We Still Believe!!! Team Pilipinas 2009

Well, our team battled as much as we could. But the effort in today's game against Qatar was questionable. I only caught the first half, but it was prettyevident from the body language of most of the players that they just wanted the tournament to end. Wala na din naman magagawa, tournament is over.

For the sake of our country's love for basketball, let's just stop with sending PBA backed teams, practicing when they can, because it doesn't dojustice to the love, dedication and commitment that Filipinos have and continue to give to this sport. We also have to be patient because Smart Gilas won'tbe saviors overnight either. The SBP now realizes what it takes and for as long as politics doesn't find its way back into the sport, then we are on track.I won't go as far as saying that we'll be back in the Olympics by 2012. Baka 2016 pwede pa
happy.gif

Sorry for the OT, China will face Iran in the Finals tomorrow, after they beat Lebanon a few minutes ago.

Our hopes for getting invites to the wildcard tourney evaporated into thin air with our loss to qatar.. I don't think FIBA will invite a 7th placer nomatter how basketball crazed filipinos are..
I think China will win tomorrow, Yi Jianlian is really carrying his team and besides they have homecourt advantage..

[h2]Trouble in paradise?[/h2]
SPORTS FAN

By DING MARCELO

August 12, 2009, 7:42pm

The cozy relationship between the PBA and its mother federation, the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas, appears to have developed a crack. The PBA is one of the SBP's staunchest allies, but two days ago, in the hot and humid cauldron of Tianjin, China, RP team coach Yeng

Guiao fired a salvo somehow directed at the basketball association.

Coach Yeng declared during a media interview that the SBP's developmental team under Serbian coach Rajko Toroman is headed for disaster. Well, not exactly those words but that was the message.

To those who may not know it, two national teams are currently in place - one, an all-PBA squad which is competing in the FIBA-Asia championship in China, the other a cadre of young stars being trained by the SBP whose aim is to earn a slot in the London Olympics in 2012.

Yeng's PBA squad will be in place until the World Basketball Championship in Turkey in 2010, that is if it gains at least third place in the ongoing China tournament.

On the other hand, the SBP's Gilas RP team, funded and supported by SMART money, will prepare for London with stints in Southeast Asia and other tournaments. No PBA player is in this lineup.

Yeng is wondering how a team of collegians with one or two naturalized players can handle big jobs such as the Asian Games and FIBA-Asia which even a veteran squad like the PBA is having a hard time doing in Tianjin.

Many will probably say that Yeng is out of touch and yes, maybe a little selfish.

But Yeng is speaking from experience.

He has seen it with his own eyes. The Tianjin tournament and the Jones Cup have made him realize that Asian basketball is different from the one he used to know, that it is an entirely new ball game. He thinks you can't send raw recruits to these battles, they'll be eaten alive!

SBP supporters disagree. They say that in the early '80s then basketball godfather Danding Cojuangco concocted a scheme that brought in three naturalized players and a foreign coach. The tactic worked and RP briefly ruled Asian basketball. The same playbook has been adopted by the SBP.

Back then, however, the game was different. It's not as popular and as global as it is now. The Middle East countries then were patsies, now, they dominate. They have tall and big players and they have the best coaches oil money can buy. The results are there for everyone to see. Also, China keeps getting better.

With this in mind, Yeng wants the PBA to continue representing the Philippines in future international tournaments. He believes the PBA can do a better job than the SBP team. What is needed, he says, is just having a team that practices during PBA breaks and competes abroad on a regular basis.

"Bakit n'yo ibibigay sa SBP (ang national team) wala namang materyales ang SBP?" And in what appears to be a dig at Serbian coach Rajko Toroman, he says: "It's not about coaching, kahit sino ilagay mo roon mahihirapan. It's about the whole program. Coaching is a minor part of that program."

IMO this is a very very bonehead move for yeng guiao.

the sbp gave them a shot and in turn, guiao should just support the smart gilas team instead of sourgraping.
wala pa siyang napapatunayan tinitira na niya si rajko toroman na nagdala ng iranian team sa olympics.
just look at jordan and other teams who have foreign coaches, maganda ang program kasi hindi napupulitka dahil basketball lang talaga ang focus.
guiao is being selfish, minor lang pala ang coaching para sa kanya so ibig sabihin sinisisi niya players niya, tsk.

what do you guys think?

Originally Posted by manilaboyxix

[h2]Trouble in paradise?[/h2]
SPORTS FAN

By DING MARCELO

August 12, 2009, 7:42pm

The cozy relationship between the PBA and its mother federation, the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas, appears to have developed a crack. The PBA is one of the SBP's staunchest allies, but two days ago, in the hot and humid cauldron of Tianjin, China, RP team coach Yeng

Guiao fired a salvo somehow directed at the basketball association.

Coach Yeng declared during a media interview that the SBP's developmental team under Serbian coach Rajko Toroman is headed for disaster. Well, not exactly those words but that was the message.

To those who may not know it, two national teams are currently in place - one, an all-PBA squad which is competing in the FIBA-Asia championship in China, the other a cadre of young stars being trained by the SBP whose aim is to earn a slot in the London Olympics in 2012.

Yeng's PBA squad will be in place until the World Basketball Championship in Turkey in 2010, that is if it gains at least third place in the ongoing China tournament.

On the other hand, the SBP's Gilas RP team, funded and supported by SMART money, will prepare for London with stints in Southeast Asia and other tournaments. No PBA player is in this lineup.

Yeng is wondering how a team of collegians with one or two naturalized players can handle big jobs such as the Asian Games and FIBA-Asia which even a veteran squad like the PBA is having a hard time doing in Tianjin.

Many will probably say that Yeng is out of touch and yes, maybe a little selfish.

But Yeng is speaking from experience.

He has seen it with his own eyes. The Tianjin tournament and the Jones Cup have made him realize that Asian basketball is different from the one he used to know, that it is an entirely new ball game. He thinks you can't send raw recruits to these battles, they'll be eaten alive!

SBP supporters disagree. They say that in the early '80s then basketball godfather Danding Cojuangco concocted a scheme that brought in three naturalized players and a foreign coach. The tactic worked and RP briefly ruled Asian basketball. The same playbook has been adopted by the SBP.

Back then, however, the game was different. It's not as popular and as global as it is now. The Middle East countries then were patsies, now, they dominate. They have tall and big players and they have the best coaches oil money can buy. The results are there for everyone to see. Also, China keeps getting better.

With this in mind, Yeng wants the PBA to continue representing the Philippines in future international tournaments. He believes the PBA can do a better job than the SBP team. What is needed, he says, is just having a team that practices during PBA breaks and competes abroad on a regular basis.

"Bakit n'yo ibibigay sa SBP (ang national team) wala namang materyales ang SBP?" And in what appears to be a dig at Serbian coach Rajko Toroman, he says: "It's not about coaching, kahit sino ilagay mo roon mahihirapan. It's about the whole program. Coaching is a minor part of that program."
IMO this is a very very bonehead move for yeng guiao.

the sbp gave them a shot and in turn, guiao should just support the smart gilas team instead of sourgraping.
wala pa siyang napapatunayan tinitira na niya si rajko toroman na nagdala ng iranian team sa olympics.
just look at jordan and other teams who have foreign coaches, maganda ang program kasi hindi napupulitka dahil basketball lang talaga ang focus.
guiao is being selfish, minor lang pala ang coaching para sa kanya so ibig sabihin sinisisi niya players niya, tsk.

what do you guys think?

IMO, he should reserve his judgment until after the Smart Gilas team has qualified (or not) for the 2012 Olympics.

First of all, I think it's the PBA style of play that needs to be changed. We have a style that is completely different from the international game, and asproven by our standing in the current FIBA Asia tournament, it just cannot compete. Reliance on one-on-one plays and individual talent simply cannot compare tohow the other countries play (see China, Iran, Lebanon, Jordan...they play as one team).
Suffice it to say that they lack international exposure. Maybe they should just completely change PBA rules to the FIBA rules if we want to be "used"to it...but there is still that problem of international exposure.

Second, and in relation to the first one, I think it's actually good that these guys are playing with each other, as a team, for over 4 years prior to theOlympic games. They need to KNOW each other really really well so that in the end, team cohesiveness is there.

Third, their exposure to the international game will only benefit us in the long run. Hasn't it become obvious that just having PBA players practicingtogether during breaks and stuff just DOESN'T CUT IT!!!???

Well Guiao is plain old D$%N Selfish Sourgraping Coach that thinks only filipino should be coaching & playing in the tour & we are still the best inasia. Old tunes my man... That was what happened with the USA team but their organization realize that & tried to adopt international plays for theint'l tours. Even the Greatness of the NBA players had to succumb to defeat to unkown basketball teams of the world. Who are we to tell that preparing forthe future is bad, amateur players will be great with the addition of naturalized big players or even the tall players in visayas or mindanao who will have theheart to play for the country & not the money they were given. We just need good coaches & trainers for these players & make them have a goodchemistry. That's the important thing, chemistry & team play.

