What are valuable hard skills to learn for career advancement?

I'm currently working in HR and use vlookup/pivot tables often, but I want to expand on my skills more for career advancement. Definitely want to get more familiar with other Office programs, as well. I'm looking to take classes / buy books needed this year.

Any skills you guys would recommend learning?

Linux, Python, etc. Anyone have experience with these or would recommend learning them?

Last edited:
More so looking for "hard skills" that would apply to a business's needs. Programming, software and the like.

Email language.

Its def something I’m always conscious of.

I sometimes send emails to 50+ people for work and it’s definitely an unnerving feeling.

Anything from typos, to sentence structure, to keeping the readers attebtion.
Sometimes people don’t think about this enough when composing emails.

Whatever white people are into, get into it.

Wine, golf, Dockers... the whole 9.
Eh, depends on what your goals are. I get it but I just hate fakeness/brown-nosing in the work environment.

And the worst thing to see is a spineless black person tapdancing in hopes of getting brownie points.

I get it though, some folks enjoy/don't mind playing that game.

Sometimes your emails have to be wordy, some folks just don't bother to read, or just can't comprehend. diego diego is spot on with his post.

Also, know the difference between "reply" and "reply to all" FFS!

image_thumb3.png

Eh, depends on what your goals are. I get it but I just hate fakeness/brown-nosing in the work environment.

And the worst thing to see is a spineless black person tapdancing in hopes of getting brownie points.

I get it though, some folks enjoy/don't mind playing that game.

Yeah man, sometimes we think the longer the better but the truth is people won’t read that ****.

rillo561 rillo561 you right sometimes they have to be wordy but I’ve gotten into habits of highlighting it bolding key parts so that if nothing else, they’ll read what I need them to read.

I work with a union sales force.
Shiiittt, some of these reps don’t even check their emails.

This is some surprisingly terrible advice NT lol. The man asking for tangible hard skills - not advice on playing the politics soft skills game.

1. Continue developing Excel skills, especially shortcuts and pivot tables. If ur in HR and are a whiz at that it’ll really set you apart. Plenty of great stuff on YouTube, no need to pay.

2. Word and PPT. Same as above. Track changes, slide decks, etc. Its boring but best way to be able to do the job.

3. After these I would focus on all the other random tools that HR uses like Jobvite, Docusign, LinkedIn, Bamboo HR, etc etc. Most people don’t really get in depth knowledge and people that do set themselves apart. Developing familiarity with a broad set of tools will help when you leave.

4. And like others said..learn to email. Short, bullet points, and a Thanks! as your signature go a long way.

I would recommend learning some SQL. Since you are currently doing a good bit with excel the next progression I would assume would be more of a business analyst role of sorts which will require data manipulation and visualization. Over all it will assist in understanding data, working with tables, and being able to structure it in a way that the business unit can understand and apply which is VERY valuable.

Edit: Also, since you are in HR, what type of ERP system does your company use? PeopleSoft, SAP, etc? Getting into one of those modules could be golden for you. I know a lot of places are looking for HR IT Analyst.

Back
Top Bottom