Wasn't New York City More Grimey In The 80s & 90s In Constrast To Now

You don't even read what you post. Half of the time it goes against what you are even arguing. Just because you don't own a car doesn't mean the rest of the world is following your footsteps. Keep in mind that is only a SMALL group leaving behind cars. So small that the majority don't give a damn.
roll.gif
laugh.gif

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/30/sunday-review/the-end-of-car-culture.html?pagewanted=all

PRESIDENT OBAMA’S ambitious goals to curb the United States’ greenhouse gas emissions, unveiled last week, will get a fortuitous assist from an incipient shift in American behavior: recent studies suggest that Americans are buying fewer cars, driving less and getting fewer licenses as each year goes by.
30car-ch-articleInline.jpg

[h1]Young Americans ditch the car[/h1]
By Steve Hargreaves   @hargreavesCNN September 17, 2012: 11:30 AM ET

120917122943-car-dealership-lot-monster.jpg

NEW YORK (CNNMoney)
[h2]America's young people just aren't buying cars like they used to.[/h2]
The share of new cars purchased by those aged 18-34 dropped 30% in the last five years, according to the car shopping web site Edmunds.com.

Some say the economy is mostly to blame -- that the young aren't buying because they've been particularly hard hit by the recession.

But others say the trend could be part of larger social shifts.

One reason is demographic: The re-urbanization of America is giving more people access to public transportation. The advent of Zipcar (ZIP) and other car-on-demand businesses is eliminating the need to own and insure an expensive vehicle that often isn't driven much.

But mostly it's the explosion of social media. Car ownership just may not be as socially important as it used to be.

"What we used to do in cars, young people are now doing online," said one analyst at a recent oil conference.

The ability to meet and interact with people on the Internet is largely replacing the need to hop in a car and cruise down the strip.

Couple that with more recent restrictions on driving -- later ages for licenses, limits on how many people can be in the car, restrictions on cell phone use -- and the Internet may be surpassing the automobile in the category that gave cars so much appeal: freedom.

"When I got into a vehicle, it represented me going to meet my friends," said Craig Giffi, automotive practice leader at the consultancy Deloitte. "For them, it cuts them off from their friends."

This is particularly true for the youngest, most digitally-connected members of Generation Y. Forty-six percent of 18-24 year-olds would choose Internet access over owning a car, according to a recent Deloitte study.

Related: America's best-loved cars

It's a trend the car companies are noticing as well.

"With this generation, what owning a car means is completely different from previous generations," said Annalisa Bluhm, a spokeswoman for General Motors. "It was a rite of passage. Now the right of passage is a cell phone."

With the Baby Boomers, Bluhm said three-quarters had obtained early life's five big rites of passage by the time they were 30 -- buying a car, graduating from college, getting married, buying a house and having kids. Now less than 40% of the under-30 crowd has all these things.

What's more, 30% of Baby Boomers considered themselves "car enthusiasts," said Bluhm, buying showcase vehicles like the Camaro, Corvette or Jeep. Less than 15% of Gen-Yers say the same, and they're flocking to more practical models.

"They have a number of things that validate them," Bluhm said. "The car is not their first purchase."

The real question for carmakers is whether young people will return to the showroom when the economy recovers. Many say they will.

"This is purely a matter of economics," said Michelle Krebs, an analyst at Edmunds.com.

Krebs said the drop in sales share by young people is misleading, as more of them are buying used cars or simply living at home longer and using their parents' vehicles. When the economy improves, they will be back en masse.

"We don't all live in urban areas and can get by without a car," she said.

Gen-Y'ers: Delaying adulthood

Analysts at Ford (F, Fortune 500) seem to think so too.

Young people may defer buying cars until the economy improves or they may live out their 20s in urban areas, but at some point they will have families, move to the suburbs and need vehicles, said Erich Merkle, Ford's U.S. sales analyst.

"They might be able to hold off for a period of time," said Merkle. "But Ford takes the long-term view -- They are going to be around for a long time and they are going to purchase many, many new cars."

But as Deloitte's Giffi said, the longer these young people go without cars, the easier time they have adjusting to life without one.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/09/17/news/economy/young-buying-cars/index.html
[h1]Generation Y And Consumerism: Waning Interest In Car Ownership A Sign Of A Deeper Shift[/h1]
Posted: 01/18/2013 5:09 am EST

r-GENERATION-Y-CONSUMERISM-CAR-OWNERSHIP-large570.jpg

Get Canada Business Newsletters:
Subscribe

Follow:

Asking Y, Gen Y Canada Car Ownership, Generation Y Attitudes, Generation Y Car Ownership, Millennial Generation Consumerism, Millennials Car Ownership, Asking Y, Car Ownership Youth, Gen y Ownership, Generation y Canada, Asking Y, Millennials Consumerism, Millennials Ownership, Canada Business News

Zofia Koch doesn’t own a car, and she doesn’t seem to miss it.

