WHAT IS HIP HOP/RAP MISSING Vol:Declining record sales/future of rap

Originally Posted by DipsetGeneral

You really type in an album name and google and download a whole album.. stop it ya'll...

People have found ways to make music better, with the technology available in the 2000's... Music is way better now!

But I believe things will soon turn around, because the quality of those downloads are horrible, so people will go back to wanting to own the best quality (which is the actual purchase of a CD). and album artwork...

(Oh! and hip hop is the highest-selling genre of all music, and most popular!).
Um you can literally go to googleblog search and type in the artist the cd title and rapidshare or megashare and get the link to any album you want for free.  Its way too easy.

Every cd that i have downloaded is fine quality wise.  Some one out there bought the CD then just uploaded it to a sharing site (ie: Rapidshare, Megashare etc.)

If anything once technology advances more and more people are going to be downloading music.  A lot of old people don't know how to download CD's and get them to itunes so they just buy them.  But as time goes on and the younger people get older who are used to doing this type of thing sales will drop even more.  The only way to stop it is to try and ban the file sharing but that is pretty difficult.  Wale actually made it a point to try and do away with the free downloads of his album online if you try and find it it's actually harder then finding most albums.  So it can be done....sort of.

Originally Posted by Jking0821

You really type in an album name and google and download a whole album.. stop it ya'll...

People have found ways to make music better, with the technology available in the 2000's... Music is way better now!

But I believe things will soon turn around, because the quality of those downloads are horrible, so people will go back to wanting to own the best quality (which is the actual purchase of a CD). and album artwork...

Um you can literally go to googleblog search and type in the artist the cd title and rapidshare or megashare and get the link to any album you want for free.  Its way too easy.

Every cd that i have downloaded is fine quality wise.  Some one out there bought the CD then just uploaded it to a sharing site (ie: Rapidshare, Megashare etc.)

If anything once technology advances more and more people are going to be downloading music.  A lot of old people don't know how to download CD's and get them to itunes so they just buy them.  But as time goes on and the younger people get older who are used to doing this type of thing sales will drop even more.  The only way to stop it is to try and ban the file sharing but that is pretty difficult.  Wale actually made it a point to try and do away with the free downloads of his album online if you try and find it it's actually harder then finding most albums.  So it can be done....sort of.

Actually Mp3's are inferior to those songs from Vinyl or CD.

But yea internet piracy will just increase as the years go on. The Movie business is safe because they've figured out ways to overcome piracy. Music companies tried to sue consumers who downloaded while Hollywood just came out with different ways to make people go into the theaters by adding the 3D movies and %!*.

Talent for the most part... and pride in the craft... If you are rapping just for a check and not because you care about making good music... Please don't... Also if you have no sense of history or respect for those good artists that came before you... Go away...

All the time
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Memp2Atl85

Talent for the most part... and pride in the craft... If you are rapping just for a check and not because you care about making good music... Please don't... Also if you have no sense of history or respect for those good artists that came before you... Go away...
Lupe had no history of Tribe Called Quest. Should he have went away?

Originally Posted by rocyaice

Originally Posted by Memp2Atl85

Lupe had no history of Tribe Called Quest. Should he have went away?

I didn't say... You have no sense of history of a particular group... ATCQ is not the end all-be all of good hip hop...Even when he didn't know about them, he still showed respect... Lupe grew up listening to Ball & G and UGK, Crucial Conflict, etc... When I made my first statement, I was mainly thinking about some of my homeboys that think they should be rapping, but haven't listened to a hip hop album from before 2005 since 2005...

Originally Posted by Addict4Sneakers

80% of NTers don't buy albums but are quick to
laugh.gif
when an artist doesn't sell.

I understand it's different, but artists from other genres are still selling. The net has affected them, but the sales are still there.

I've downloaded maybe 2 albums in the past 6 years.

