What happened to the White-Americans NBA players?

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

I've said that the general perception from fans, GMs, coaches, etc is that white players are not as good as black players.
Hmm, I wonder why that is...
If you're trying to insinuate that I'm lending credence to the theory, then you're wrong.

In case you didn't read the entire thread, I am the one arguing FOR giving white players a better chance to prove themselves.

Shuges, I've watched and played soccer for almost my entire life.

You do not need to be athletic to succeed in soccer.

Positioning, ball control, conditioning and pass accuracy are the most important attributes of being a successful soccer player. You can be the fastest andstrongest guy on the pitch but if you cant control a pass, make accurate passes, or position yourself properly, then you are a useless soccer player. Tons ofprofessional soccer players in the past and present have thrived in the game despite being limited athletically. The best player this past generation (ZinedineZidane) was a crappy athlete but absolutely dominant on the pitch because he was always in the right place at the right time, had tremendous ball control andwas an excellent shooter and passer. I could list players for days who have been extremely successful in the sport despite not being great athletes.

Being athletic obviously helps a ton (Thierry Henry in his prime, Cristiano Ronaldo, etc. etc.) but lack of athleticism can be overcome by possessing generalsoccer skills.

I can not say that there is a single position in soccer that requires you to be athletic. Being able to survive a 90-minute match and playing your position arethe only 2 requirements.

I can break down the requirements of each position although I'm not sure you'd be interested in reading such a long summary. For the most part, soccerdoes not require the raw athleticism that sports such as basketball, football, track and field, etc. require. Other than maybe 2-3 positions in soccer, you DONOT need to be athletic to succeed.

Originally Posted by Frankie Valentino

I want to see more initiatives to reach out into middle class suburban communities to teach the game of basketball to young white kids. Lord knows it's probably the only thing they'll succeed at in life.
This is pretty funny.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by SHUGES

I hate when ppl use the "resources" excuse.

Yes, it's true that you can play a game of 1-on-1 and develop your dribble and shooting skills. But your basic fundamentals (passing, defense, boxing out) would never get developed. Even in a 3-on-3 game, it's not quite the same b/c of the spacing.

In this day and age, most high schools have sufficient resources if a kid is interested in any of the major US sports. Track, football, baseball, basketball... So if you simply go to school, you will have the resources to learn and hone your craft.

And how are blacks "better built" for b-ball than baseball?
most HS dont allow kids on school grounds during the weekend for sport nor in the summer and if you had to wait to HS to us those resources thenyou already a mile behind the kids that grow up with those resources

and i dont know about you but i can go to any park in my city during the summer and run a 5 on 5 how many parks have you ran across a full on baseball gamerunning........

if you dont understand how or why blacks are built better for basket ball then its a problem and this isnt something you need to debate

[h2]Bird: NBA 'a black man's game'[/h2]Updated: June 10, 2004, 10:36 AM ET

KNIGHTSTOWN, Ind. -- Larry Bird says he wants to see more white superstars in the NBA, but the legendary former Celtic has also revealed that nothing in basketball bothered him more than being guarded by another white player.

Bird made the comments during an ESPN special that will air Thursday at 7 p.m. ET featuring Bird's longtime rival, Magic Johnson, and rookies LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony. The one-hour discussion is called "Two on Two."

ESPN host Jim Gray asked Bird whether the NBA lacks enough white superstars.

"Well, I think so," said Bird, the Indiana Pacers' president of basketball operations. "You know, when I played, you had me and Kevin [McHale] and some others throughout the league. I think it's good for a fan base because, as we all know, the majority of the fans are white America. And if you just had a couple of white guys in there, you might get them a little excited. But it is a black man's game, and it will be forever. I mean, the greatest athletes in the world are African-American."

Johnson, a Lakers part owner, quickly added: "We need some more LBs -- Larry Birds. ... Larry Bird, you see, can go into any neighborhood. When you say 'Larry Bird,' black people know who he is, Hispanics, whites, and they give him the respect."

Cleveland's James and Denver's Anthony, both 19, were also asked about race during the sitdown, which took place in the tiny gym used as Hickory High's homecourt in the movie "Hoosiers."

Asked by Gray if race is an issue in the NBA, James said: "I don't think so. I think the fans look at the game, [they're] not looking at the race. [They're] looking who can play basketball. Or who's athletic. ... When you [were] a kid and you used to go outside, it didn't matter who was the best player in the league. If Bird was my favorite player, I'm out shooting threes. ... If Magic was my [favorite] player, I'm out there throwing my best passes. It's not the race issue. If you can play the game of basketball, you know fans are gonna love you."

Said Anthony: "Race is not an issue. Where I'm from, people love the Yao Mings, the Dirks, the Pejas. They love them guys. I don't think race is an issue right now."

Yet later in the discussion, Bird described being guarded by another white in his prime as "disrespect."

"The one thing that always bothered me when I played in the NBA was I really got irritated when they put a white guy on me," Bird said. "I still don't understand why. A white guy would come out (and) I would always ask him: 'What, do you have a problem with your coach? Did your coach do this to you?' And he'd go, 'No,' and I'd say, 'Come on, you got a white guy coming out here to guard me; you got no chance.' ... For some reason, that always bothered me when I was playing against a white guy.

"As far as playing, I didn't care who guarded me -- red, yellow, black," Bird added. "I just didn't want a white guy guarding me. Because it's disrespect to my game."

Said Magic: "His game, you see, Larry Bird was the only [white] guy that was mentioned in the barbershop. ...'Cause that's where all the talking in our community is, the barbershop or on the playground."

Bird has declined to comment further, according to a Pacers spokesman, and NBA commissioner David Stern said he would reserve comment until seeing the entire interview.

Link

Interesting "hypotheses" from some of you. This is comparable to similar discussions as to why certain groups are more successful than others when itcomes to education/intelligence, but flipped.

In alternate worlds a lot of the thoughts in this thread would be labeled racist, but hey it's Niketalk so not only are stereotypes reinforced, they'reconsidered completely valid as long as the people being stereotyped are regularly viewed as being "privileged."

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

I'm saying specialization HELPS those with greater athletic ability. ie black people.

You're right there will always be more black players than white but I'm saying there is less today then there was in the let's say the 1980's, and I think the change is the specialization of athletes. Ifeuropeans can overcome athletic deficiencies than white Americans should be able as well.
I haven't given much thought into this but I think that the reason why there are less white players in the NBA today compared to the 80s isbecause the NBA has become a much more athleticism-driven league. You hear coaches/GMs complaining about young players lacking basic fundamentals but it isthese same coaches/GMs who draft certain players because they were able to bench 185 pounds X amount of times, because they had the best time in the shuffledrill, because they have a 40+ inch verticle, etc. It's not so much about being able to make accurate passes or be an accurate shooter anymore as much asit is about having the necessary athleticism to survive in the league. NBA teams tend to go for players who despite their basketball limitations, are greatathletes. Teams think that they can get the most out of these raw athletes by molding them into role-players. So while specialization plays a huge role in thegame of basketball today, I think that athleticism plays the biggest role in the sport itself. Teams would rather take a risk on a raw athlete than a playerwith all the fundamental skills but lacking desired physical qualities. I could be wrong though.

If you're trying to insinuate that I'm lending credence to the theory, then you're wrong.
Well, that's what I'm doing.
How so when I have clearly been arguing against it?

CT, I admit that I don't know the ins and outs of soccer. I am only speaking (ignorantly perhaps) on what Isee. A sport like soccer primarily depends on a player running and moving for 90 minutes. In other words, you won't see some sloppy, fat bastard gettingbusy in soccer. Maybe a better term for soccer players is "CONDITIONED" instead of "ATHLETIC".

Casper, I hear what you're saying about picking up the rock and playing during the summer. But what about thewinter? If you don't have access to some sort of indoor facility, then your !@# is out. Whereas a high school player can play YEAR ROUND (even if theycan't hit the gym during the weekend like you claim.... which is not completely true by the way).