“The last time I was excited about a car was high school,” the 26-year-old event co-ordinator said by phone from her apartment in downtown Toronto, adding that these days a car seems like more of an “added expense” than anything to get excited about.

“Owning a car is just another debt you’re carrying with you,” she said.

Like many in her generation — now commonly referred to as Generation Y or the Millennial Generation – Koch eschews owning a vehicle, at least for now.

But the phenomenon isn’t limited to the car. As the millennial cohort ages and moves into the workforce, observers are seeing a trend away from the splashy, unbridled consumerism of earlier eras, towards a new kind of thinking about ownership, one that affects everything from how we get around, to when we buy homes, right down to why people buy things at all.

In the new world of consumerism, it won’t be so much about “owning stuff” as it will be about improving one’s quality of life.

And if that means not buying a car, so be it.

“If I wanted to, I could totally afford a car,” said Josh Shier, a 22-year-old freelance stylist and writer living in Barrie, Ont., who never got a driver’s licence and cites environmental degradation and the conflicts surrounding oil as among the main reasons for his stand.

“But I’d rather be one of the Greyhound bus’s biggest customers.”

Shier says he is put off by the car industry’s “induced obsolescence” of cars that results in new models every year.

Koch sees things differently. It’s not that she doesn’t want one – she is eyeing buying a car as she and her husband contemplate a move out of the city – it’s just that the growing availability of other options, combined with the larger debt burdens young people are carrying today, makes it less of a necessity and more of a burden. Koch cites insurance payments, parking costs and gas among the many expenses that turned her off car ownership.

Technological changes are reducing the demand for private cars, according to a recent report from venture capital firm Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, as cited at The Globe and Mail.

The report cites Zipcar and other car-sharing services as being behind some of that waning interest in car purchases, at least in urban areas, along with bike-sharing services and the recent and sudden explosion of taxi-hailing apps.

The effects are noticeable. In the U.S., the proportion of 17-year-olds with drivers’ licences fell to 45 per cent in 2010, down from more than two-thirds in 1978.

Similar trends are in place in Canada, Australia, Europe and Japan,” the Globe reports.

And she adds one other thing. In earlier generations, Koch says, “the novelty of being able to own something was greater than it is now.”

With that, Koch touches on a major underlying trend that is only beginning to emerge among today’s youth. It’s what Josh Allan Dykstra, founder of the consulting firm Strength Doctors, recently described in an article as “the death of ownership.”

The human race is undergoing an “evolution of consciousness,” and our ideas of what it means to “own” something are rapidly changing, Dykstra says.

“I don’t think people will stop owning things,” Dykstra said recently in an interview with The Huffington Post Canada. “But I think the way we do ownership is going to change. It’s going to be more about what we do with that thing [than simply owning it].”

Echoing Koch’s sentiment, Dykstra says ownership has become so commonplace – “It’s almost like we’ve commoditized ownership itself” – that it’s beginning to lose meaning. People simply aren’t as excited about owning things as they used to be.

In Koch’s view, our credit culture is responsible for this; we can buy what we want on our credit cards, so there is little of the waiting, planning and anticipation that used to make buying things so exciting.

In Dykstra’s view, it is all tied in to the rapid technological changes today.

“Growing up, I used to feel like I needed to hold on to things,” he said. “I need to keep this special comic book or whatever because it’s the only one that I’ll ever see. But now, if I want anything, I can just go online and find it. … The whole notion of what I need to hold on to, and what I can find in three seconds on Google –- this makes things completely different.”

Dykstra says the focus of consumers is shifting from ownership to access. While we used to buy records and record players, we now buy smartphones that allow us to play music. The phone is still “owned,” of course, but ownership of the phone is not the goal – it’s what that phone allows to us access that matters.

“It’s really just become more about how the things we own connect us to the stuff that matters to us,” he said.

Cars are not immune to this philosophy. After all, it’s where the car takes us that matters, not the car itself. And if you can get there without a car – or if, thanks to online shopping, you don’t need to go there in the first place – then the car becomes less important.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/01/18/generation-y-consumerism-ownership_n_2500697.html

so who else wanna be wrong?
laugh.gif

Having a car is a scam and useless now?...is this real life?...

Lettuce be cereal, the majority of drivers are not trying to live passed their means riding around in da Hemi at over 40k...a lot of people are more than content with a base model Corolla if that...as long as you can easily afford the monthly payments/insurance you are stupid to think a car doesn't facilitate your life.

Lettuce be cereal, the majority of drivers are not trying to live passed their means riding around in da Hemi at over 40k...a lot of people are more than content with a base model Corolla if that...as long as you can easily afford the monthly payments/insurance you are stupid to think a car doesn't facilitate your life.
are you not reading da articles? da overwhelming trend with da demographic of 18-35 year olds (millennials) is ditching car ownership overall and riding mass transit in cities they are

flocking to...go look it up yourself...people who are my age into cars arent what they were..and even admittedly i dont even need a car when i plan to buy one.

Well then I'm stupid cause I've been driving for 10 years and I'm sick of it.

I'm also not the best driver, so what works for me prod doesn't work for a lot of people.

I've totaled 4 cars and had to replace them. They weren't whips but they weren't hoopties either.

I've had my license suspended and revoked a bunch of times.

I've gotten mad tickets and just forgot to pay them or go to court until there was a warrant for my arrest.

Driven around for up to a year without a license.

My insurance is so much higher than the average person's.

Me, personally, I know that I'm not responsible enough to own a car. Too much involved.

For me, personally, it's a big enough hassle to help shape the lifestyle I want to live.

You guys heard about the landlord of a building downtown near Chelsea Piers letting low income people in there but making them go through a different entrance than the people who pay their rent in full?

Haha! How did I miss another installment of the Ninjahood Chronicles?

Always amusing to see ninja try to place himself in the "go getter", "trending", etc. categories. Dude goes ham on Google trying justify himself as being part of a niche group while, literally, having nothing to his name aside from old shoes. It would make sense if you're fresh out of high school or college with actual debt (OR just young in general), but you're either no longer a Gen 'Y'er or at the end of the spectrum. What were you exactly doing from 18 to 30? Your driving certification could have been achieved by anyone with a license, yes? You were 'awarded' this at 30? A little late to the party aren't we?

I don't think anyone's disputing the benefits of public transportation. However, it's pretty clear that you're generalizing a whole group implying each person has the same mindset. My cousin is a CPA in Manhattan. He uses your exact transit system. Just because he walks into the same subway station as you, it doesn't necessarily mean you guys have the same financial options. He can CHOOSE to buy a vehicle while you HAVE to replenish your MetroCard...

Just looks like you got sold on a dream with a 'splash' of denial. Sounds nice...

That wasn't near Chelsea Piers it was on the Upper West Side, but there are a number of developers building separate entrances for those who live in units that aren't full priced. Its not like these people are paying Section 8 prices. They are dropping close to 1500 a month. Its not only discriminatory, it pits the classes against one another. Pretty damn disgusting to me. All because they aren't dropping a mil plus on a unit.

^ 500 West 30th Street? There are several other sites being built along the avenue in Chelsea. Will be done within two years but you can apply for a spot now assuming the deadlines did not already end. I applied you should too. Very limited though, good luck.

Millennials dont own cars, flock

To cities em mass, abandoning

suburbs fueling gentrification.

This isnt sone "niche" its da

prevailing seismic shift.

& for da record, you gotta be 21+

Years old to qualify for hazmat CDL

Sniper. You sure love being wrong

:lol: da millennial

Generation is 18-35 years old.

Da data supporting my claims is so

Insurmountable haters got nothing

Else to do but do blame source..

So da NY times, CNN, and Huffington

Post wrong eh? Even fox news confirm

This trend, so its not some kind of

Partyline talking point by liberals

Or conservatives.

Knowledge is power #factsonly

Ninjahood what's with the #factsonly campaign? Is hash tagging another millennial trend?

Ninja, you know those groups of young professionals flocking to the large metropolis where driving wouldn't be very convenient is still a MINORITY bro, do you have ANY idea how many young and old professionals/families are still very much chasing the American dream of a house with a white picket fence?..live outside of the major city and move around in the comfort of their car and traffic free highways to their upscale malls with indoor parking?...NOT everyone is trying to chase this new dream you are supposedly living....not everyone wants to live in the middle of the action...I for one love to have the option of going into the action and at the end recruit back to my calm suburbs with assigned parking space....

Honestly what is this pride people have in bad neighborhoods?...I wish my beloved BX wasn't half the dump it is.....wish some of that Brooklyn Gentrification would somehow reach my borough.....dudes taking pride in the ghetto make no sense...nothing to be proud of bros...lol

nah thats real talk right there. but you gotta spread that blame to the music. how many times you hear a rapper who made it from the hood, glorify their ****** project housing?

"yea i rep east new york, where Ns get clapped yo. i stay with hammer, and run these streets, word to Rico"

or some rap lyric. (i made that up, don't judge me NT). i hear this all the time. hardly any artist convey more of a story, not so much as glorify. thats y i always mess with nas.

