What is this?

Andre the Giant
:smh:

kaaba
its the most sacred place in islam. all muslims around the world face in its direction when they pray. if possible every muslim should go there atleast once in there liftetime to take part in the hajj pilgrimage

this is supposedly the inside
inside-view.jpg

Last edited:
The Kaaba (Arabic: الكعبة‎ al-Kaʿbah IPA: [ʔælˈkæʕbɐ], "The Cube"), also known as al-Kaʿba(tu) l-Mušarrafah (الكعبة المشرفة; "The Noble Cube"), al-Baytu l-ʿAtīq (البيت العتيق; "The Primordial House"), or al-Baytu l-Ḥarām (البيت الحرام; "The Sacred/Forbidden House") is a cuboid-shaped building in Mecca, Saudi Arabia, and is the most sacred site in Islam.

The building has a mosque (Masjid) built around it, the Masjid al-Haram. All Muslims around the world are supposed to face the Kaaba during prayers, no matter where they are. From any given point in the world, the direction facing the Kaaba is called the Qibla.

One of the Five Pillars of Islam requires every Muslim to perform the Hajj pilgrimage at least once in his or her lifetime if able to do so. Multiple parts of the Hajj require pilgrims to walk seven times around the Kaaba in a counter-clockwise direction (as viewed from above). This circumambulation, the Tawaf, is also performed by pilgrims during the Umrah (lesser pilgrimage).However, the most dramatic times are during the Hajj, when about 6 million pilgrims gather to circle the building on the same day.

The Kaaba is located inside the Masjid al-Ḥarām (المسجد الحرام‎, the "Sacred Mosque") in the center of Mecca (مكة‎ Makkah). It is a cuboid-shape structure which is made of granite quarried from nearby hills. Standing upon a 25 cm (10 in) marble base that projects outwards about 35 cm (14 in). It is approximately 13.1 m (43 ft) high, with sides measuring 11.03 m (36.2 ft) by 12.86 m (42.2 ft).

Inside the Kaaba, the floor is made of marble and limestone. The interior walls are clad with marble halfway to the roof. The marble is inset with Qur'anic inscriptions. The wall directly adjacent to the entrance of the Kaaba has six tablets inlaid with inscriptions. The top part of the walls are covered with a green cloth embroidered with gold Qur'anic verses. Caretakers anoint the marble cladding with scented oil used on the Black Stone outside. Three pillars stand inside the Kaaba, with a small altar set between one and the other two. Lamp-like objects (possible crucible censers) hang by a rope above the platform. An enclosed staircase leads to the roof.

Last edited:
i remember learning about this and the pilgrimage in school. wonder if this'll still be taught about in 10 years...

kaaba
its the most sacred place in islam. all muslims around the world face in its direction when they pray. if possible every muslim should go there atleast once in there liftetime to take part in the hajj pilgrimage
inside-view.jpg

this pic caused a stir i imagine???

kaaba
[/quote]

this pic caused a stir i imagine???[/quote]

yeah from what i can remember its was probably taken by some oil tycoon who used his wealth and power to get in. there is also a vid on youtube as well

What happens if you can't make the pilgrimmage in your lifetime? I imagine there's Muslims in the U.S. who might not be able to afford it.

What happens if you can't make the pilgrimmage in your lifetime? I imagine there's Muslims in the U.S. who might not be able to afford it.

if u are unable to do make the trip then its okay. but u should not buy a brand new house and car then say i dont have enough money for the pilgrimmage.

Back
Top Bottom