What type of additional training and/or certifications are attractive to employers? I need some reco

Long story short I graduated with a business management degree an handful of years ago. I haven't used my degree yet to land a job. I have been working in a call center for the past four years. Looking to get out asap. Along with business degree what other types of additional training or certifications would make me more appealing to employers? Thanks in advance.

This is a hard question to answer without context. What are you trying to do?

I agree with the general idea however, it's part of what I did to make myself attractive to employers aside from having a degree.

Law degree and CPA have probably the most appeal across different businesses in different industries. They depend on the field you are trying to get into though.

Your best bet is to choose a field, get a job in that field, then work on getting the certifications in that field.

If you want to be a business analyst, there are tons.

Especially if you're decent at math, specically stats

Project Management Institute (PMI) certs...

can start with Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM), which can be obtained through classroom or relevant project experience (doesn't have to be management experience), and work towards PMP (Project Management Professional), which is obtained through relevant management experience...

can be applied to technical stuff (IT system and software development life cycles) or non technical aspects (program management, change management, among others)...

I'd like to pose a question in this thread, does anyone have any professional certifications, and if you do how would you say it has helped you career wise?

Last edited:
I'm in the medical/rehab setting and as part of continuing education there are many certifications for therapists on different approaches to use with patients. While it may not be necessary, it does help set you apart. I haven't gotten any yet because i'm currently doing my CF year but over time there are some that are really interesting and could help with patients imho. Downside is that in my field these things cost a bit.

OP you could take a CPR and first aid class. Or go into coding.

I'd like to pose a question in this thread, does anyone have any professional certifications, and if you do how would you say it has helped you career wise?

CPA and I work in audit. The CPA is required to move into most senior management positions in accounting and audit.

The CPA certification gets me considered for jobs that I may not without the cert.

Yeah I was an accounting major so the ceiling that non CPAs run into is all too familiar to me. Props to you for getting through that.

CRISC, CISM, CISA, Sigma Six, PMP, CSM, CCEE, CCA, CEH, and ITIL.

Gonna take the ITIL test soon. Want my CEH, CCEE, and CRISC eventually.

Last edited:
^supposed to get my yellow belt six sigma from work in a couple months. Everyone I know who's taking ITIL foundations says it's a joke.

OP honestly in my opinion nothing will match when you just get out of college. In the 4 years that have passed 4 years of students landing into leadership programs and Fortune 500 company jobs. Yeah some certifications can help but you have 4 years of call center experience which doesn't really translate well into getting into corporate roles. It's either you try yo rank up and move up into management in call center which you should be able to do but I guess a bachelors degree in business is a dime a dozen these days.

I have a friend who's s recent IT graduate who is working at a call center for AON because he didn't land a "good job" out the gates. His only real option is to continue education.

Though four years out is a little while I would say right now see if you can get into a leadership program. Some companies won't mind if you're a couple years out I know in my program we had someone in compliance 2 years out of school.

Back
Top Bottom