What Makes A Television Series Worth Watching?

Curious as to what makes you watch your favorite show(s) and what makes you a loyal fan? Additionally, what do you feel is missing from TV in 2011?
Trying to come up with a solid sitcom concept, 'preciate all feedback. 
laugh.gif
ohwell.gif

First thread 
pimp.gif

Curious as to what makes you watch your favorite show(s) and what makes you a loyal fan? Additionally, what do you feel is missing from TV in 2011?
Trying to come up with a solid sitcom concept, 'preciate all feedback. 
laugh.gif
ohwell.gif

First thread 
pimp.gif

quality, getting to know the characters, being able to relate(sometimes, i prefer to watch to tv to get away from real life).

i.e. prison break, 24, even stevens.

quality, getting to know the characters, being able to relate(sometimes, i prefer to watch to tv to get away from real life).

if you can make it past episode 3 without losing interest. that's my litmus test.

if you can make it past episode 3 without losing interest. that's my litmus test.

character development
funny
good looking females
there has to be some sort of action even if its not a lot
a splash of drama
storyline/plot has to be unique and if it isnt at least it has to be better than anything in the same genre
a lot of people like mystery and cliff hangers and it'll keep em coming back for more
I personally like no name actors getting a chance to get some shine
(suits,necessary roughness,breakout kings,franklin and bash)

character development
funny
good looking females
there has to be some sort of action even if its not a lot
a splash of drama
storyline/plot has to be unique and if it isnt at least it has to be better than anything in the same genre
a lot of people like mystery and cliff hangers and it'll keep em coming back for more
I personally like no name actors getting a chance to get some shine
(suits,necessary roughness,breakout kings,franklin and bash)

Good writing and interesting characters

Progression of story from season to season for dramas. Series that do this well are Breaking Bad and Mad Men. A series that doesn't is Dexter, it has the same outline each season. There is a big villain that doesn't get caught till the last episode, Dexter is in danger of having his identity/past revealed, deb has romantic problems, angel and la guerta have side story lines that nobody cares about, etc. I always smh when I see dudes calling Dexter the greatest show ever.

Good writing and interesting characters

Progression of story from season to season for dramas. Series that do this well are Breaking Bad and Mad Men. A series that doesn't is Dexter, it has the same outline each season. There is a big villain that doesn't get caught till the last episode, Dexter is in danger of having his identity/past revealed, deb has romantic problems, angel and la guerta have side story lines that nobody cares about, etc. I always smh when I see dudes calling Dexter the greatest show ever.

Originally Posted by Look Like Jesus

this.

kinda surprised to not see anyone post "nudity" as one factor, seeing from the tv series threads around here... seems like that's all that matters.
laugh.gif

this.

kinda surprised to not see anyone post "nudity" as one factor, seeing from the tv series threads around here... seems like that's all that matters.
laugh.gif

For a Drama?

realism.

The story has to be unique and the characters have to be believable to point where I feel like I can apply them to people in my life, or myself

for a comedy

Something that makes you laugh and makes you say thing along the lines of "Oh !@$%, can they say that on TV?"

For a Drama?

realism.

The story has to be unique and the characters have to be believable to point where I feel like I can apply them to people in my life, or myself

for a comedy

Something that makes you laugh and makes you say thing along the lines of "Oh !@$%, can they say that on TV?"

Originally Posted by zk1MPLS

this.

laugh.gif
nudity in Shameless with emmy rossum was a plus
laugh.gif
but its not something i expect from a show, therefore it doesn't make or break anything.

Originally Posted by zk1MPLS

this.

laugh.gif
nudity in Shameless with emmy rossum was a plus
laugh.gif
but its not something i expect from a show, therefore it doesn't make or break anything.

The plot has to be interesting. Also if the episodes are tied together in someway that makes it even more interesting to watch. Keeps me hooked

The plot has to be interesting. Also if the episodes are tied together in someway that makes it even more interesting to watch. Keeps me hooked

Back
Top Bottom