WELCOME TO THE MARVEL MULTIVERSE -*RIP STAN LEE & Boseman* - XMEN97 FINALE out now

it is crazy that BP beat Stark for a more technologically advanced way to suit up, helmet tech might even be more advanced than Starlords

apples and oranges imo. stark's suit has way more functions than the panther suit.

trailer was dope but cgi looks bad, just like GOTG2. not too bug of a deal though.

evangeline-lilly-paul-rudd-film-ant-man-sequel-01.jpg

evangeline-lilly-paul-rudd-film-ant-man-sequel-09.jpg

Definitely a level up from the first trailer. They both served their purpose of introducing Wakanda and then showing the tech and action we can expect. Very well done.

With the racial climate that currently exists in this country, I wonder if we’ll see protests of this movie and commentary from the talking heads painting it as anti-white.
youd expect that from a movie like detroit...which was based on true events.
but a comic book movie...idk man

Definitely a level up from the first trailer. They both served their purpose of introducing Wakanda and then showing the tech and action we can expect. Very well done.

With the racial climate that currently exists in this country, I wonder if we’ll see protests of this movie and commentary from the talking heads painting it as anti-white.

There will be an extremely small crowd that shares this idea so yeah.

apples and oranges imo. stark's suit has way more functions than the panther suit.

true but you'd think IM would have thought of getting his helmet similarly

plus his suitcase armor with less bells and whistles could have functioned the same

2gvkn6q.jpg

not to mention he does have the bleeding edge tech in the comics

it is being assumed that he will have it by IW with his new arc reactor

There will be an extremely small crowd that shares this idea so yeah.

Definitely. I remember there was a small boycott StarWars movement because the leads in The Force Awakens.

There's also a lot of people that didn't like Luke Cage because of the "lack of diversity". They didn't like "the shoe being on the other foot".

What they need to understand is pro black / pro ethnicity doesn't = anti-white

Definitely. I remember there was a small boycott StarWars movement because the leads in The Force Awakens.

There's also a lot of people that didn't like Luke Cage because of the "lack of diversity". They didn't like "the shoe being on the other foot".

Same folks who came around when Michael B. Jordan, and Idris were casted.

didnt know there was a small boycott for star wars. whats ironic is that star wars is one of the biggest culture appropriated films of all time so these nerds have no right to talk

“Look, without our stories, without the true nature and reality of who we are as People of Color, nothing about fanboy or fangirl culture would make sense. What I mean by that is: if it wasn’t for race, X-Men doesn’t sense. If it wasn’t for the history of breeding human beings in the New World through chattel slavery, Dune doesn’t make sense. If it wasn’t for the history of colonialism and imperialism, Star Wars doesn’t make sense. If it wasn’t for the extermination of so many Indigenous First Nations, most of what we call science fiction’s contact stories doesn’t make sense. Without us as the secret sauce, none of this works, and it is about time that we understood that we are the Force that holds the Star Wars universe together. We’re the Prime Directive that makes Star Trek possible, yeah. In the Green Lantern Corps, we are the oath. We are all of these things—erased, and yet without us—we are essential.“ — Junot Díaz

Ever since I saw this quote I’ve been thinking about my favorite fantasy franchises like Star Wars, and how they function in entirely white worlds while depending on racial tropes and stereotypes in order to build that world. For example, the Jedi Knights very clearly draw from Buddhist philosophies, and yet they are almost all played by white men. Another striking example though is the costuming of Padme, played by Natalie Portman, in the newer SW movies. For example:

tumblr_inline_mxclyz1zXJ1r5bsdr.jpg

This exquisite and elaborate regalia is based directly off off Mongolian royal attire, pictured below:

tumblr_inline_mxclzzsp4Y1r5bsdr.jpg

I mean they weren’t really trying to be subtle about it. They just assumed, as most white people do, that nobody watching Star Wars would care or know enough about Asian cultures to notice.

Example 2:

tumblr_inline_mxcm1mZl4H1r5bsdr.jpg

This exquisite hairstyle is also borrowed from a POC culture, specifically an Indigenous one.

tumblr_inline_mxcm38yWFD1r5bsdr.jpg

The above image is titled simply "Hopi Girl” and was taken by a white male photographer named Edward S. Curtis who obviously didn’t care to differentiate his subjects with names. The Hopi nation is based in the Southwestern United States.

So why choose attire/ garb from two wholly disparate cultures to dress a white woman/ princess? Well the first answer is that the elaborate beauty of these styles lend themselves well to a fantasy universe. But there’s something else, and that is the white-centrism of fantasy that always assumes and privileges a white gaze. The costume designers were clearly operating from an ethnocentric perspective of “well these are unique and different!” where the difference and uniqueness is racially predicated. These styles are assembled hodge-podge because of the assumption that no one watching Star Wars would know or care.

As the quote by Junot Diaz illustrates, the cultures of people of color are not just varied and beautiful, they are full of stories of devastation, tragedy, survival, heroism and resistance, the type of stories that fantasy is made of. The problem is, we understand fantasy as white and European. White bodies and white-only environments are almost indissolubly coupled with escapism and heroism in our cultural imagination.

This means that stories about and by POC that could get told, are replaced with white narratives instead. Star Wars is one of the biggest fantasy franchise in the West, and it’s representation of POC is appalling. Don’t worry though, because there are plenty of racial caricatures! Like minstrel!JarJar who speaks a butchered form of pidgin, the slave-trading money lender with a “long nose” and the “Tuscan Raiders”.

This is not about whether Lucas intentionally set out to offend POC, his intent means **** when he’s produced a legacy of fantasy film that leaves out the majority of the world.

So next time we watch major fantasy franchises like Star Wars or Harry Potter, we need to ask ourselves: whose being left out? Whose mythologies are affirmed while others are demonized? Whose allowed to exist as full, empathetic human beings, and who gets to be the token, the object, the symbol, the decoration?

true but you'd think IM would have thought of getting his helmet similarly

plus his suitcase armor with less bells and whistles could have functioned the same

2gvkn6q.jpg

not to mention he does have the bleeding edge tech in the comics

it is being assumed that he will have it by IW with his new arc reactor

bleeding edge seemed to be the natural progression of the stark tech after AOU, where he seemingly perfected the mark 42 tech and could command his suit at will or piece by piece

in the bit we see of it in homecoming, seems it's back to that level.. CW stark tech wise just seemed odd

The leads in the new sw are diverse though unless people were protesting the diversity. They got beta finn and I can never remember what oscar isaac is.

The leads in the new sw are diverse though unless people were protesting the diversity. They got beta finn and I can never remember what oscar isaac is.

Yea, they were upset that the leads were female and a black male.

But anyway, I'm really looking forward to what songs show up in this movie. I've mentioned before how MCU films don't really have any hip hop songs. I feel like they had an opportunity to incorporate rappers from Queens (Nas, ATCQ, RunDMC, etc) in SpiderMan, but they probably paid an arm and a leg to license the Ramones

Marvel's INHUMANS: Ratings Plummet Yet Again

The ratings for the series premiere of Inhumans were expected to be low due to poor reviews and negative word of mouth coming out of IMAX screenings but things keep going from bad to worse for the show. After debuting to 3.8 million viewers and a score of 0.9 in the key 18 - 49 demographic, Inhumans dropped during week two by 22% to 2.8 million viewers and a 0.7 score.

Now, things are even worse as this week's instalment - "Make War For...Medusa" - lost another 500,000 viewers for a total of 2.3 million and a 0.6 score.

Trailer was brazy! My birth month :nthat:we getting litty. Ordering my dashiki this week.

Back
Top Bottom