Wedding Gifts - How much to give?

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

$200-250 if a couple or bringing a date.
$100-125 if single.
you typically give what the couple pays for your share at the reception. receptions costing approximately $100-125 per person, Dirty is on point. any less and you betta be aware the couple will give u an SMH. 

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Originally Posted by DREdwards

why give anything?? their getting married now their income is combined.. give them a card and be done with it...
You'll learn....

if and when i get married i'm not going to expect ANYONE to give me any handouts... do it on your own..
thats the problem with everyone today.. 

Originally Posted by ksteezy

why give anything?? their getting married now their income is combined.. give them a card and be done with it...

You can't possibly be that cheap, it's gonna cost them at the very least 125$ to even feed your *%*. SMH
oh really $125 for me to eat some finger food... *!%+%

You'll learn....

if and when i get married i'm not going to expect ANYONE to give me any handouts... do it on your own..

Since when is a wedding gift considered a handout? 
laugh.gif
Again...you'll learn. 

You'll learn....

laugh.gif
Again...you'll learn. 
how is it not? you want me to give a friend of mine $500 for getting married?? for what? why?

You're not even going to get married with that mindset so don't even think about how your wedding will go, son.

What if you dont want to give money but they dont have a registry. Any "standard" wedding gifts?

How about a destination wedding and I'm paying 1k for hotel and airfare? How much is fair to give, if at all

[QUOTE name="DoubleJs07"]

[QUOTE name="DREdwards"]

[QUOTE name="DoubleJs07"]

You'll learn....

[/QUOTE]

laugh.gif
Again...you'll learn. [/QUOTE]

how is it not? you want me to give a friend of mine $500 for getting married?? for what? why?

[/quote]

That's the reason I didn't invite certain friends to mine. I paid ~$250 per person for the people at my wedding and I know I can't expect that much in return from everybody, but if we've been to other friends wedding's together and you're asking to "share a card" and throw me $50, F outta here :rolleyes

Last edited:
$150 per head, with a date $300. NY venues are pricey. Have fun.

Yeah, this is basically what i give as well.

More for close family sometimes.

I am in Long Island, NY

I find weddings in NY are a different breed though.

Last edited:
man I got 2 of my close homies from HS getting married, another acquaintance, and my close boys younger sister getting married. all got engaged within the last 6 months. I feel old :smh:

The rule i go by is 100 per person and 200 if i bring a date. You have to take into consideration that the person inviting you to their wedding is paying for you to drink and eat and if you can't afford to give a decent gift then you should just not go to the wedding. I am in the process of planning a destination wedding so im going to avoid all the trouble and expenses of a huge wedding because it can be costly 

Question....

Chick invited me to a wedding...

So I'm her date...

I do not know the lady at all... But she works with her.

What are my obligations in this little predicament....?

Question....

Chick invited me to a wedding...

So I'm her date...

I do not know the lady at all... But she works with her.

What are my obligations in this little predicament....?

Absolutely nothing, as far as I'm concerned. You're in the clear unless you wanna be nice and just ask if she'd like you to chip in. She should 100% decline that offer.

I don't want to turn this into a race thread but, I'm Filipino, we tend to support and help our family and even friends also. It ain't about showing out, We like to give to help. So that being said, for my close friend I personally (I didn't include anyone else on this) gave my friend $200. I gave my cousin $400, and I'm sure when my sister is due up for hers I will hook her up fat. I'm sure when my time comes people will return the favor. You see where it is going.

$200-250 if a couple or bringing a date.

$100-125 if single.

This is the standard for me. I'm paying for what it cost the couple to have me there. If you can afford giving the gift, you should treat your friends to at least $100 single or $200 for a couple.

So much work and $$$ has to be done to get the wedding together. When I did my calcs for my own wedding, I spent about $250 per guest (food, drinks, venue, etc). So $100 per person is a STEAL (as a guest).

Spread the love and return the kind wishes (even if it is monetary).

Never knew this was common, thought buying a gift from the registry was enough.

I usually avoid weddings or I'm a part of them, in which case I do contribute with parts of the party or at least offer. (DJ, Drinks, etc, etc).

Going to pass on a good friends wedding this September, thinking of still sending him $100-150 with the declined RSVP. Wedding is on 9/6 in Vegas, little one is due 9/12, not risking the wife go into labor on the I-15 :smile:lol)

Last wedding i went to i gave 40$ - june 2014

the one before that was 20$ - march 2014

congrats to those homies

A very very close friend of mine is getting married in September, while he's not my best friend I've known him for over 6 years, since 2nd yr of college. My GF and I are both very good friends with the couple and we'll be giving $400 if not more. But no less then $400.

Back
Top Bottom