And finally, I asked why would you say black athletes are better built for bball than baseball? Outfielders, you need speed and hops... Infielders, you needrange and athleticism.... Pitchers, you need power in your leg muscles and arm strength.... All things that you guys are claiming that black kids are superiorto white kids in.

So if black kids are soooooooooo superior athletically in these areas, then why aren't they dominating baseball?

Because you guys are WRONG. It is NOT all about being athletically gifted.

It's part of what OKB said and a little bit of what I'm trying to say.

Originally Posted by 49er4Life

Originally Posted by gangsta207therevolution

Some of you guys are sounding like Jimmy the Greek.....
Not that many white guys hoop everyday. Thats the issue. You look at that D league game Kyle was at how many of the guys were black? To me hes crying cause he feels slighted.

Um no, that's not the issue. Basketball has evolved into a sport dominated by athletic freaks. Blacks are just genetically more athletic than any other race. And in case any of you are wondering, I'm Mexican..
In case you are wondering im BLACK.
Black people aint born with more fast twitch muscles. They develop em. What does basketball encompass? Running, jumping and training.
Those are all things that develop fast twitch muscles. You show me a white guy who is cut and defined in the NBA? You can develop athletic ability. There aintsome genetic lottery for it. You can learn how to get your muscles to react faster (fast twitch) you can run faster,jump higher. it just depends on how muchwork you puttin in.
Any basketball player that cant make it to the league needs to look in that mirror. There aint no excuses for not doing what you want to in life. Thats how Ilook at myself, and thats how successful people look at it.

Casper hit the nail on the head. You come from a place where you have to compete, and you develop athletic ability, skill and determination.

laugh.gif
at the pity party some of y'all wanna throw for poor suburbanwhite kids who don't get an equal shot an NBA stardom because of their race. Now I've heard it all.

I honestly have no clue if black folks are born athletically superior to whites but I do know that the exact oppositeargument was made on a very widespread basis for decades. It's like the white man will always try to come up with an excuse for himself when another group(especially black people) excel past them at something and they can't seem to compete.

As for the change in the make-up of the L, it's simply based on the process of integration that began in the 1960s. If professional basketball was just asavailable to black players in the 1950s-1970s as it is now, you don't think those rosters would have been filled with mostly brothers?

The other factor is that, at least during the 20th century in the U.S., groups on the lower rungs of society have excelled at sports (when given theopportunity). Think about the sport of boxing in the first half of this century- it was dominated by Irish and Italian fighters, the two groups essentiallyviewed as the least "white" and least desirable European ethnic groups. As the sport desegregated, blacks and Latinos rose to the head of theranks...

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

I'm saying specialization HELPS those with greater athletic ability. ie black people.

You're right there will always be more black players than white but I'm saying there is less today then there was in the let's say the 1980's, and I think the change is the specialization of athletes. Ifeuropeans can overcome athletic deficiencies than white Americans should be able as well.
I haven't given much thought into this but I think that the reason why there are less white players in the NBA today compared to the 80s is because the NBA has become a much more athleticism-driven league. You hear coaches/GMs complaining about young players lacking basic fundamentals but it is these same coaches/GMs who draft certain players because they were able to bench 185 pounds X amount of times, because they had the best time in the shuffle drill, because they have a 40+ inch verticle, etc. It's not so much about being able to make accurate passes or be an accurate shooter anymore as much as it is about having the necessary athleticism to survive in the league. NBA teams tend to go for players who despite their basketball limitations, are great athletes. Teams think that they can get the most out of these raw athletes by molding them into role-players. So while specialization plays a huge role in the game of basketball today, I think that athleticism plays the biggest role in the sport itself. Teams would rather take a risk on a raw athlete than a player with all the fundamental skills but lacking desired physical qualities. I could be wrong though.

Again, how would this explain the rise of European players, who are just as un athletic but have the fundamentals that coaches covet.

Not that many white guys hoop everyday. Thats the issue. You look at that D league game Kyle was at how many of the guys were black? To me hes crying cause he feels slighted.

Um no, that's not the issue. Basketball has evolved into a sport dominated by athletic freaks. Blacks are just genetically more athletic than any other race. And in case any of you are wondering, I'm Mexican..
Black people aint born with more fast twitch muscles. They develop em. What does basketball encompass? Running, jumping and training.
Those are all things that develop fast twitch muscles. You show me a white guy who is cut and defined in the NBA? You can develop athletic ability. There aint some genetic lottery for it. You can learn how to get your muscles to react faster (fast twitch) you can run faster,jump higher. it just depends on how much work you puttin in.
Any basketball player that cant make it to the league needs to look in that mirror. There aint no excuses for not doing what you want to in life. Thats how I look at myself, and thats how successful people look at it.

Casper hit the nail on the head. You come from a place where you have to compete, and you develop athletic ability, skill and determination.

Dude stop. I can develop my fast twitch muscles all I want but I'm not going to run as fast as Chris Johnson/Desean Jackson. I can work on my vertical allI want but it'll never exceed Howards/LeBrons. I can only develop my athletic ability as much as my body allows. Black people are just genetically giftedwhen it comes to athletics. It has nothing to do with skill and determination because that's what it takes to get to the NBA. What white players arelacking is the athletic ability that blacks have. Period.

Originally Posted by SHUGES

Well, that's what I'm doing.
How so when I have clearly been arguing against it?

CT, I admit that I don't know the ins and outs of soccer. I am only speaking (ignorantly perhaps) on what I see. A sport like soccer primarily depends on a player running and moving for 90 minutes. In other words, you won't see some sloppy, fat bastard getting busy in soccer. Maybe a better term for soccer players is "CONDITIONED" instead of "ATHLETIC".

Casper, I hear what you're saying about picking up the rock and playing during the summer. But what about the winter? If you don't have access to some sort of indoor facility, then your !@# is out. Whereas a high school player can play YEAR ROUND (even if they can't hit the gym during the weekend like you claim.... which is not completely true by the way).

And finally, I asked why would you say black athletes are better built for bball than baseball? Outfielders, you need speed and hops... Infielders, you need range and athleticism.... Pitchers, you need power in your leg muscles and arm strength.... All things that you guys are claiming that black kids are superior to white kids in.

So if black kids are soooooooooo superior athletically in these areas, then why aren't they dominating baseball?

Because you guys are WRONG. It is NOT all about being athletically gifted.

It's part of what OKB said and a little bit of what I'm trying to say.

I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but no one gives a damn about baseball in most urban black communities. Period. That's whyblack players aren't dominating baseball. On the other hand, basketball is preached as a quasi-religion in many of these communities where it is viewed asthe only sport to play. Literally.

And resources have plenty to do with it. Kids can play basketball without anything but a ball, they don't even need a hoop or court to practice. Baseball, on the other hand, requires at least a bat, ball, gloves, and something that resembles a large field. Also, look at how small a basketballhalf-court is compared to a baseball field- there is a tremendous difference; baseball fields also require regular upkeep while basketball courts require none. There are typically hardly any baseball fields in the hood but dozens of basketball courts, rims, etc. You honestly don't think that makes a differenceabout what kids are going to play?

Plenty of high schools in Chicago don't even have baseball teams (or track teams, volleyball teams, etc.) but every single one has a basketball team. Alot of these schools don't have the resources, facilities, equipment, coaches, etc. to field those other teams but they always have basketball becauseit's popular, every school has a gym, and you basically don't need any equipment.

Originally Posted by red mpls

And resources have plenty to do with it. Kids can play basketball without anything but a ball, they don't even need a hoop or court to practice. Baseball, on the other hand, requires at least a bat, ball, gloves, and something that resembles a large field. Also, look at how small a basketball half-court is compared to a baseball field- there is a tremendous difference; baseball fields also require regular upkeep while basketball courts require none. There are typically hardly any baseball fields in the hood but dozens of basketball courts, rims, etc. You honestly don't think that makes a difference about what kids are going to play?
I don't know man, even kids in poor countries like Venezuela & the DR go crazy over baseball. I would think Americans would be able toafford the equipment.

Originally Posted by ShaunHillFTW49

Originally Posted by red mpls

And resources have plenty to do with it. Kids can play basketball without anything but a ball, they don't even need a hoop or court to practice. Baseball, on the other hand, requires at least a bat, ball, gloves, and something that resembles a large field. Also, look at how small a basketball half-court is compared to a baseball field- there is a tremendous difference; baseball fields also require regular upkeep while basketball courts require none. There are typically hardly any baseball fields in the hood but dozens of basketball courts, rims, etc. You honestly don't think that makes a difference about what kids are going to play?
I don't know man, even kids in poor countries like Venezuela & the DR go crazy over baseball. I would think Americans would be able to afford the equipment.
The people in those countries could easily dedicate whatever resources they expend on baseball and put towards basketball and have a surplus. Thedifference is that baseball is the cultural staple in many of those countries that basketball is here in so many urban black communities. If kids were dyingto play baseball in the hood in the U.S., of course baseball would be more prevalent... probably not as prevalent as basketball is now given the difference inresources it takes to play it but certainly more common.

Not to mention in those countries most kids play baseball with a stick, a ball, no gloves, and no actual field. So their baseball requirements are much lessthan ours in the U.S. Which goes back to my other point, if kids in these communities here actually wanted to play baseball they would probably do the same. But they don't want to because basketball is pushed so hard to the point of exclusion of nearly all other sports in many instances.

Those are all things that develop fast twitch muscles. You show me a white guy who is cut and defined in the NBA? You can develop athletic ability. There aint some genetic lottery for it. You can learn how to get your muscles to react faster (fast twitch) you can run faster,jump higher. it just depends on how much work you puttin in.
Any basketball player that cant make it to the league needs to look in that mirror. There aint no excuses for not doing what you want to in life. Thats how I look at myself, and thats how successful people look at it.

Dude stop. I can develop my fast twitch muscles all I want but I'm not going to run as fast as Chris Johnson/Desean Jackson. I can work on my vertical all I want but it'll never exceed Howards/LeBrons. I can only develop my athletic ability as much as my body allows. Black people are just genetically gifted when it comes to athletics. It has nothing to do with skill and determination because that's what it takes to get to the NBA. What white players are lacking is the athletic ability that blacks have. Period.
That's not explaining Dirk, Bargnani and other Euros who are white dudes that can ball in the league with the best of em.

Its specific to white males in the U.S....Why hasn't there been a next Larry Legend? It could be anything from socio-economic factors to poor grassrootsbasketball in predominately white areas.

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

Why are there less white American players in the league?

This is a difficult question to answer filled with many uncomfortable social and racial dynamics,, the first thought is that black people have an inherent advantage athletically against there white counter part, while this certainly is a factor I reject the notion that it is the main culprit. By that logic shouldn't the amount of white players stay constant, why has it dropped over the years and why is it that the white European player has risen to such great prominence? Shouldn't they have the same athletic limitations impeding there ability to compete? I think we can for the most agree that the average black athlete has some advantage over his white counterpart athletically, but again this should be constant, why is it that in the 1980's white players were able to overcome there athletic disadvantage, but current day players cannot> White Europeans over come this advantage with increasing regularity why has this ability escaped the white American.

I submit to you that it is not nature but nurture, development is the key. I believe that the way we develop players has fundamentally changed, as basketball has grown more complex naturally fragmentation and specialization has occurred. If a player is a certain height or weight we teach them a certain skill set. shooting guards, centers and all positions are bread to do specific things, all things that generally (aside from shooting) give advantage to players of greater athletic merit, consequently, black players. Shot blockers, slashers, re bounders, shooters ect, ect these are what teams are composed of now. So currently if there is a 6'10 white kid he is taught to do actions specific to a player of that size and position, actions that a player with greater athletic ability would excel to a greater level then he would be able to achieve. Now if you look at the way Europeans develop there players, everyone no matter the size is taught to do everything, dribble, pass, shoot, skills, that regardless of your athletic ability with practice there is no limit to your development. That is why you get player like, Marco Belineli or Carlos Delfino can run the point or we have 6'11 power forwards with 3 point range and guard skills. Specialization is the culprit for the demise of the great white American player.

Kevin Love is I think an excellent case that proves my thesis, as a child he was taught all skills that only smaller players would learn in the American system, he often mentioned (you can hear this on a podcast wilth Bill Simmons) how his father would drill him with passing drills, and how often he practiced his shooting and 3 point range. If you noticed the good white players all share a wide breath of skills and ability uncommon to there position and size from Troy Murphy to Mike Dunleavy. If an age of great white players is to return then the fundamentals of American basketball development must change as well.
In sports such as soccer, baseball, etc., where athleticism are not as important as in other sports, you see a more diverse mix of star players. Even in sports such as soccer that do not require much athleticism, you see that black players are suited for certain positions due to their physical advantages. For example, many of the best central defensive midfielders in soccer are of African origin. This is a position that requires a ton of endurance since you are expected to cover most of the pitch and requires a ton of strength since you are fighting for the ball in the middle of the pitch the entire match.
lol wut? i think you're underestimating soccer players here...just because it looks like they're just running for 90 minutes doesn'tmean they're not athletic.

Why are there less white American players in the league?

This is a difficult question to answer filled with many uncomfortable social and racial dynamics,, the first thought is that black people have an inherent advantage athletically against there white counter part, while this certainly is a factor I reject the notion that it is the main culprit. By that logic shouldn't the amount of white players stay constant, why has it dropped over the years and why is it that the white European player has risen to such great prominence? Shouldn't they have the same athletic limitations impeding there ability to compete? I think we can for the most agree that the average black athlete has some advantage over his white counterpart athletically, but again this should be constant, why is it that in the 1980's white players were able to overcome there athletic disadvantage, but current day players cannot> White Europeans over come this advantage with increasing regularity why has this ability escaped the white American.

I submit to you that it is not nature but nurture, development is the key. I believe that the way we develop players has fundamentally changed, as basketball has grown more complex naturally fragmentation and specialization has occurred. If a player is a certain height or weight we teach them a certain skill set. shooting guards, centers and all positions are bread to do specific things, all things that generally (aside from shooting) give advantage to players of greater athletic merit, consequently, black players. Shot blockers, slashers, re bounders, shooters ect, ect these are what teams are composed of now. So currently if there is a 6'10 white kid he is taught to do actions specific to a player of that size and position, actions that a player with greater athletic ability would excel to a greater level then he would be able to achieve. Now if you look at the way Europeans develop there players, everyone no matter the size is taught to do everything, dribble, pass, shoot, skills, that regardless of your athletic ability with practice there is no limit to your development. That is why you get player like, Marco Belineli or Carlos Delfino can run the point or we have 6'11 power forwards with 3 point range and guard skills. Specialization is the culprit for the demise of the great white American player.

Kevin Love is I think an excellent case that proves my thesis, as a child he was taught all skills that only smaller players would learn in the American system, he often mentioned (you can hear this on a podcast wilth Bill Simmons) how his father would drill him with passing drills, and how often he practiced his shooting and 3 point range. If you noticed the good white players all share a wide breath of skills and ability uncommon to there position and size from Troy Murphy to Mike Dunleavy. If an age of great white players is to return then the fundamentals of American basketball development must change as well.

This man explained it perfectly and knocked it out of the park.

Originally Posted by CasperJr

baseball = white game

basketball = black game

and its a simple reason for that

resources

it takes alot more resources to get a game of baseball going then basketball

throw it the fact that blacks are just better build for the game of basket ball

and it shows at the pro level for both sports

kids in the dominican republic dont have many resources yet they still play a lot of baseball...
and please do not label baseball as a "white sport"

EDIT: didnt see the responses up there about baseball in the latino countries

on a side note, the RBI program is slowly puttin baseball into the "hoods", hopefully it works out

Back
Top Bottom