What Football Position is suited for me?

I am 14 years old, I stand 6'0" weigh 225lbs and still growing. I am currently an 8th grader in middle school and I would like to try out forfootball at my high school next year. Problem is...I don't know what position is right for me.

I am not the fastest or the strongest, I love playing football in P.E but I am bigger than 80% of my classmates, so automatically they put in down on the lineto plow. I am a decent catcher, and have no problems throwing my body against fellas my size or bigger.

I know that I will get taller as I age through high school, my older brother of two years is 6'2" and 235lbs, but if I continue to workout I can gainmore weight and mass if necessary relativley easily.

Try out for defensive end. And make sure you go to the high school's workouts during the summer and hell you might be able to go during the spring.It's still kind of hard to really tell you what you should play, but damn, 6 foor 225 8th grader.

best thing u can do is MAKE SURE u go to summer work outs and tell the coach u never played before and dont know your postion. they will put u in some drills

D-End my dude..you've got the size and the weight and if you increase your quickness you'll be able to get around that end really quick

Originally Posted by In Yo Nostril

you grow a few more inches and you can play CB in a flag football league somewhere
Does he have them fluid hips, tho...?

well alotta high schools make you play both ways

Offense Tight End
Defense Outside Line Backer (if you have the speed)

Originally Posted by ReliantJ

Depending on speed and strength: Defensive Tackle or Linebacker.

If your fast and hit hard, you can't go wrong with being a strong safety. My nephew has a similar build as you described. He's 5'10 and last Ichecked 210. He's a freshman in HS and plays SS-FS on the varsity team. Now my nephew runs a 4.79 40, and the first game I went to he absolutely got LITup... Missed tackles, juked, the whole 9. With your size you will probably get scouted by the varsity coach, but best advice to you is that develop yourselfand play frosh ball.

Tryouts for my high school begins 8/01, been contacting the sports department regarding paperwork & physical.

What's funny is most of the time when we play football at school i'm on the line with all the samoans and i'm the only chinese guy in there.

I hope I can reach at least 6'3" and weigh around 240-245 by senior year and maybe if I am good enough I can play for UW.

If you got some decent speed maybe a OLB or DE your 1st couple years til you get bigger.

Originally Posted by Seatown2o6

Tryouts for my high school begins 8/01, been contacting the sports department regarding paperwork & physical.

What's funny is most of the time when we play football at school i'm on the line with all the samoans and i'm the only chinese guy in there.

I hope I can reach at least 6'3" and weigh around 240-245 by senior year and maybe if I am good enough I can play for UW.

100% youll be on the line then. (unless your really fast)

if ur askin then obviously you never played before, which id also guess ur unathletic . . . just stick to english and algebra

I stand 6'0" weigh 225lbs and still growing. I am currently an 8th grader in middle school
eek.gif

Originally Posted by Poogibucker

if ur askin then obviously you never played before, which id also guess ur unathletic . . . just stick to english and algebra

a lot of good players start in high school, maybe their parents don't let them play when they are younger for whatever reason

Just try various positions out. Consider DE/TE/LB. Keep developing your speed, power and football smarts and see where it takes you.

Originally Posted by shiznut123

Just try various positions out. Consider DE/TE/LB. Keep developing your speed, power and football smarts and see where it takes you.

Best advice in this thread.

I didn't know schools had "optional" summer workouts but yea, go to everyone of them. Show the coaches something, easiest way to do that isthrough effort. Everything will work itself out.

Originally Posted by vctry20

Anonio Gates didn't start until the NFL...right?
He had to start in high school since he was first-team all-state. He only played basketball in college though.

Back
Top Bottom