaring on the radio. And why stop there? If AT&T can continue to send me text alerts about deals that I'll never participate in, why not have the carriers send out messages of impending doom. You're the FCC, you have the authority to make this happen. Do it.

What company wouldn't want to participate in this? If a Facebook said that they didn't want to participate in a system that could save lives, there's a good chance that they'd do a total reversal and issue an apology within a day. You know why? Because we'll all have a fit on our social media platforms of choice.

And it's not like the FCC isn't aware that social media is a powerful tool; they just don't have a plan in place at the moment to take advantage of it. Although if and when they do incorporate Twitter, Facebook, et al won't be part of it the EAS:

Various elements of the EAS are hardened to withstand [major disasters]. Moreover... almost everyone has access to a radio (for example, in a car or via a battery-powered handheld device) and/or a television receiver. While our ultimate goal is to have an integrated public alert and warning system that will use multiple communications technologies, the EAS will serve as a primary method for transmitting national emergency alerts and warnings for the foreseeable future.

I'm not advocating that the FCC stop using TV and radio to alert citizens that something horrible has, or is about to happen. What I am asking for is that a president with a Twitter account address how the Federal Communications Commission is actually communicating if and when the +$!$ really hits the fan.

Contact the FCC and ask them to update the Emergency Alert System so it's in line with how we communicate. Better yet, tweet at them.

They're calling the test a failure.

http://mediadecoder.blogs...-a-test-but-what-a-test/

http://mediadecoder.blogs...-a-test-but-what-a-test/

November 9, 2011, 1:16 PM[h1]It Was Only a Test, but What a Test[/h1]ByBRIAN STELTER
3:00 p.m. | UpdatedAt 2 p.m. Eastern time on Wednesday, all television channels and radio stations in the United States were supposed to be interrupted by a brief test of the nation’s Emergency Alert System. But, like most tests, some passed and some failed.

Beginning at 2:01 p.m., viewers and listeners in many states said they saw and heard the alerts at the scheduled time, but others said they did not. There was no immediate explanation for the discrepancies, but that was one of the purposes of the test — to find out how well the system would work in an actual emergency.

Certainly, viewers and listeners have grown accustomed to hearing the tones and reminders — “this is just a test†— when the systems are activated locally each week by broadcasters. But government officials said the national system had never been tested before as a whole, nor had it ever been used in an emergency, allowing the president to address the public.

Many of the reported failures affected cable and satellite television subscribers, and some were quite head-scratching: Some DirecTV subscribers said their TV sets played the Lady Gaga song “Paparazzi†when the test was underway. Some Time Warner Cable subscribers in New York said the test never appeared on screen.Some Comcast subscribers in northern Virginia said their TV sets were switched overto QVCbeforethe alert was shown.

In some cases the test messages were delayed, perhaps because they were designed to trickle down from one place to many. A viewer in Minneapolis said he saw the messageabout three minutes late.A viewer in Chattanooga, Tenn.,saidshe saw it about 10 minutes late.

In Greensboro, N.C., a local reporter saw the alert on all the cable news channelsbut on none of the local broadcast networks.In Los Angeles, some cable customers said the alertlasted foralmost half an hour.

Many other viewers and listeners reported that the alert arrived right on time at 2 p.m. Eastern. It halted digital video recorder playback insomehouseholdsand surprised radio listeners in their cars.

The Federal Communications Commission and the Federal Emergency Management Agency were the two federal agencies in charge of the test.

“We always knew that there would probably be some things that didn’t work, and some things that did,†a FEMA official said an hour after the test. The official spoke on the condition of anonymity because the agencies had not publicly acknowledged the glitches yet.

In a statement around 2:40 p.m., the agencies said they were collecting data about the results of the test.

“This initial test was the first time we have tested the reach and scope of this technology and additional improvements that should be made to the system as we move forward,†the statement read. “Only through comprehensively testing, analyzing, and improving these technologies can we ensure an effective and reliable national emergency alert and warning system.â€

The agencies said they looked forward to working with media companies to “improve this current technology and build a robust, resilient, and fully accessible next generation alerting system that can provide timely and accurate alerts to the American people.â€

In advance of the test, officials said they expected it to last about 30 seconds as it digitally rippled across the country. Government agencies and media companies have sought to spread the word about the test so that it does not sneak up on, and potentially scare, the public.

Michael Powell, the head of the Cable and Telecommunications Trade Association,wrote on Twitter,“No one wants a ‘War of the Worlds’ sequel!â€

During the test, the on-screen text set up by the government read, “This is an Emergency Action Notification.†It did not specify that the notification was only a test because officials wanted the test to duplicate actual alert conditions “as closely as possible,†according to an F.C.C. planning document. But voiceovers and other on-screen graphics indicated that there was no need for alarm.

Satellite distributors like DirecTV and cable distributors like Comcast participated along with over-the-air stations. Internet connections were not included in the test, which raised the question among some critics about how comprehensive an alert system would be if it didn’t take into account the way people increasingly watch and listen to the media.

Notifications about the test were hard to miss ahead of time — though some people surely were surprised by it anyway. Public service announcements and graphics ran on local stations, messages appeared on cable customer bills and Web sites and news segments informed people about the plan.

What is now called the emergency alert system was first authorized in 1951 by President Harry S. Truman. It was first intended to inform Americans about an impending nuclear attack and was called CONELRAD, short for “Control of Electromagnetic Radiation.†The system was superseded by the emergency broadcast system, which was used primarily for local weather alerts and was replaced by the current emergency alert system in 1997.

The current system has never been turned on nationwide. After the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, President George W. Bush addressed the nation through the major television networks without activating the emergency alert system. The networks were able to transmit Mr. Bush’s statements live on their own.

Back
Top Bottom