What happen to Nelly Vol. 15k first week

Insane his new album only sold 15k first week, 15K FIRST WEEK?! He was one of the best selling aritst early/mid 2000's. How did he fall off this bad? He had the number 1 and 2 album (Sweat and Suit) back in 2004. Let alone "Country Grammar" and "Nellyville" selling boat loads! Just crazy to me, 15K?

NELLY M.O.REPUBLIC15,474--

I didn't know there was a new Nelly album until he started being compared to Drake in the Drake thread. His time pretty much passed, combined with him not really making good music in years

he has nothing to prove though 

for a couple years he was one

of the biggest acts in MUSIC

numbers dont and hes got platinum plaques piled up

the answer to the question is simple

flo rida 

the people could of at least got him to 100k tho 
mean.gif

Didn't even know he was dropping a CD. I remember NT mentioning he was on a comeback but I haven't even heard a single. Nelly needs to probably just hang it up. I could see him helping to foster new careers for artist from STL though. I won't even front I bought the Murphy Lee Cd if Nelly wanted to I'm sure he get couple more careers popping.

Get Like Me with Pharrell was hard. Should have never added Nicki.

Ciroc and Simply Lemonade is my joint.

Album is mad weak though. Way too radio friendly for my taste. It's kind of following the Drake formula with all the rapping and singing. A few cuts on here are cool though.

I know he was always a "radio friendly" rapper... But this album went over the top pop/radio-friendly.

I know at this point in his career he feels he gotta do what he gotta do to make that $$$$... But being seen as such a sell out isn't a good look in the hip hop world sales wise.

The reason Flo Rida and Pitbull succeed is because they have no shame going down the pop lane and they do it well. It's who they are and they're proud of it. They embrace it and stack that paper.

Nelly is caught between trying to prove he's still a dope rapper and trying to make songs for the radio to create buzz. Stick to one.

There's only a few people who can make radio friendly songs and still sell...Cole, Wale, Sean relatively, Wiz (even though he sucks)... Nelly doesn't do it anywhere close to as good as these guys.

Hip hop does not have loyal fans. Nelly was hot but when you take a hiatus or break from making music without any appearances you cant expect to recieve the same love when you come back. Fans move on..

Last edited:
Flo-Rida stole his lane and Nelly's music is pretty whack these days its a pretty simple formula

GymJones you're right about hip hop fans not being loyal.

TI was the hottest rapper in the country when "Whatever You WAnt" was killing the charts. 650k first week sales... Features requested from everyone. All over tv. Acting roles.

Those 2 years in jail really killed all of his buzz. He's actually put out decent music since his release but no one even checks for it anymore.

People really do move on to the next hot thing quick.

Thats the way Hiphop has always been. We set the most trends and define cultue but we easily forget stuff when it gets remotely stale.

All good points were made by y'all in this thread. This is an example of what happens to an artist who doesn't make good consistent music.

Hip hop does not have loyal fans. Nelly was hot but when you take a hiatus or nreak from making music without any appearances you cant expect to recieve the same love when you come back. Fans move on..
Exactly.  Music moves too fast nowadays to take a hiatus.  Unless youre an Icon (Jay, Nas, etc) You cant expect to take 5 years off and come back on top like its all good.  The reason why current dudes like Ross, Jeezy, etc are having the success and longevity they have is because they stay dropping new quality material.  Moving and evolving with the game.  Nelly jumped off the train and was expecting it to be in the same spot when he got back.

Exactly.  Music moves too fast nowadays to take a hiatus.  Unless youre an Icon (Jay, Nas, etc) You cant expect to take 5 years off and come back on top like its all good.  The reason why current dudes like Ross, Jeezy, etc are having the success and longevity they have is because they stay dropping new quality material.  Moving and evolving with the game.  Nelly jumped off the train and was expecting it to be in the same spot when he got back.

Ross & Jeezy have a gangsta persona musically and fans might copy that in reality and can't until new music drops plus where they're from helps. They are talented Gz - Rap Game / Crack Game

Last edited:
Nelly's sister passed away and he stepped back as anyone would. His career suffered but oh well. He did what was best for him to deal with his sister passing. When tried to return hip hop and it turned into this jeezy/ ross trap sound. He couldn't fit in.

Back
Top Bottom