Weird debit card issue

Whenever I go to a restaurant, I almost always double the tax and round to the nearest dollar. Anyways, for the fast few months my card hasn't been getting charged for tip anywhere. I thought it would maybe come off later, but nothing.

Anyone experience anything similar? I use WF still
eyes.gif

I never paid with my debit card at a restaurant until last week.  The tip didn't show up either.  I googled the problem and it said it takes a while.  I checked just now and it shows up.  Call your bank up and ask them.

The bank won't have an answer. It's all in how the restaurant processes their card payments. Most only charge for the meal on the spot and the tips are usually taken care of separately. Ask someone in the restaurant biz and they'd have a better answer for you.

Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

The bank won't have an answer. It's all in how the restaurant processes their card payments. Most only charge for the meal on the spot and the tips are usually taken care of separately. Ask someone in the restaurant biz and they'd have a better answer for you.
This.

It's similar to what gas stations do.  They'll charge somewhere between $50-70 while it's processing and then the correct payment will show up once the transaction has been fully processed.  As long as the amount is right when it hits your statement I wouldn't worry about it.

yo i have noticed this to and it gets taken out at randon *+! times. thats why i always try and tip cash if i can. makes it easier to track my money even if it is only a few dollars

Originally Posted by an dee 51o

Whenever I go to a restaurant, I almost always double the tax and round to the nearest dollar. Anyways, for the fast few months my card hasn't been getting charged for tip anywhere. I thought it would maybe come off later, but nothing.

Anyone experience anything similar? I use WF still
eyes.gif

Hey I know why it does this. I have mines set to do this to.

Its because you have Bank of America probably. But anyway what they do to help you save your money is connect your debit card to your savings.  So what they do say if your purchase is $3.50 they will round it to $4, then they will take the .50 cent and put it in your savings. If you purchase was $10.89 then it will round to $11 and they will put .11 cents in your saving.

Now BOA use to match it cent per cent.  Then they will give you their portion of matching it at the end of like 12 months, So if you saved up like $350 but doing this after 12 months they will deposit $350 into your account to match it.

I loved the ideal and I still use it to this day. You can always stop it if you want to

update: I just notice you said Restaurants only. With what i said above it is with any purchase you make

I have WF as well. It just depends on the restaurant. Some places process it faster than others, but it'll get taken out eventually. Just keep your receipt until it clears through. That's what I do and I haven't had a problem before.

not sure how soon or late you are checking it, but your tip will not show up the first day or probably even the day after you do the charge. When the charge is still pending, processing, on hold (whatever terminology you want to use), the tip isnt there yet. the tip will not show up until the charge posts, which means that they submitted the charge. there are 2 steps for the restaurant to process the charge, first they get an authorization (thats the amount without the tip included), this just puts a hold on the funds on your account. After that, they have to submit the charge so that they actually collect the money, this happens after they got your signed receipt with the tip. Most places submit the charge the following business day, but sometimes it takes a couple days. Also, in most systems, if they dont submit that charge after three days, the hold disappears off of your account, but they can still submit the charge so if that ever happens, dont assume you got a free meal, it will come back on your account. 

Debit card here in Canada is basically cash. Been around for ages.

Whatever you get charged immediately comes out of the account.

Your banks should take a lesson from ones that have been doing it forever.

Originally Posted by GP9Rm4108

Debit card here in Canada is basically cash. Been around for ages.

Whatever you get charged immediately comes out of the account.

Your banks should take a lesson from ones that have been doing it forever.
Knowledge has been dropped.

Debit card with a PIN comes out immediately. Charges without the pin still show up as pending and hold your money right away, but its impossible to know the amount you are tipping prior to getting the tip from you, so that doesnt show up. They still use Visa and Mastercard, etc..., to process pinless transactions in Canada if its that type of debit card, so that process cant be different. The processing has nothing to do with the bank and everything to do with the merchant and whatever logo is on the card you are using. 

Damn so it's been almost a week and the tip for one restaurant hasn't showed up yet. What the hell, bank? Seems like another one of those "hope to make you overdraw" schemes. Local bank we go.

Baha even worse is when you get charged a crazy number at the bar like 50 dollars but it was only 5 dollars.

Damn so it's been almost a week and the tip for one restaurant hasn't showed up yet. What the hell, bank? Seems like another one of those "hope to make you overdraw" schemes. Local bank we go.
your bank has ZERO control over this. It has everything to do with the restaurant.

They will just charge the amount of the bill. The tip sometimes comes from the money that was made from the restaurant for the night it just depends some include it in the bill and some dont

Originally Posted by DaBulls23

your bank has ZERO control over this. It has everything to do with the restaurant.

QFT

Originally Posted by crcballer55

QFT

K, glad that's cleared up. I still don't trust big banks and never will after wasting countless hours fixing problems they created.

Originally Posted by an dee 51o

Originally Posted by crcballer55

QFT
K, glad that's cleared up. I still don't trust big banks and never will after wasting countless hours fixing problems they created.
Luckily I learned that lesson when I was 18 before anything too major could happen.

Back
Top Bottom