The PBA selection is sooo half hearted in playing that you can see them play flat with no aggressiveness except for asi, gabe & a few others but what didguiao do, he bench them on crucial minutes of the game. WE LOST!!! The team is already small & he kept on fielding small players thinking of just scoringthree's & out rebounded by big players of opposing teams.

I hope that yeng would just SHUT UP & SUPPORT the programs of the SBP! They're doing this not for their glory but for the GLORY of the PHILIPPINES!

Somebody tell Yeng that it's not all about talent.. It's team chemistry, and that is one thing the smart gilas team will have come 2011 when they takeover the for the olympic qualifiers.. He should be ashamed of himself, acting like a brat.. Well, its probably yeng's hobby to steal other's position,like what theyre doing in pampanga with gov. Panlilio, he wants sbp to take out toroman?! Jeez.. Get a life yeng..

Sorry guys, Chinese-Taipei just beat Qatar for the 5th place and gain the ticket to go to d wildcard game. CT is no better thn RP this time coz those semi-proSBL players r tired of playing for the national team evry year after the season. from college season to regular SBL season to the playoff thn jones cup untilnow. those guys gt no rest for a year already. maybe a little luck and the wake up of team attitude after lost to RP and China bring up the heat. CT havn'tbeat Korea for 14 years! of course the wildcard game wil be bloody, but i hope the win tonight can bring up the basketball in taiwan since no pro-basketball intaiwan for many years and SBL is losing hope. SBL and PBA r learning from each other in recent years. take jordan as the good example. they was FIBA ranked #68three yrs ago and they r going to turkey next year. now we knw a long-term training program can sure have good results no matter who they r and where theyfrom.

IRAN!!!
pimp.gif
I really admire how they improved andadjusted themselves to the international type of the game. They demolished CHINA with their brilliance on the court. Moving the ball, and moving without theball is their key.

[color= rgb(102, 0, 204)]it's the length of one day.
One Half.
One shot clock.
This number is my promise,
to dominate every moment

24[/color]

let's face it, basketball is a game of height. sa palagay ko we need all the height we could get, even if we naturalized players para lang lumaki ang team.ang hirap kasi sa atin masyadong mapride, masyadong bilib sa homegrown talents eh sino ba nagdodominate kahit sa PBA, di ba mga filams. kung ang nba nganggloglobalization na, tayo pa kaya na obvious na kulang na sa talent at height.

Originally Posted by mccormickz

let's face it, basketball is a game of height. sa palagay ko we need all the height we could get, even if we naturalized players para lang lumaki ang team. ang hirap kasi sa atin masyadong mapride, masyadong bilib sa homegrown talents eh sino ba nagdodominate kahit sa PBA, di ba mga filams. kung ang nba nga nggloglobalization na, tayo pa kaya na obvious na kulang na sa talent at height.
i agree...

Yeng has a good point. i don't even think that most of the players from Smart Gilas can get in to the PBA or even have a long PBA career

Gilas team needs to play in the PBA, they need all the tournament for them to improve.
As of now kulang talaga ng talent/height ang experince yung Gilas team.
Although they have all the time to improve practice is not enough they need international game exposure
iba yung practice sa actual games.

we still have boxing and billiards to look foward to, nice win by donaire and other Filipino boxers yesterday, sucker punch after the bell FTW
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by jason16

we still have boxing and billiards to look foward to, nice win by donaire and other Filipino boxers yesterday, sucker punch after the bell FTW
pimp.gif
donaire
pimp.gif

well the philippine team needs good players also. However, the problem with PBA players, the mother team restricts them on play dates & practice of thenational team... And when they play especially the high paid players, they tend to lax because they might get injured & not play for their ballclubs whichpays them. I admire old timers like patrimonio, paras, pumaren, caidic, samboy, jawo, etc. they are all high paid players but they give all out for theircountry when they play on international games. Although there are some players in this years national team who gave their best sad to say that they don'thave the cohessiveness, chemistry & exposure to play with international teams. Maybe 2011. Good luck smart gilas & sbp!!!

