Weekly Wrestling Thread | Jan 1 - Smackdown - Beat The Clock Challenge - Happy New Year!

Tonight is the last Raw of 2009 and that is a very good thing. 2009 hasn't exactly been a banner year for the WWE. Sheamus may be the WWE Champion, butthings are as stale as ever. Cena, DX, and Orton are still the focal points of the show. Sheamus has been an afterthought since winning the WWE Title makingalmost no impact on Raw. Last week's show was a prime example of everything that is wrong with the WWE. The WWE had a prime opportunity to build thingstowards The Royal Rumble. They had an unheard of 6 weeks until the show. Instead, the past two weeks have been based around silly comedy and meaninglessangles. We are now four weeks out until The Rumble and nothing has been accomplished other than Hornswoggle officially becoming a member of DX. Really, thatis what the entire show was based around last week. There have been a lot of bad Raw's this year, but last week's clearly stands out as the worst tome. Add to the fact that Chris Jericho is no longer on Raw, things just get worse.

However, there is hope.

Next week marks the temporary return of the Monday Night Wars. TNA will be airing a three hour special based around the debut of Hulk Hogan (and they arehoping Ric Flair as well). You can bet that TNA will pull out all the stops next week. I will be the first to admit that I am not a loyal TNA viewer, but Iwill be tuning in next week to see that they can do. This is the most momentum their company has ever had. More than when they signed Christian. More thanwhen they signed Sting. More than when they signed Kurt Angle. It's now or never for the company. Sure, I'm not a Hogan fan or a fan of the NWOreuniting (Scott Hall is returning as well, or at least until he finds the nearest bar), but these are the things TNA needs to draw viewers right now. WCWdidn't become a serious competitor to the WWE until they started plucking major names from the WWE. So if this is what it takes to get the WWE'sattention, I'm all for it.

Let's make it clear, Raw will still crush TNA in the ratings next week (despite Hogan's absurd claims of TNA drawing a 3.0+ rating). That's notthe point. The point is that now there may be actual competition to the WWE, and that is what we the fans so desperately need. We need a legitimatecompetitor to the WWE monopoly so we can tell Vince and his cronies that we're not going to just sit here and take Hornswoggle and Big D*ck Johnson everyweek. Right now, TNA is only scheduled for the January 4th Monday night show, but both Spike and Dixie Carter have said they would be open to permanentlyadding a Monday night show if things work out.

And after the January 4th show, Raw has to go up against a live UFC special on January 11th. That will likely be much more of a challenge than TNA, but Rawwill still likely beat UFC since there aren't any major names fighting that night. And the WWE will probably put up a "Did You Know" bragginghow they beat TNA and UFC. However, it will do one of two things:
1) Wake the WWE up out of this funk and make them start putting out a decent product on Monday nights.
2) The WWE will keep their head up their *** thinking they're invincible, and they will eventually be passed in the ratings.

For the short term, I think option 2 is the more likely scenario, but if things continue to heat up, the WWE will eventually be forced to improve theirproduct.

Like I said, there is hope, and right now, I'm clinging to that hope because my interest in the WWE is at an all-time low.

For tonight, Timbaland hosts Raw. I'm sure there will be some segment with the divas dancing to his music. I'll also assume we will have more DX andHornswoggle crap. We'll just hope it is less than last week. Also announced last week is that Sheamus will defend his WWE Title against John Cena. I'm torn on this one. I don't see the point of taking the title of Sheamus so soon, especially since like I said, he has been basically irrelevant onRaw since winning the title. However, it's John Cena we're talking about, so all bets are off. HOWEVER, and this is a big however... John Cena isscheduled to be at next Monday's Fiesta Bowl. Why? I have no idea. Let's see. The WWE is sending their #1 man in the company to what will be thelowest rated BCS Bowl instead of having him on one of the most important Raw's of the year. It's just baffling. Anyway, it's really hard tofigure that Cena will win the title tonight when he won't be at next week's show.

The only other thing announced for tonight is that Vince McMahon will address the Bret Hart "rumors."

Raw starts in less than two hours.

If there's still no nameplate on the WWE title tonight, then it 100% guarantees it for me that Sheamus is dropping.

Hopefully tonight is decent. But after last week, Raw has nowhere to go but up. I'd love to see Big Show deliver his knockout punch to Hornswoggle'sfat %!! and take him off TV forever.

Nice post.

I'm usually one to give WWE the benefit of the doubt, but this DX/Hornswoggle crap is really getting on my last nerve.

And how are you going to treat one of the biggest upset WWE title victories in history as an afterthought for two weeks in a row?

Only reason I'm tuning in to Raw instead of Impact next week is for Bret Hart.

Boycotting the other thread for this one. I hope Sheamus destroys Cena tonight, dq of course, to explain no Superman next week.

TNA will definitely come out guns blazin' on the 4th...but y'all would be foolish to think they will beat WWE in ratings that day. The best they coulddo is try and prove why they are a better alternative and (hopefully, but I doubt it) Hogan doesn't get in the way too much. Who knows tho', maybe thisis the start where TNA turns for the GOOD and makes the right moves, providing some LEGITIMATE competition Vince hasn't had since WCW. Becausepre-Hogan/Bischoff TNA was certainly not that...
Originally Posted by 4wrestling

John Cena is scheduled to be at next Monday's Fiesta Bowl. Why? I have no idea. Let's see. The WWE is sending their #1 man in the company to what will be the lowest rated BCS Bowl instead of having him on one of the most important Raw's of the year.
He's there to promote Wrestlemania. Fiesta Bowl is in Arizona and so is the upcoming WM. But sending him over there should tell you how theyview TNA as competition...
Originally Posted by 4wrestling

(Scott Hall is returning as well, or at least until he finds the nearest bar)
roll.gif

laugh.gif
See? Competition is GOOD for wrestling. (Even wrestling threads) That was the longest intro I've seen 4W write in weeks months..as a matter of face itmay have been the longest intro written this year.

Originally Posted by CelticsPride34

just a question- are we going to do 2 threads next week?
We have a hard enough time filling up on thread. I will cover both shows in the preview.

Whats up Fellas?

Been a rough year 4W is right. WWE needs to really improve in 2010, 1 thing I suggest is never bring back DX again. Both egos of Triple H and HBK demand toomuch creative control and also their corny segments kill me.

But in all honesty I am looking forward to tonight and next week (RAW that is). Bret Hart has always been my long time favorite wrestler and I really hope theWWE uses him right and also he helps with a Push of the hart dynasty.

What's the matter John? Can't pick up the table?

I thought Cena was going to pull a Flair and jump through the table
laugh.gif

A better idea...Hornswoggle should just leave. The guy does nothing but hog up segments on the show with goofy and childish segments.
smh.gif

Back
Top Bottom