what is the hype about macbooks, etc?

I see so many mac laptops all over campus. what is the big deal about them? It has got me curious. I am just a student. a laptop would be useful for mewhen it comes to writing papers, holding pictures, internet (email/research), play music (ipod/presentations), and thats pretty much it. I am sure there areother uses for it, but nothing major. So why should I get a mac laptop over a PC laptop?

If that's all you're gonna do, there is no reason to get a macbook over a windows laptop.

Steve Jobs approves of it.

So it's the best thing in the world, ever.
eyes.gif

But, there really isn't any reason for you to get an Apple.

Especially since most teachers use Windows.

are you asking us to convince u to get a mac? for what you want, just get a netbook. usually run for 400 with windows XP, small and ultra portable. then getyourself a decent desktop for your room. whether it's a windows pc or mac pc. or you can get a mac and run both windows and os x and get the best of bothworlds.

Originally Posted by Cragmatic

Most of the time, a Mac lasts about twice as long as Windows laptops

If they're put through the same treatment, do you have any proof of that?

Really, the #1 reason why Macs are rumoured to last longer is because most malicious script/code writers don't care about and/or use Macs. Plus a few otherhidden variables. There are less Mac users compared to PC users, and as sad as it is, a lot of Mac users are more computer-literate than a lot of PC users.(College students compared to soccer moms and kids in their early teens.)

A while back, a simple virus was released that messed with Macs and people flipped. While I laughed hysterically.

Macs are overrated. 'Cept for the G5s.
grin.gif

Originally Posted by guesshooiem

I see so many mac laptops all over campus. what is the big deal about them? It has got me curious. I am just a student. a laptop would be useful for me when it comes to writing papers, holding pictures, internet (email/research), play music (ipod/presentations), and thats pretty much it. I am sure there are other uses for it, but nothing major. So why should I get a mac laptop over a PC laptop?

I recently made the notebook switch and have no regrets.

-good battery, really quiet, smart charger

-much much much lower risk of viruses

-compatible with most PC stuff one way or another

-really fast, can be running a bunch of apps and have no problems

-nice change from windows, dock is great

-really good sleep mode. i can close it and its off in like 2 seconds and open it and its on in like two seconds

-everything is really simple to do and i can navigate through more apps faster and more efficiently

-isight's a good camera

-bluetooth works great

but that's it.

Everyone I know who's swtiched to mac is very happy with it, and wouldnt go back to windows.

Specially with the new Macbooks. 1299 May seem like a lot, but they are killing any PC laptop thats close in that price range. They've added the NVidiacards, the best battery life, all have Wireless N, Bluetooth, slot loading DVD, Fastest Processor, and Fastest OS.

dudes be trippin' macs are wheres it at. just because its been getting a little hype recently doesnt mean its wack now.. honestly when i get back on a pc ican see and feel all the flaws again. just to start up a pc is a hassle loading up all that antivirus steez, nortons, and all that uselesss stuff.

Apple has the best looking computers, opinions differ, but IMO, they're just sexy as hell. I dont agree with the prices though.

Originally Posted by guesshooiem

I see so many mac laptops all over campus. what is the big deal about them? It has got me curious. I am just a student. a laptop would be useful for me when it comes to writing papers, holding pictures, internet (email/research), play music (ipod/presentations), and thats pretty much it. I am sure there are other uses for it, but nothing major. So why should I get a mac laptop over a PC laptop?

Judging by what you stated you intend to use your laptop for, I suggest going for a PC laptop. The thing that is always left out of the discussion of PC vs.MAC is the price disparities that exist. You can get a PC laptop for $400-$500 that will do everything you require of it (write papers, hold pictures, internetaccess, play/store music, etc). Not quite sure what a low MAC costs, but I am pretty sure you cannot get one for below $1000. I am currently a PC user becauseApple products are out of my price range as a student plus I am quite comfortable with the PC setup and they are more than capable of doing anything andeverything I require from them. But, to each their own. If you want of feel you need a MAC, then by all means go for it.

People will continue to argue back and forth about the pros and cons of each, but at the end of the day it's a personal choice to be made.

All in a nutshell, Apple has created possibly the most HYPED UP technology in the past few years. Starting with theiPod. They've always been a credible computer company tho. But that gave them a boost. Mac computers in general aren't better than Windows. It'sjust hype. Everybody has one, so everybody ELSE wants one. You answered your own question in the thread title. It's all hype.

Back
Top Bottom