in basketball...they always say it's a game of height.......that is only one of the given.......pero importante parin yung skills and talent.......exceptfor the 6-10 players Dwight Howard and Chris Bosh of the US team, magkakasing laki lang yata halos yung RP team saka US team.......Norwood is as tall asKobe........pero he is nowhere near kobe's game as we all know......the point is, it is no longer the height thing anymore with the RP team........I thinknapag iiwanan na tayo sa skills, talent, team chemistry ng ibang Asian Country. Plus, a good coach is important......I remember Ron Jacobs, when he coached SMBin the PBA, he had only Asaytono as his star player, but he was able to make the team competitive. He had always found a way to outcoached and out smarted theother coaches. Kaya hayun, na protesta sya ng BCAP which was led by Yeng Guiao at that time. Yeng Guiao always believes that only Filipinos can coach in thePhilippines, unless you have a Filipina wife to feed. Kaya tinitira nya ngayon si Rajko Toroman.......

Hmm, I sure hope Nike will still release the red shirt and the red jersey despite the showing of Team Pilipinas in the recently concluded Fiba Asia tournament.Oh and not to mention, those PI Hyperdunks. Store staff have been saying that they will probably release by September. Wonder if there is any significantreason for that
eyes.gif

I dont agree with yeng that the coach is not that important. RP team, even with their lack of height has shown that we are quicker and more athletic than theopponent. Few people can guard the likes of miller, norwood, cyrus one on one. But the difficult thing is how to put them in situations where they can usetheir one on one skills. Thats where the coaching comes in.

As what spoelstra has said, we should focus on our strength and that is speed. Thats why I dont agree on yeng not using Alapag bec he's small. So what ifhe's small, he was the one hitting the outside shots and getting to the foul line consistently in japan. What did the taller helterbrand do? But I likewhat yeng did where we tried to run everytime even on made baskets. Miller, cryus norwood and jared did a good job and also penisi and asi with their outletpass. The other players though were not comfortable with that style. Makes me wonder what if we had guys like kelly, alapag, reyes and dondon on our team.

As what hosengsisiw said, Ron Jacobs outcoached everyone when he was in the pba. He studied the rules on how to "abuse" them. At a period where everyteam scores more than a hundred, he was their forcing teams to score below 60 because he knows he has only 1 scorer. He used the shotclock to the fullest w/callowed smb to control the tempo. He made guys like abuda, mustre, tanquincen look much better than they actually are.

Still, I get the point of Yeng, pba has the best players in the country. IMO, the most ideal scenario is to have pool of 24 with a good mix of top amateurs,guys that have the right skillset for international game, and pba players that can provide experience, and fill specific needs(vet pg, 3pt shooter, big men).And let Toroman handle the team so they wont get stuck on pba's pogi basketball style. Then try to join asian leagues and maybe even against weaker euroteams.

Originally Posted by Trig20

I dont agree with yeng that the coach is not that important. RP team, even with their lack of height has shown that we are quicker and more athletic than the opponent. Few people can guard the likes of miller, norwood, cyrus one on one. But the difficult thing is how to put them in situations where they can use their one on one skills. Thats where the coaching comes in.

As what spoelstra has said, we should focus on our strength and that is speed. Thats why I dont agree on yeng not using Alapag bec he's small. So what if he's small, he was the one hitting the outside shots and getting to the foul line consistently in japan. What did the taller helterbrand do? But I like what yeng did where we tried to run everytime even on made baskets. Miller, cryus norwood and jared did a good job and also penisi and asi with their outlet pass. The other players though were not comfortable with that style. Makes me wonder what if we had guys like kelly, alapag, reyes and dondon on our team.

As what hosengsisiw said, Ron Jacobs outcoached everyone when he was in the pba. He studied the rules on how to "abuse" them. At a period where every team scores more than a hundred, he was their forcing teams to score below 60 because he knows he has only 1 scorer. He used the shotclock to the fullest w/c allowed smb to control the tempo. He made guys like abuda, mustre, tanquincen look much better than they actually are.

Still, I get the point of Yeng, pba has the best players in the country. IMO, the most ideal scenario is to have pool of 24 with a good mix of top amateurs, guys that have the right skillset for international game, and pba players that can provide experience, and fill specific needs(vet pg, 3pt shooter, big men). And let Toroman handle the team so they wont get stuck on pba's pogi basketball style. Then try to join asian leagues and maybe even against weaker euro teams.

Well said!
pimp.gif

if i remember correctly ron jacobs coached smb in the late 90's and yes asaytono was his only scorer, imo asaytono was the last great dominant scorer inthe PBA, he did put up crazy numbers back then.

Back
Top Bottom