West Coast - Dance Crew Appreciation

If you want to bring it back to the mid 90s and above... I would say some So. Cal high school squads such as:
  • Oxnard - Channel Islands All-Male (established in 1995)
  • San Diego - Mira Mesa All-Male
  • Palos Verdes Peninsula - All-Male
They would compete in dance competitions such as Miss Dance Drill Team USA/Nationals and other various high school competitions that still go on today.

But as for the crews in So Cal...they used to only represent at the Import Showoff Car Show Events in Anaheim/Pomona/Del Mar. The competition now has evolvedand now there are various venues like Body Rock, Battlefest, Fusion, World of Dance, Vibe, etc.

In the early stages of the dance scene, the top crews were always well represented by Filipinos, then later more and more people got involved which has helpedhip-hop dance community grow so much...
For me, being in the dance game all these years, really makes the originators/innovators proud. Its only going to get better from here on out....
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by BayEST

Originally Posted by Hella Fresh007

Originally Posted by BayEST

BAY AREA/SAC

Kaboom Squad
MPM
Chain Reaction
Mindtricks
Fusion (the 1st generation/VALLEJO)
GENERATION 2

those are the only ones that i know.
hella old school.
kaboom squad was probably the best in sac, what ever happened to them?
Kaboom? I'm not too sure. Joe, Phil, and Kevin moved their way south, and pretty much put the jabbawockeez together along with Gary (RIP). But Joe/Phil still chill in Sacramento: Managing the groups Boogie Monstarz and Press Play. Theres also a crew in San Diego called SUPER GALACTIC BEAT MANIPULATORS which is a co group with all these groups i mentioned. SOOOO, Jedi Clan,Kaboom Squad ,Mindtricks,Boogie Monstarz, Jabbawockeez, Super Galactic Beat Manipulators, Press Play = "Family" from NORCALI to SOCALI
I could tell you what happened to Kaboom squad, they all got married, had kids and stopped dancing. With the exception of Lil Phil,KB and Joe.

Originally Posted by Bastitch

It's crazy to think that they were around back when crews like Dangerous Image and 360 were still around and they're sitll getting mentioned now.

Dangerous Image Documentary

^ I watched that video before Sergie even put it on. Brings me back to high school. It's cool that Sergie is still DJing too.

Phil Tayag, Joe Larot, Kevin Brewer stepped their game up to something serious. PROPS.

BOOGIE MONSTARZ: (Phil/Joe from Jabbawockeez/Kaboom Squad)

Body Rock 2006 - Won 1st Place

A Piece Done @ Dance Mission (San Francisco):

Uncovered some lost footage of the original Non-Stop Dance Crew performing in San Jose for Street Jam circa 1997...enjoy

LORENander wrote:
anyone heard of ds players from santa clara? they went down to body rock last year and won first place. only 3 dudes in the vid below, but they do have a bigger squad.

They're ok, but this Hilty and Bosch are better.

Mindtricks formerly known as Jedi Clan (Gary and Randy are in this one)

Jabbawockeez in Carnival/Choreographer's Ball - 2005.� Dope moves @ 3:45

A must see!
��

Originally Posted by marbinski

If you want to bring it back to the mid 90s and above... I would say some So. Cal high school squads such as:
  • Oxnard - Channel Islands All-Male (established in 1995)
  • San Diego - Mira Mesa All-Male
  • Palos Verdes Peninsula - All-Male
They would compete in dance competitions such as Miss Dance Drill Team USA/Nationals and other various high school competitions that still go on today.

But as for the crews in So Cal...they used to only represent at the Import Showoff Car Show Events in Anaheim/Pomona/Del Mar. The competition now has evolved and now there are various venues like Body Rock, Battlefest, Fusion, World of Dance, Vibe, etc.

In the early stages of the dance scene, the top crews were always well represented by Filipinos, then later more and more people got involved which has helped hip-hop dance community grow so much...
For me, being in the dance game all these years, really makes the originators/innovators proud. Its only going to get better from here on out....
pimp.gif

Yooo, my cousin was in CI, c/o '07.

Back
Top Bottom