I still think good music is coming out

There's like 5 artists going multiplatinum. In 1999, there were 5 or more RAPPERS going multiplatinum. Let alone artists like Kid Rock, N'Sync ,etc. Internet piracy murdered the rap game. Country fans and pop fans won't be as affected by internet piracy due to their fanbases purchasing albums. Those same pop fans are why a artist like TI or Jeezy can go platinum. But these dudes ain't going platinum because of rap fans. We simply don't buy rap albums anymore. Its too easy for us to get a album. Whether its at the barbershop, at school, internet. We're in a recession and nobody is gonna pay 10 dollars for something they can get on the internet for free or in the barbershop for 3 dollars.
False. Country artist are struggling just as much as rap artist. With the exception of Lady Antebellum and Taylor Swift, nobody else is selling. Pop music artist are suffering too. Black Eye Peas have had like 3 top ten hits with 2 being number one and they have yet to go triple platinum. Why? Because people are purchasing the singles. I have an even bigger example. Flo rida has released two albums so far, but the guy has yet to sell a million physical album records. But "Low" and "Right Round" have sold more than 10 million world wide in a span of 2-3 years. That is crazy and it shows how things are working. It shouldn't be stated on how people consume music, it should be stated on who is consuming the music.  Look at Sade. No single in the top twenty of the hot 100 and she has almost sold a million in less than 4 months. Why? Because of her fan base and who the music execs marketed her album to. Kids in high school arent running around talking about that new hot Sade track, but I bet their parents are listening to her stuff while they drive to work or on their lunch break. Her fan base are buying her music because they have a different approach to music. Same reason why Susan Boyle sold so many records.

Usher's album has been out for so long and the tracks were heard months ago and his sales reflect it. That doesn't mean his fan base had died at all. It is just on how it is being accessed. I've listened to every track on the album via youtube, but have yet to purchase his album. I'm a HUGE fan of his, but with physical CD's running at 15 dollars a pop, its not financially ok considering my income. Justin Biber is caught somewhere in between. His fan base is old enough to know about the internet, but they like having the CD's to show to their friends or have their mom pop it in the CD player. I work at a retail store and a young child came in the store with her mom and asked me for his new CD. I showed them My World 2.0. She saw 2.0 and the first album. She was thinking of which one she wanted, then changed her mind and said she wanted both. And based on studies there is something some of you all are forgetting to learn. The majority of rap sales come from people outside of the "race" you considering to be the biggest fans of the music. Jeezy's music is directed towards life in the "hood" and the struggle, but the hood that is blessed with the internet or library will be downloading the album for free or getting it from the local guy who comes in the barber shop or sells it directly on the street. The majority of his sales come from the common middle class "white" kid who wants to know learn about that life or just generally likes the music. Well it just so happens he has a computer to and knows how to download the album and that is what he does thus helping to decrease the sales even further. Those like 50 who travel outside of the states knows how it works in terms of sales. In 07, Kanye beat 50 in terms of sales in the first week in AMERICA. However, 50 won world wide in places that Kanye's music isn't as known. Why do you think labels like Cash Money is going out there to market themselves and find artist in the British market? There are some places where physical CDs are the only source of music.

I'm trying to set up an blogspot so I can put my article on the death of the mainstream commerical rapper.

Originally Posted by Jking0821

Actually Mp3's are inferior to those songs from Vinyl or CD.

But yea internet piracy will just increase as the years go on. The Movie business is safe because they've figured out ways to overcome piracy. Music companies tried to sue consumers who downloaded while Hollywood just came out with different ways to make people go into the theaters by adding the 3D movies and %!*.
Yup, Vinyl's give you music in its purest form. The sound is way richer and you feel the emotion. I want to hear the mistakes in the music. I wanna hear the sound of EVERY instrument being played. I think it was Mark Ronson who once showed himself producing using what is considered older systems to producing his music cause of the vintage sound it presented.

vinyl doesnt give u music in its purest form... its the analog recording... vinyl sounds crappy

Originally Posted by MusicalExcellence

vinyl doesnt give u music in its purest form... its the analog recording... vinyl sounds crappy

What are you using to play it?

Back
Top Bottom