What Happened to Nike SB ???

hey guys, so a boycott will not do anything because it will just hurt shops and not Nike SB, because if shops have dunks then Nike already made its money when they ordered the pairs, so this is not the correct course of action to take if we want 05 back (high quality, dope cws, and popularity).

i spoke to a shop worker today and he told me that shops can choose to not order dunks if they feel like it, the problem is, most shops dont realize that as long as they over order (which is another issue I will discuss) no matter if the cw is liked, there will be no demand, and also in terms of skaters, 83 to me seems too  high for what we skaters are willing to pay for a skate shoe especially if there are cheaper alternatives such as Busenitz, Janos, Half Cabs, and many other brands to choose from.

Ordering: Shops order dunks typically 9 months before release, but the problem is that they are taking a shot in the dark, since the public has not seen pics and cannot offer an opinion on whether they like them or not. For this I propose that Nike SB decide how many of each cw depending on how popular they predict the shoe will be mainly among us collectors/ skaters, but mostly limitedness always applies just to collectors.

So we wont get change until shops stop ordering dunks from Nike SB.

^^^ unfortunately my dudes have already started taking the action and not ordering from SB every couple months because they can't move all of their product

Elcerrito, so are there any good things about the new lines that makes you want to incite this change? 

To be honest, as far as dunks go, no not really.
I feel that the SB dunk culture is a lot different from where it was even in 2007.What I would change, is just make dunks how they did in 05 (limited runs, popular well liked cws, and higher quality on materials/ padding than dunks currently have).

If one shoe can make this much buzz (skunks, liberties (kind of), brainwrecks) then it tells me that Nike SB is definitely tryingto entice us, collectors, but they dont seem to be trying hard enough, seeing as many shops have pairs sitting, many cws from 06 havent been anything collector wise, and the quality not being improved.

If I were Nike SB I would just sell janos, blazers, (koston 1s, hopefully), and dunks to shops. Dunks quantity being dictated by Nike SB and not by shops (a change they made in 06 apparently). I would get new minds behind cws and I would like to see themes that many people can relate to AND ones that have a deep skate culture theme as well.

Stuntman Mike wrote:
if nike SB were to release the supreme highs today without the supreme name, people would be griping about how nike goin downhill puttin stupid gold stars on the shoes. chocolates are sought after mostly cause they're rare. paul brown highs sat on the shelves back then and they would probably do the same today (i like those btw). the whole nike SB went downhill argument isn't completely true imo - a whole bunch of the recent nike SB blazers have been super nice - there's been some clean sb dunks released but not recognized because people follow the hype - if anything, the hype for SB went downhill.

This.

Originally Posted by limonyfresh

And that goes for both material quality and colorways? What about the added constructural features?

The constructional features are good for skaters, but me personally I dont care what they do in terms of skating because I feel that I can get a better value skating Vans' Half Cabs, Adidas' Busenitz, or even Nike SB's Janoski or Blazer. (I want to see how Supra's new Erik Elligton pro model sells). It seems to me that skaters wouldn't buy dunks even if they were priced cheaper simply because these shoes (listed) are so much better. I have even heard this from shops.

Dunks: The colorways on dunks just dont appeal to the majority of collectors like they used to 02-05. And the quality in terms of materials just dont seem to be as good as they were up to 05.  I know its hard to consistently think of "good" cws, but Nike did it for 4 years and then in 06 the "good" stuff just stopped. Nike SB has only had a few "good" releases since 2006, and that is what has led to the dunks' downfall. Few people are buying them. Nike seriously needs to step up their game in terms of having designers that can deliver. And that doesnt mean getting former designers back necessarily because pretty much all but a few of them have made a substantial amount of flops too. Nike SB imo needs to collab with more artists/ shops/ anyone who knows what to do and can make a shoe that we like thats original in idea and NOT a bite on a former successful colorway. I think materials could be and should be experimented with as well.

I have faith that Nike will turn it around soon, I just hope it happens sooner than later.  

Originally Posted by elcerrito91

Originally Posted by limonyfresh

And that goes for both material quality and colorways? What about the added constructural features?

The constructional features are good for skaters, but me personally I dont care what they do in terms of skating because I feel that I can get a better value skating Vans' Half Cabs, Adidas' Busenitz, or even Nike SB's Janoski or Blazer. (I want to see how Supra's new Erik Elligton pro model sells). It seems to me that skaters wouldn't buy dunks even if they were priced cheaper simply because these shoes (listed) are so much better. I have even heard this from shops.

