We Still Believe!!! Team Pilipinas 2009

I think (or rather, hope) that the Smart Gilas' goal of qualifying for London 2012 is just the short-term one. I absolutely believe in this team, seeing ashow a pool of players, playing together for a long time has done wonders in other places. It's not like these bunch of young college/recently graduatedamateur players do not have the talent. Heck, most of them are PBA worthy. However, it has been proven for a long time that the PBA's style of play (andperhaps the style of coaching as well) simply cannot compete with the current crop of international teams.

As I was watching the Smart Gilas team play, you could see the international game right there. Good ball rotation, motion plays with good player movement (withand without the ball), good outside shooting, guards that can penetrate and finish, as well as kick out to fellow guards and bigs that can shoot from theoutside.

I like the idea of this team, because as Trig20 said, it could help change the way the PBA plays the game. Face it guys, almost all of the players in the PBAaren't 6'8"/6'9" guards that are quick and agile, and have 40" verts!!

If we're looking at the long-term development and success of RP basketball, I think this is the way to go.

i agree

some people just are afraid of change
smile.gif

chris tiu said it himself:

http://chris-tiu.blogspot.com/

"I think the result of the game yesterday (for those who didn't watch, Gilas won by 29) just vindicates how important playing a team game is comparedto doing it individually. I will admit that in terms of individual skill/technique, the Gilas players are still lagging behind to equal that of the Poweradeplayers. One on one, i don't think JV Casio/Barocca can match up with Willie Miller. Cawaling, Ababou and I cannot match up one on one with James Yapeither. All the more Ballesteros and Japeth cannot match up with Asi Taulava, Sonny Thoss and Kirby Raymundo. The only reason why we were able to emergevictorious against them yesterday was because of the 'system' of Coach Rajko Toroman. Even defensively, there are strict rules to be followed.Offensively, there's a lot of movement going-on. Lots of screening, cutting and passing, all within the playbook of Coach T. I'm trying not to make ittoo technical for those who don't really follow basketball . But simply put, there's a strict system that we follow which entails a lot of disciplineand paying attention to details. On the other side, Team Powerade had their own sets of plays, which i felt lacked the continuity and mastery. The plays werebroken down and ended in a one on one situation. It's definitely no walk in the park for James Yap / Willie Miller to beat 5 players. At times, it brokedown to a two-man game with ball screens and hand-offs. I think I heard Quinito Henson mention this as well when i watched the replay of the game, team game vsindividual talent."

I'm just very grateful to be given this chance to play under Coach T. What a learning experience!! Like what i said in a previous blog entry, i believe imade the best choice in this decision to play with Smart Gilas under Coach T. I cannot imagine myself playing under another coach or system at this moment. Howi wish that Philippine basketball can evolve and adopt his European style and stop copying the NBA, so that we can be competitive internationally. Look howLebanon, Jordan and Iran (which Coach T led to the Olympics) are now overtaking the old Asian powerhouses like Korea, Philippines, etc. Who would have thoughtthat even China would be blown out by Iran in the Finals game of the FIBA Asia Championships? Sometimes, we just have to lower our pride and egos if wesincerely want to become better. Not necessarily in basketball, but in any facet of our lives. - CHRIS TIU

Sometimes, we just have to lower our pride and egos if we sincerely want to become better. Not necessarily in basketball, butin any facet of our lives. - CHRIS TIU

the last line nailed it..

PBA Sked for Smart-Gilas

Friday October 16, 2009
Araneta Coliseum 2:30 PM
Smart Gilas
vs
Burger King Whoppers

Wednesday October 21, 2009
Cuneta Astrodome 2:30 PM
Smart Gilas
vs
Talk N Text Tropang Texters

Friday October 23, 2009
Ginebra Kings
vs
Smart Gilas

Friday November 6, 2009
Smart Gilas
vs
Coca-Cola Tigers

Chris tiu has everthing, literaly. He doesnt need money kaya hindi nya kailangn pa maging pro.Imo the reason he joined gilas is he truly loves the game and hewants to do his country proud. Kudos to him.

Originally Posted by wytboy55

"I think the result of the game yesterday (for those who didn't watch, Gilas won by 29) just vindicates how important playing a team game is compared to doing it individually. I will admit that in terms of individual skill/technique, the Gilas players are still lagging behind to equal that of the Powerade players. One on one, i don't think JV Casio/Barocca can match up with Willie Miller. Cawaling, Ababou and I cannot match up one on one with James Yap either. All the more Ballesteros and Japeth cannot match up with Asi Taulava, Sonny Thoss and Kirby Raymundo. The only reason why we were able to emerge victorious against them yesterday was because of the 'system' of Coach Rajko Toroman. Even defensively, there are strict rules to be followed. Offensively, there's a lot of movement going-on. Lots of screening, cutting and passing, all within the playbook of Coach T. I'm trying not to make it too technical for those who don't really follow basketball . But simply put, there's a strict system that we follow which entails a lot of discipline and paying attention to details. On the other side, Team Powerade had their own sets of plays, which i felt lacked the continuity and mastery. The plays were broken down and ended in a one on one situation. It's definitely no walk in the park for James Yap / Willie Miller to beat 5 players. At times, it broke down to a two-man game with ball screens and hand-offs. I think I heard Quinito Henson mention this as well when i watched the replay of the game, team game vs individual talent."

I'm just very grateful to be given this chance to play under Coach T. What a learning experience!! Like what i said in a previous blog entry, i believe i made the best choice in this decision to play with Smart Gilas under Coach T. I cannot imagine myself playing under another coach or system at this moment. How i wish that Philippine basketball can evolve and adopt his European style and stop copying the NBA, so that we can be competitive internationally. Look how Lebanon, Jordan and Iran (which Coach T led to the Olympics) are now overtaking the old Asian powerhouses like Korea, Philippines, etc. Who would have thought that even China would be blown out by Iran in the Finals game of the FIBA Asia Championships? Sometimes, we just have to lower our pride and egos if we sincerely want to become better. Not necessarily in basketball, but in any facet of our lives. - CHRIS TIU

True!
smokin.gif

^well said
im gonna watch gilas in the pba, first game is on friday next week against bk

according to beth celis, lito alvarez & ronnie nathanielsz had a breakfast meeting. BK might just opt to trade the
rights of Japeth to TNT. I'm sure kahit walang kontrata na pinipirmahan si Japeth eh inaabutan yun ni MVP.
love for ninoy daw yung kay japeth hindi love for our counrty. ang tanong dyan, how long would Mama Manny support the Gilas experiment? sa bagay daming pera niMama Manny.

Originally Posted by CarlofromdaPI

Originally Posted by wytboy55

"I think the result of the game yesterday (for those who didn't watch, Gilas won by 29) just vindicates how important playing a team game is compared to doing it individually. I will admit that in terms of individual skill/technique, the Gilas players are still lagging behind to equal that of the Powerade players. One on one, i don't think JV Casio/Barocca can match up with Willie Miller. Cawaling, Ababou and I cannot match up one on one with James Yap either. All the more Ballesteros and Japeth cannot match up with Asi Taulava, Sonny Thoss and Kirby Raymundo. The only reason why we were able to emerge victorious against them yesterday was because of the 'system' of Coach Rajko Toroman. Even defensively, there are strict rules to be followed. Offensively, there's a lot of movement going-on. Lots of screening, cutting and passing, all within the playbook of Coach T. I'm trying not to make it too technical for those who don't really follow basketball . But simply put, there's a strict system that we follow which entails a lot of discipline and paying attention to details. On the other side, Team Powerade had their own sets of plays, which i felt lacked the continuity and mastery. The plays were broken down and ended in a one on one situation. It's definitely no walk in the park for James Yap / Willie Miller to beat 5 players. At times, it broke down to a two-man game with ball screens and hand-offs. I think I heard Quinito Henson mention this as well when i watched the replay of the game, team game vs individual talent."

I'm just very grateful to be given this chance to play under Coach T. What a learning experience!! Like what i said in a previous blog entry, i believe i made the best choice in this decision to play with Smart Gilas under Coach T. I cannot imagine myself playing under another coach or system at this moment. How i wish that Philippine basketball can evolve and adopt his European style and stop copying the NBA, so that we can be competitive internationally. Look how Lebanon, Jordan and Iran (which Coach T led to the Olympics) are now overtaking the old Asian powerhouses like Korea, Philippines, etc. Who would have thought that even China would be blown out by Iran in the Finals game of the FIBA Asia Championships? Sometimes, we just have to lower our pride and egos if we sincerely want to become better. Not necessarily in basketball, but in any facet of our lives. - CHRIS TIU

True!
smokin.gif
I think we now have a fighting chance in international competitions since the seed is being planted thru this team as early as now...Hope they goa long way...

Originally Posted by soul228

PBA Sked for Smart-Gilas

Friday October 16, 2009
Araneta Coliseum 2:30 PM
Smart Gilas
vs
Burger King Whoppers

Wednesday October 21, 2009
Smart Gilas
vs
Talk N Text Tropang Texters

Friday October 23, 2009
Ginebra Kings
vs
Smart Gilas

Friday November 6, 2009
Smart Gilas
vs
Coca-Cola Tigers

thanks for sharing their sked.. btw, when they play vs PBA teams, is it using PBA or FIBA rules? and does it count as a win on the standings?
embarassed.gif

^pba rules

the games would be counted only on the part of the pba teams

smart-gilas cant vie for the championship
frown.gif

"While tonight's victory was great, I imagine Smart Gilas would have a tougher time against other PBA teams, whose coaches usually do scouting andcustom preparation for other opponents. Unlike, say, Powerade coach Yeng Guiao, who just goes ahead and coaches with his balls."

-firequinitodotcom

laugh.gif

Rabeh Al-Hussaini just signed a 2 year contract with Smart-Gilas...

smokin.gif
smokin.gif
smokin.gif

What's Up Paul Lee?

makes me want to buy the pilipinas jerseys that have been floating around for so long
laugh.gif

even freddie roach was wearing them

Back
Top Bottom