I've argued this before, but I'm generally speaking for myself, a married man ready to start a family, I find absolutely nothing cool about raising kids in the city...yeah it's fun as a single individual living life or even as a couple just enjoying each other, but as married couple ready to settle into their 30's I just can't picture wanting to still be dealing with the hustle of such a big city and everything that comes with it.

nah thats real talk right there. but you gotta spread that blame to the music. how many times you hear a rapper who made it from the hood, glorify their ****** project housing?

"yea i rep east new york, where Ns get clapped yo. i stay with hammer, and run these streets, word to Rico"

or some rap lyric. (i made that up, don't judge me NT). i hear this all the time. hardly any artist convey more of a story, not so much as glorify. thats y i always mess with nas.

Meanwhile Jay lounging in his mansion in Greenwhich CT...where did 50 move to soon as he got that money...GREENWHICH CT...dudes flocked faster than you can blink to an OLD MONEY suburbian town...lol

That wasn't near Chelsea Piers it was on the Upper West Side, but there are a number of developers building separate entrances for those who live in units that aren't full priced. Its not like these people are paying Section 8 prices. They are dropping close to 1500 a month. Its not only discriminatory, it pits the classes against one another. Pretty damn disgusting to me. All because they aren't dropping a mil plus on a unit.

Yeah it goes on in other places too though but that is disgusting and I wonder how he got away with doing that, it's crazy.

people are really just stating their own preferences for how they live/want to live at this point...there is evidence on both sides....for every article someone pulls up, you can find something else...

Last edited:
JPEG,

Link me to where you applied so I can see for myself. I just find it a bit degrading because you aren't seen as good enough or equals.

NVM. Don't need a link. Found it. Wow at the prices of rent. Its not Section 8 but its not as high as some reported either. I can see why developers would be mad but to create a side entrance is still wrong. You can be sure that these units will get the short end of the stick when it comes to repairs and upgrades. It may sound stupid especially when you're trying to save money on housing, but my dignity wouldn't allow me to be treated like a second class citizen.

Ninja, you know those groups of young professionals flocking to the large metropolis where driving wouldn't be very convenient is still a MINORITY bro

Umm its not, da evidence is

overwhelmingly showings that

millennials are abandoning da white

Picket fence car centric suburbs for

A urbanized city life void of car

Or house ownership. Stats have been

Showing da decline of surburb sprawl

For a while now at da same time

cities all across da US are

experiencing BOOMS in population

(Cept for Detroit)

That american dream is dying and its

Been that way doe a hot min...why

ELSE is this thread even relevant?

People are CHOOSING da city over da

Burbs and are threatening da people

Who already occupy these

neighborhoods. Alot of em are also

Walking away from expensive home

ownership & downsizing to APTs &

Condos.

Classic ninjahood post right there. Pyramid quotes, telling people "wrong" or "out da loop", entire articles copy and pasted with one sentence a bigger font size, oversized images. Even the background color was changing. That post truly had it all :lol:

:lol: :lol:

It's like having a discussion with someone and them talking over you or yelling at you to make it seem like their right.

All he knows how to do is google random hit and copy paste, that automatically makes him correct and the expertz.

Pretty much. One of ninjahood's greatest talents is distorting a "conversation" to the point that everyone forgets what the topic at hand actually is...

You don't even read what you post. Half of the time it goes against what you are even arguing. Just because you don't own a car doesn't mean the rest of the world is following your footsteps. Keep in mind that is only a SMALL group leaving behind cars. So small that the majority don't give a damn. Please keep in mind the MAJORITY IS OUTSIDE OF THE MAJOR CITIES. So please defuse yourself with that centrality. Its useless. Just like responding to you.......I'd be better off arguing against dog fart.

I can damn near guarantee you he never read that book he posted about :lol:

I haven't been home to Brooklyn in almost 4 years, but i can only imagine the change. SMH.

Classic ninjahood post right there. Pyramid quotes, telling people "wrong" or "out da loop", entire articles copy and pasted with one sentence a bigger font size, oversized images. Even the background color was changing. That post truly had it all :lol:

:lol: :lol:

It's like having a discussion with someone and them talking over you or yelling at you to make it seem like their right.

All he knows how to do is google random hit and copy paste, that automatically makes him correct and the expertz.

Pretty much. One of ninjahood's greatest talents is distorting a "conversation" to the point that everyone forgets what the topic at hand actually is...

You don't even read what you post. Half of the time it goes against what you are even arguing. Just because you don't own a car doesn't mean the rest of the world is following your footsteps. Keep in mind that is only a SMALL group leaving behind cars. So small that the majority don't give a damn. Please keep in mind the MAJORITY IS OUTSIDE OF THE MAJOR CITIES. So please defuse yourself with that centrality. Its useless. Just like responding to you.......I'd be better off arguing against dog fart.

I can damn near guarantee you he never read that book he posted about :lol:

All this ATTEMPT to discredit rings

Hollow in da face of da facts

presented.

Try again. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom