What they do with old NYC Subway Cars

They are simply thrown into the ocean off the coast near the state ofDelaware.
There are already more than 700 cars at the bottom of the ocean. The most interesting fact is that such an artificial reef, according to experts, has a goodeffect on the local fauna.
It is something like luxury apartments for the fish where they are reproducing at an amazing pace.

subway_01.jpg

subway_02.jpg

subway_03.jpg

subway_04.jpg

subway_05.jpg

subway_06.jpg

subway_07.jpg

subway_08.jpg

subway_09.jpg

subway_10.jpg

LINK

Yea I heard about this years ago, I really dont know how I feel about it because on one side its making a home for many sea creatures but at the same time Ifeel it's still polution...

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

Originally Posted by SIRIUS LEE HANDSOME

Do you know where that undersea tire dump is? I've never seen that.

A mile off the coast of Ft. Lauderdale. Its a mess.
jesus effing christ. we have no idea the kind of damage we're doing to our own planet. smhx10000

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

Originally Posted by SIRIUS LEE HANDSOME

Do you know where that undersea tire dump is? I've never seen that.

A mile off the coast of Ft. Lauderdale. Its a mess.
I'm imagining the risk for pollution is much greater for tires since they incorporate some less than environmentally-friendly materialscompared to mostly metal and steel subway cars. I'm sure someone got a fat paycheck for agreeing to do that.

Originally Posted by milestailsprowe

This is new to me and I must say what a waste. Couldn't they recycle the metal and plastics for future products?
They strip as much as possible before they dump them. You can even buy some train parts on the MTA website.

R.I.P. Redbirds

The issue I see is certainly the positive spin on this would be "Oh but it provides a home for cute sea creatures and fauna so it is environmentallysound!" But nature has a way of regulating itself, with sea animals and fauna reproducing at "an astounding rate" it certainly effects theeco-system's natural balance.

The bottom line is there is no way this isn't harmful to the environment.

Back
Top Bottom