Dunks: The colorways on dunks just dont appeal to the majority of collectors like they used to 02-05. And the quality in terms of materials just dont seem to be as good as they were up to 05.  I know its hard to consistently think of "good" cws, but Nike did it for 4 years and then in 06 the "good" stuff just stopped. Nike SB has only had a few "good" releases since 2006, and that is what has led to the dunks' downfall. Few people are buying them. Nike seriously needs to step up their game in terms of having designers that can deliver. And that doesnt mean getting former designers back necessarily because pretty much all but a few of them have made a substantial amount of flops too. Nike SB imo needs to collab with more artists/ shops/ anyone who knows what to do and can make a shoe that we like thats original in idea and NOT a bite on a former successful colorway. I think materials could be and should be experimented with as well.

I have faith that Nike will turn it around soon, I just hope it happens sooner than later.  

What's so hard to understand that hypebeast happened to SB? There are countless replies in here that answer you and you just keep continue to spew rubble about cw's and materials. Hype made this shoe what it was for those few years, nothing more and nothing less. The shoe has always been good, from the jump. With every other line there are hits and misses with every season. Hypebeast have moved on, maybe you should too.....

I agree that hbs/ collectors made the shoe popular, and that hbs/collectors not liking the cws after 2006 made it unpopular, but the reason hbs didnt like the shoes after 2006 was because the cws werent appealing anymore. Its Nike's fault (the designers) as to why the cws arent appealing to us (collectors) since they pick the materials/ cws that are to be released. If Nike's designers came out with a good cw on every dunk then nothing would have changed and SB would be thriving as it was in 02-05.

The heel padding is an issue however as is quality of materials.

Originally Posted by Stuntman Mike

if nike SB were to release the supreme highs today without the supreme name, people would be griping about how nike goin downhill puttin stupid gold stars onthe shoes. chocolates are sought after mostly cause they're rare. paul brown highs sat on the shelves back then and they would probably do the same today(i like those btw). the whole nike SB went downhill argument isn't completely true imo - a whole bunch of the recent nike SB blazers have been super nice -there's been some clean sb dunks released but not recognized because people follow the hype - if anything, the hype for SB went downhill.
Truth.

I don't know what's going on in this thread, but I think retroing all the older releases would be a terrible idea.

I agree that hbs/ collectors made the shoe popular, and that hbs/collectors not liking the cws after 2006 made it unpopular, but the reason hbs didnt like the shoes after 2006 was because the cws werent appealing anymore. Its Nike's fault (the designers) as to why the cws arent appealing to us (collectors) since they pick the materials/ cws that are to be released. If Nike's designers came out with a good cw on every dunk then nothing would have changed and SB would be thriving as it was in 02-05.

Wrong, hybeast are like locust and don't really stay on something too long. It had nothing to do with colors and everything to do with it was stale and they needed something else to jump on. Vans became the next hypebeast shoe if you remember correctly and they're off of that now too.

I'm feeling SOME items..

Mostly Janoski's.
Dunk Mids are looking better without the strap..

However, I'm not feeling the new Sb Dunk Soles..

Originally Posted by Winged Wheel

Wrong, hybeast are like locust and don't really stay on something too long. It had nothing to do with colors and everything to do with it was stale and they needed something else to jump on. Vans became the next hypebeast shoe if you remember correctly and they're off of that now too.

^ This.

They Jus Became "Out Of Style"...
30t6p3b.gif

It Seems Like All The Good Pairs Were Causing Lawsuits, An Then They Jus Got Out Of Hand By Releasing Colorways Like Every Week... They Started To Lose Creativity Honestly... 

Look At The Creativity An Materials Used On Those...
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

They Jus Went Downhill...

I feel nike sb just has to take it back to the essence with the colorways, meaning make colorways that look like actual SKATE SHOES (ginos, chocolates, wheat highs) like they did on the 1st and 2nd series SBs with a few bright colorways w/ the classic blocking (like on the supas/flashes), and drop the occasional nice looking limited collab. that along with the fat tongues will put nike sb back on top, possibly back on top with hypebeasts but back on top w/ the real skaters and shoe collectors.

hit up nikeskateboarding.com and you can search by your location. Some spots aren't listed up there though that have sb accounts. At least around here its a few spots not on the site that get sbs.

Originally Posted by jsallday

band-aids are ridiculous

These sat on shelves for the absolute longest, and look at what they fetch now. 
Same goes for Mochas and Grits.

I love my SBs, more pink boxes in my closet than orange/brown nikes, but I love kicks of all sorts.

People moved on from SB, and Nike didn't help by putting out a lot of steaming #%#$.

They're getting back to basics finally, but it's a little too late for the masses. 

I don't care though, easier cop for me
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom