What makes shots go in-and-out?

This has been pissing me off for awhile now..
Raymond Felton is a major culprit..I think I saw him do it 3/4 times in one game 
tired.gif

So what is it? Rotation on the ball? 

ohwell.gif

This has been pissing me off for awhile now..
Raymond Felton is a major culprit..I think I saw him do it 3/4 times in one game 
tired.gif

So what is it? Rotation on the ball? 

ohwell.gif

word..

does this have anything to do with using too much index or ring finger in your shot?

word..

does this have anything to do with using too much index or ring finger in your shot?

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

How is this a serious question?
Why shouldn't it be a serious question?

I have always wondered what made shots go in and out. I swear it usually happens when a team is on a run more than any other time.

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

How is this a serious question?
Why shouldn't it be a serious question?

I have always wondered what made shots go in and out. I swear it usually happens when a team is on a run more than any other time.

Have you ever seen this movie?

moz-screenshot-5.png
moz-screenshot-6.png

But seriously, a couple of different factors play into it. Arc, rotation, where the ball hits the rim, how much of the ball hits the rim, tightness of the rim.

Have you ever seen this movie?

moz-screenshot-5.png
moz-screenshot-6.png

But seriously, a couple of different factors play into it. Arc, rotation, where the ball hits the rim, how much of the ball hits the rim, tightness of the rim.

Shots going in and out are all relatively similar -- the ball hits one side of the rim, then bounces off the rim at an angle that is almost horizontal so that it hits the other side of the rim, and then off that other side of the rim and ends up bouncing up. It's all just simple physics. If the bottom half of the ball strikes the rim, the shot will bounce up or sideways... A bounce going sideways has a very high chance of going in and out (a shot that bounces UP off the rim will simply fly off the rim and be a normal brick). As for reasons why it occurs, all the things mentioned in posts above play a part -- the arc of the shot, the rotation on the ball, etc. 

At the end of the day, it's simply a question of whether your shot ends up causing the ball to bounce off horizontally on the rim (such that it bounces and then hits the opposite side of the rim... and more particularly, such that the bottom half of the ball hits the opposite side of the rim, thus causing it to go up after the 2nd bounce). By and large, it's pretty random. However, the underlying reason is that your shot was inaccurate to begin with (again, such that the bottom half of the ball hit the rim).

Shots going in and out are all relatively similar -- the ball hits one side of the rim, then bounces off the rim at an angle that is almost horizontal so that it hits the other side of the rim, and then off that other side of the rim and ends up bouncing up. It's all just simple physics. If the bottom half of the ball strikes the rim, the shot will bounce up or sideways... A bounce going sideways has a very high chance of going in and out (a shot that bounces UP off the rim will simply fly off the rim and be a normal brick). As for reasons why it occurs, all the things mentioned in posts above play a part -- the arc of the shot, the rotation on the ball, etc. 

At the end of the day, it's simply a question of whether your shot ends up causing the ball to bounce off horizontally on the rim (such that it bounces and then hits the opposite side of the rim... and more particularly, such that the bottom half of the ball hits the opposite side of the rim, thus causing it to go up after the 2nd bounce). By and large, it's pretty random. However, the underlying reason is that your shot was inaccurate to begin with (again, such that the bottom half of the ball hit the rim).

Back
Top Bottom